What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

Where do you watch it? It sounds like exactly what I want in wrestling. I miss old WWE with brainwashing cults, vampires, snd the Ministry of Darkness. With Mankind falling off the top of the cage onto some tacks and Jeff Hardy doing a moonsault off a 20 ft ladder.

It's on the El Rey Network at 8 PM EDT on Wednesdays.   If you don't get El Rey Network you can find episodes on dailymotion.  Not sure how legal that is, but they're there.

Also, they have a guy who wears a deer head to the ring, because, why wouldn't he?

tumblr_nfvwrkGYKB1teumb9o1_500.png

Someone tell that man to put it back on the wall where it belongs, pronto.

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

not as if Gromnir is a huge hyperion fan, but am afraid that this is gonna look like sharknado.  visually, am not sure how syfy can hope to do justice to the material, but beyond the production values, the plot is... weird.  between the shrike and keats and all the other convoluted sci-fi crap in the books, is actual kinda impressive how simmons made the novel(s) work.  that being said, the books is deeply introspective and am expecting that any adaptation beyond print is gonna need rely on tortious amounts o' exposition.

*shrug*

this project is limited to train-wreck interest for us.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Did anybody catch the premiere of Whispers? It's a sci-fi series on ABC about children being contacted by a mysterious invisible entity; possibly an alien. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I think it has some potential.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

So Game of Thrones ended. Spoiler below:

Jon Snow's death did absolutely nothing for me. You can only kill off so many lead characters before it becomes run of the mill.

Book fans have been theorizing that it will bring about his rebirth as Azor Ahai, as whenever Melisandre asks for a glimpse of Azor Ahai in the flames, all she sees is Snow, and some of the circumstances surrounding his assassination are somewhat consistant with the prophecy.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Speaking of major character death, did anyone see the premiere of Defiance?

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think I really would have preferred if the albinos had bought it rather than the McCawleys, they're the most illogically plotted group of the lot and really ought to have died last season. Defiance is perhaps the worst plotted serial I've seen, they have a habit for writing themselves into corners and dropping threads or having weird or no consequences on a week to week basis. Still, it's oddly enjoyable and consistently entertaining even at its worst.

So Game of Thrones ended. Spoiler below:

Jon Snow's death did absolutely nothing for me. You can only kill off so many lead characters before it becomes run of the mill.

Reaction videos on YouTube are again epic though. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Really? Because it literally did not affect me. When the Red Wedding happened, I was open-mouthed, making involuntary noises of consternation. Here, I said "huh".

To be honest it's hard to say. I've read the books before they were made into GoT (except A Dance With Dragons obviously) so I was more affected by book spoilers in the show, or what I believe really are spoilers and not just detours or omissions made in the adaptations. Still struggling with the decision of whether I should even watch season six next near or not (season 5 also had a drop in quality and tension, but so did the book).

Back to the question at hand the entire scene was handled a little differently in A Dance With Dragons and was a little bit more of a surprise, as much as such things can be a surprise after the first four books (or four seasons). The show telegraphed a little too much, I suppose to justify rushing through everything a sufficiently cliffhangerish episode ten.

Curious to see that both the producers and Kit Harrington are adamant that Jon is really dead. Why bother bringing Melisandre back to the Wall out of all places available if not to facilitate Jon's resurrection in the same way Thoros of Myr resurrected Beric Dondarrion. Her going back makes literally no sense at all, unless she wants to die, but there are ways to die without either being brutally slaughtered by very pissed off wildlings or potentially raped or worse by a bunch of known criminals that just assassinated their elected leader. *shrug*

Kit even gave an interview saying he got no goodbye present from the showrunners, you know, unlike others did. Make of that what you will. :)

Edited by majestic

Some GoT/ asoiaf book spoilers below, may or may not turn out to be show relevant

My guess, he'll be back and ultimately as Jon Stark or as Jon Targaryen technically fulfilling the statement that Jon Snow is dead. Don't really know how they could handle either in show convincingly but book wise he was legitimised by Robb prior to his death and there is the whole Rhaegar and Lyanna being Jon's parents thing too. Surely that has to be used at some stage or Chekov will have an aneurysm.

As a side effect, being killed removes any oaths to the Nights Watch. Prior to book 5 I presumed it would be done because he swore to the Old Gods rather than the 7, but death certainly does it too.

Finished binge watching seasons one and two of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I ignored it when it initially came out because I kept hearing that it's boring and of poor quality, and while the production and special effects are sometimes a bit on the bad side (especially noticable in the beginning where you can literally see  which episodes the entire show's budget went into) I'm not sure what people usually watch when they think this is boring.

It was easily more entertaining than the last two seasons of GoT, and the plot is certainly no less contrived or silly than that of other, similar shows.

I adore this course, a brand new American golf course hosting the U.S. Open this weekend. A seemingly British-style links course with tall, brown grass, mottled gray/green/brown fairways indistinguishable from the hole greens, and graphite-colored sand traps look like matte mercury puddles. It's called Chambers Bay, by Puget Sound near Tacoma, Washington.

Also first time I've seen Fox Sports cover a golf tournament. Somehow it isn't obnoxious or ingratiating, just fun to watch. Plus another eight-and-a-half hours of live coverage tomorrow.

Quote of the day: "Just like rollin' around on a piece of melba toast"  :lol:

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Orphan Black knows the formula for a good season finale. Tie up the major plot points for the season, but introduce hooks for the next. Too many shows rely on cliffhangers.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Never saw a sporting event with more nerve, raw drama, singular heartbreak, debilitating illness, expressive anger, unquenchable spirit, and bonkers lead changes as the 115th U.S. Open Golf Championship. The guy slammed his putter at the hole and denounced the organizing USGA as incompetent. The other guy fought vertigo to finish day-three tied for the lead. Someone else bogeyed four of six holes in the last round only to face a one-putt eagle for the win, and failed. The next guy became the youngest winner since 1923, the youngest player to win two majors since 1922, and the sixth player in history to win the Masters and the U.S. Open in the same year. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

Never saw a sporting event with more nerve, raw drama, singular heartbreak, debilitating illness, expressive anger, unquenchable spirit, and bonkers lead changes as the 115th U.S. Open Golf Championship. The guy slammed his putter at the hole and denounced the organizing USGA as incompetent. The other guy fought vertigo to finish day-three tied for the lead. Someone else bogeyed four of six holes in the last round only to face a one-putt eagle for the win, and failed. The next guy became the youngest winner since 1923, the youngest player to win two majors since 1922, and the sixth player in history to win the Masters and the U.S. Open in the same year. 

And people think Golf is boring  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela