Questions about Class and Personality Dialogue Options

Do we know how reactive the world is going to be to player class?  Or is personality choices/background/culture going to play more of a role?  Still having a hard time deciding between a Chanter (better gameplay)  or a Paladin (better for my role playing).  I'm guessing no full on class quests but if there is little class dependent dialogue it would affect my choice. 

Also, I played an older beta for maybe an hour and one thing I noticed that "clever"  options most often were "be a smart ass" and were borderline rude.  I envisioned playing an intellectual Darcozzi Paladin, meaning I would be pushed to choose clever most of the time but if the result is picking fights and being a jerk rather than being able to impress people with wit I may build a different character. Is this the impression other have gotten or have I just not seen enough?

As a side note, I know Bleak Walkers are all the rage but does the Darcozzi Fire Shield Talent seem at least passable?  I would be a tank getting hit a lot. 

Nobody knows exactly how much, but there will definitely be some feedback and special dialogue options depending on class.

edit. Also I think if you are in doubt about class, take the one you will enjoy rp'ing (the paladin). Good luck and have fun :)

Edited by Polanski

What I really would like to know is how high Intelect/Resolve/Perception need to be to open new dialogue options. My main char in this type of game always have high charisma because I like to talk my way out of situations, but since PoE have 3 attributes related to dialogue Im kind of lost of how to build my char. 

• Like 4

What I really would like to know is how high Intelect/Resolve/Perception need to be to open new dialogue options. My main char in this type of game always have high charisma because I like to talk my way out of situations, but since PoE have 3 attributes related to dialogue Im kind of lost of how to build my char. 

The main thing to remember is that they designed it so that the unlocked dialogue options, are not nescessarily a win-button, just something that your character has the personality to say/do.

Also I believe all stats will be used in dialogue at some point, though not evenly so. It even says in the character creation which stats are for what unlocking which dialogue types. So make the character you feel most like rp'ing.

Edited by Polanski
  • Like 3

There will be specific dialogues for all classes.

I imagine that [rational/[clever]/[stoic]/[etc] will have different effect depending who are we talking to. Some people may be irritated by specific options - may be [clever], but it can be as well [benevolent] or [rational]. When you will be talking with some Bleak Walker Paladin - even choosing [cruel] or [aggresive] may be perceived well.

Theres intelligence for making dialogue based on your brains and Rational for making logical choices. Clever is being snarky basically yeah.  I suppose you could consider it a euphemism so instead of getting a reputation for being a giant tool, people are like "Oh did you hear about Bob the Chanter. He's.... clever"

• Like 3

Wondering this too. And yes I know ALL the attributes will be used but I'm also pretty sure I heard somewhere that Intellect, resolve and perception would be used most often. And I also know that they're not automatic win buttons (which I really like btw) but I still want those options. Though what I'm really wondering is if there's any class that would function relatively well if I chose to focus on those three things.

You won't be able to make all checks with one character, don't go crazy trying to do it. Just make a character however you would normally make it and go along with the choices you wuld normally make. Resolve checks etc aren't going to be better than any other option in general they are most for flavour.

• Like 2

Damn... Since I  plan on playing a cipher having a high resolve is out of the question.. and afaik resolve is  used quite often in dialogues.

I share you pain. I'm going to play a non-tanky Paladin, and I wanted him to be Perception/Resolve, hahaha, yeah right.

I'm going to fix the Attributes via modding myself, though, provided that Obsidian actually fixes the assets issue in the first patch (...:rolleyes:). But damn if it's not annoying having to do so.

t50aJUd.jpg

Damn... Since I  plan on playing a cipher having a high resolve is out of the question.. and afaik resolve is  used quite often in dialogues.

I share you pain. I'm going to play a non-tanky Paladin, and I wanted him to be Perception/Resolve, hahaha, yeah right.

I'm going to fix the Attributes via modding myself, though, provided that Obsidian actually fixes the assets issue in the first patch (... :rolleyes:). But damn if it's not annoying having to do so.

What's the difference between "fixing" the attributes... and "cheating"?  Sounds.....clever!?

Clever – sarcastic, sassy, foppish, or irreverent.

Not my idea of clever.  Especially the irreverent part.

Sounds like you want "rational" not "clever". Which seems right to me -- "clever" is almost never an unmixed compliment, as it often implies shallowness and being overly elaborate for its own sake.

Edited by RedSocialKnight

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Clever – sarcastic, sassy, foppish, or irreverent.

Not my idea of clever.  Especially the irreverent part.

Sounds like you want "rational" not "clever". Which seems right to me -- "clever" is almost never an unmixed compliment, as it often implies shallowness and being overly elaborate for its own sake.

It's because in RL I've worked on being clever and smart in conversation without seeming rude or snotty because when I was younger people just thought I was a complete smart ass.  Rational is described as being practical, standoffish, or cold.  So not as much that.  Clever is what I would want, but not this iteration of it.  Maybe if it was "humorous" instead of irreverent.  I guess I'll have to rely on the Intelligent and Perceptive and passionate dialogues more then.

Damn... Since I plan on playing a cipher having a high resolve is out of the question.. and afaik resolve is used quite often in dialogues.

I'm going to fix the Attributes via modding myself, though, provided that Obsidian actually fixes the assets issue in the first patch (... rolleyes.gif). But damn if it's not annoying having to do so.

What's the difference between "fixing" the attributes... and "cheating"? Sounds.....clever!?

Cheating implies an intent to, well, cheat.

t50aJUd.jpg

Keep in mind also that different people will perceive you differently. So if you are known for being Clever then some people will think you are pretty smart, and some people will think you are a smart-arse. If you are known for being Honest some people will respect your integrity, some people will try to take advantage because they think you are a chump etc etc.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, this game is nowhere near Bioware perfection in class/skill based dialogs. :-(

It took me only a few hours of play to get the following option:

- "[Might 15] : Lift <NPC> off his feet" and when selected "<NPC> struggles in your arms."

I play sorceress so it is completely inadequate. Might shares power for spell/muscles what is fine but the dialog options fail (as usually in 99% of sloppy made RPGs) to recognize class correctly.

This ruins my immersion in RPGs immensely and is one of primary reasons why I love (only) Bioware games. I was hoping Obsidian got up to their standards in this areas but it seems not. I never seen such mishap in DAI for example. Add missing romance to it and I don't think I'm in mood to find out what everything else is missing or half/made regarding character's recognition by the world around.