What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

At least it's better than Arrow.

There are some things I really like about Arrow, but man, they love to turn it into Dawson's Creek about twice an episode.

The first season of Arrow was really good, imo. It feels like it is getting worse with every season.

Finished Daredevil in a binge. There's a few things that irked me on a personal level but that's just story type stuff. Good series, good acting, fun absurd action ... but what a dorky costume (or hat, mostly, I suppose). Sorry, but it's true. Although could be said of most hero costumes. :lol:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, I was watching Lucha Underground on Wednesday when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCeyQnmpuo

You don't need to be a rasslin' fan to appreciate the sheer insanity of that.  That's not CGI, that's an actual thing that happened. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So I've been watching the "hallway fight" from Daredevil over and over, and I began wondering who the stuntman for Daredevil was, because he's actually quite good at not just the fight moves, but the silent physical acting in that scene. They do a good job with the stuntman changeups, btw, but I can still tell when it's not Cox (eg, most of the time it's not Cox...). Anyway, apparently it's the same stuntman who was one of the doubles for Capt. America, among other things. He's a busy guy apparently.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2423528/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr97

All those awesome fight scenes where we're admiring someone's moves...I always want to know more about them, not the actor who's mostly pretending. Also, I need to go to some more martial arts exhibitions again. Fun to watch.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So, I was watching Lucha Underground on Wednesday when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCeyQnmpuo

You don't need to be a rasslin' fan to appreciate the sheer insanity of that. That's not CGI, that's an actual thing that happened.

Is that Matt Striker on commentary? Ditching him from the Smackdown commentary team was one of WWE's worst decisions.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Somebody told me to watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I feel like my brain is melting. I'm not sure what is happening at all.

The teach how to act straight bit was hilarious.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Unbreakable, they alive dammit, its a miracle!

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

The new spin-off is being called Fear the Walking Dead. Is there an award for the most inane title of the year?

Well, ever since "The Dark Knight Rises" (simply appending a word to the previous film's title, wtf?) and "Star Trek Into Darkness" (too cool for punctuation, huh?), nothing really surprises me anymore in that regard.

Sh*tty movie/TV titles seem to be the norm now.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

’Tis but thy name that is my enemy;    
Thou art thyself though, not a Montague.    
What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,    
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part           
Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:    
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose    
By any other name would smell as sweet;    
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,    
Retain that dear perfection which he owes           
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name;    
And for that name, which is no part of thee,    
Take all myself.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Wolf Hall on Masterpiece. It's pretty great IMO, although often hard to follow at parts.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hubby's running through The Guardian, an older lawyer type of series. In one, Michael Dorn has a small guest role. I'll always think of him as Mr. Woof and hence it's always a bit odd to see him without Klingon makeup. :lol:

Makes me want to toss in some ST:TNG DVD's.

• Like 1

Glad I don't watch SJW shows.

How is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt a SJW show?

I assume he took that out of context snippet of "females are strong as hell" to heart. We all know it doesn't take more than that for some MRA to completely lock up. No use arguing. ;)

Glad I don't watch SJW shows.

How is Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt a SJW show?

I assume he took that out of context snippet of "females are strong as hell" to heart. We all know it doesn't take more than that for some MRA to completely lock up. No use arguing. ;)

Well if you think about it, all the major characters are women, gay, or minorities, and all the bad guys are white males.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, 90% of the humor comes from making fun of how ridiculous said minority characters are, not to shove them down your throat as paragons of diversity. Nobody comes out of this thing with dignity.

It's also that it's essential to pretty much every single character's personality, plots and arcs and the whole setup of the show (being an extreme exaggeration of the fish out of the water in the insanity of big city life trope kindof requires that Kimmy meets the most insane of the insane) - not out of tokenism, which I'd consider essential to SJW television myself.

There's a difference between a show having diverse characters and a show being "SJW". There's really nothing in it to justify calling it that other than being insecure because it doesn't focus on a white dude. If it was an SJW show it'd be preachy and filled with bland tokenism pandering that could offend no one, and this show clearly does not qualify. :p

If it was an SJW show it'd be preachy and filled with bland tokenism pandering that could offend no one, and this show clearly does not qualify. tongue.png

I agree 100%. It feels like a very same argument SJWs throw against white men in TV. Gender or sexuality of a character doesn't matter. What matters is how well the character is written and acted. I found Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt to be very funny show.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

2 Episodes into the 1st season of Bates Motel.  Promising so far. Like how it feels like the films (although so far it feels more Psycho 2 than Psycho) even with all the changes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man