PoE - Sales figures STEAM

I truly wish I had waited to buy this. Instead, I was so excited that I decided to pre-order, and then Obsidian had to reveal their true face of censorship by censoring the you know what poem. Now I have a game that I bought but will never play...serves me right for not waiting. That's why the smart people wait, not only do they get it for less, but they can also avoid situations like this.

I'm not commenting on the politics of any particular discussion, but if you think a third party created an injustice, don't let them create another one by denying you the enjoyment of the game on top of it. Whatever politics abound, it's still a game, you own it, and it would be a shame if you let someone else deprive you of its use. I know tempers are running hot on this issue, but I just hope you reconsider and at least give the game a shot. Hell, even if you really love it, I'm not saying come back and praise the game. Keep complaining if you want, but at least get the use of the product you've purchased. :Cant's Dutch uncle icon:

It wasn't a third party that created the "injustice" though. It was Obsidian, who decided, to pursue a policy of censorship and displayed themselves as anti-free speech. It feels wrong for me that my money has gone to a company, whose values, are entirely against my own. I am a strong proponent and believer in free speech and dislike censorship, which is a polar opposite to the values Obsidian displayed in this situation. It feels wrong for me to play a game, knowing that it was produced by a developer who does not believe in the right of free speech and easily caves in to special interests just to make a quick buck.

You don't really know what the terms "free speech" and "censorship" mean, do you?

• Like 10

when are people going to learn, sales dont equate quality or success or legacy. its that type of thinking that drive places like Ubisoft and EA and why some of the most memorible games this year have been things like Wastelands2, Divinity:Original Sin, Cities Skyline and this.

• Like 1

when are people going to learn, sales dont equate quality or success or legacy. its that type of thinking that drive places like Ubisoft and EA and why some of the most memorible games this year have been things like Wastelands2, Divinity:Original Sin, Cities Skyline and this.

Y'know they don't develop games out of thin air.  We are happy that they will earn enough to have the freedom they need to create more games on their own..

plus if it sales well enough it might shift the industry towards a better direction.

• Like 1

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Awesome to hear, and it is still going strong on the top sellers lists. Pretty hopeful that they'll make  at least 3-400k in sales over all platforms in the coming week or so, and 500k before the first proper sale, possibly this summer.

I am shocked to notice that Finland is ahead of both Italy and Spain for owners. Shocked! And who gets the localization?

I demand Ikuisuuden Pylväät! And a ranger companion named Kyösti! With a bear named Juuso! My whims must be catered to! Finland Stronk!

• Like 6

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

according to that site, we got 20,000 more sales :D that's a pretty good post-second week. still going quite strong. i hope strong sales means obsidian is free from the necessity of kickstarter for pillars 2 and beyond.

Edited by apolloooo

That's over £7m after Steam's cut, if I'm not mistaken, providing it's actual sales without the backer copies. 

Oh my. Obsidian said the profits from the game will go towards funding the expansion.

That means they'll have about 2 times as much money for the expansion as they did for the main game.

Needless to say, I'm very eager to see the end result.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You got to remember that games like Original Sin and the others that have been out for a very long time ruled the top sales spot for a long time(something crazy like over a month) and even now are still selling solid. In comparison to Original Sin I am absolutely certain that PoE is doing a lot better and in the long term will come out on top of all the titles you mentioned by far.

1zq6793.jpg

That's over £7m after Steam's cut, if I'm not mistaken, providing it's actual sales without the backer copies. 

Well, that's rather good news after a week.

Except, this is just looking at who owns the game, which would include a good chunk of the 77k original backers.  I had 6x copies (1x Royal and 5x Hero editions) , all which have been redeemed on Steam which gave Obsidian and Steam no new sales.

I am shocked to notice that Finland is ahead of both Italy and Spain for owners. Shocked! And who gets the localization?

I demand Ikuisuuden Pylväät! And a ranger companion named Kyösti! With a bear named Juuso! My whims must be catered to! Finland Stronk!

That's just trust in Finland's reportedly excellent education - they assume everyone speaks enough English anyway. Be proud. wink.png:grin:

Edited by Varana
  • Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I feel you, man. I recently discovered that the manufacturer of my dishwasher, and I don't like to name names in such sensitive situations, decided to not include any homophobic jokes (or any jokes at all!!) in their owner's manual. Worse than that, I learned that a technical writer at the company did in fact attempt to include such a wonderful joke in an early draft of the manual, and that the evil CEO decided to do away with it after it was discovered during the editing process! Needless to say, as I am in full support of all companies including such jokes in their works and therefore against their removal under any and all circumstances, I must now wash all of my dishes by hand. Life, it's pretty rough when you've got real principles like I do.

As for the sales figures, looks like things are going pretty well. Good to see.

God I've been looking for information about the game all day and all I could read was about this meaningless argument. Thanks for brightening my day mate.

Anyway, I hope the game is selling well because as much as Wasteland 2 and Divinity were good games, I sincerely belive PoE is better. It's a true success and I'm sincerely happy I backed it. I wish Obsidian the best of luck for future sale numbers!

Edited by Any_ILL

I truly wish I had waited to buy this. Instead, I was so excited that I decided to pre-order, and then Obsidian had to reveal their true face of censorship by censoring the you know what poem. Now I have a game that I bought but will never play...serves me right for not waiting. That's why the smart people wait, not only do they get it for less, but they can also avoid situations like this.

I'm not commenting on the politics of any particular discussion, but if you think a third party created an injustice, don't let them create another one by denying you the enjoyment of the game on top of it. Whatever politics abound, it's still a game, you own it, and it would be a shame if you let someone else deprive you of its use. I know tempers are running hot on this issue, but I just hope you reconsider and at least give the game a shot. Hell, even if you really love it, I'm not saying come back and praise the game. Keep complaining if you want, but at least get the use of the product you've purchased. :Cant's Dutch uncle icon:

It wasn't a third party that created the "injustice" though. It was Obsidian, who decided, to pursue a policy of censorship and displayed themselves as anti-free speech. It feels wrong for me that my money has gone to a company, whose values, are entirely against my own. I am a strong proponent and believer in free speech and dislike censorship, which is a polar opposite to the values Obsidian displayed in this situation. It feels wrong for me to play a game, knowing that it was produced by a developer who does not believe in the right of free speech and easily caves in to special interests just to make a quick buck.

You do not know what the Right of Free Speech is.  Everyone involved exercised free speech in that situation.

• Like 3

Can people just let this freaking thing go already? It's minor crap. Nobody cares......people probably should have just have just shut up about it in the first place and let it be but no apparently some people got butthurt and started creating words to whine about it so Obsidian discussed a change with the creator so it's done. It doesn't matter, nobody cares either way even if I would have preferred that Obsidian had said f___ political correctness we don't care how much you whine, this isn't about you so go take your butthurt elsewhere.

Edited by Darth Trethon
  • Like 5

1zq6793.jpg

Oh my. Obsidian said the profits from the game will go towards funding the expansion.

That means they'll have about 2 times as much money for the expansion as they did for the main game.

Needless to say, I'm very eager to see the end result.

Hopefully it begins with hiring Nick Offerman to do the narration.

• Like 2

You're allowed to speak your mind, but no-one is required to give you a forum in which to do so. Private companies can censor however they like in their own dominion.

Deal with it.

Companies can censor what they want.

Consumers can choose what company to support, though.

Increasingly so, as time gives them more and more tools (from boycott campaigns to social media endorsements, from piracy to Kickstarter) to influence a company. And especially so for a company like Obsidian, who has a much-higher than average reliance on an affectionate fanbase.

In my opinion, a very bad judgement call was made in this case — someone did not realize that Obsidian was thrusting its head in the crossfire of a warzone by acknowledging this thing, and a minor, soon-forgotten issue has become a PR catastrophe that has no solution.

If a great game like PoE suffers for such a stupid thing, it's going to be a colossal pity.

Its not fair.

This game hasn't sold as much as it deserves.

Oh maybe I know why ... 'My favorite game is Halo / CoD' ... 'Lol why u waste money on a PC instead of just buying a console?'

If only murder wasn't illegal.

• Like 1

I don't think the profits from this game are going to be used to write some million dollar bonus checks; they'll be used to produce the next game.

Oh, Paradox presumably gets their cut too; forgot about them.

Maybe, but InXile are still going back to kickstarter for the new bards tale game even after the big success of wasteland 2.Nothing is stopping obsidian doing the same.