Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fanart | Custom Portraits

portraits custom portraits fanart races painted non-human

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

sdunny

sdunny

Artist

• Developers
  • 13 posts

These are awesome.

• Karkarov, ProjectBG2Respawn, Wespenfresser and 2 others like this

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

MOAR!!!

BTW: I'll using that Wild Orlan portrait as my first main. Well friggin' done.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

With the watermark though?

• Karkarov likes this

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

Honestly they deserve to be in the actual game.

IF THE WATER MARK WASN'T THERE.

BTW: Do you have a version without the water mark?

Edited by Namutree, 22 March 2015 - 08:41 PM.

• InsaneCommander likes this

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

With the watermark though?

I'll cut the portrait down to below the water mark.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, that's what I mean. The watermark seems a bit pointless because people will just cut the portrait down.

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

Yeah, that's what I mean. The watermark seems a bit pointless because people will just cut the portrait down.

I think he put them there for some kinda proof he's the artist or something.

ryukenden

ryukenden

Archwarrior of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

These artwork are sexy. The first picture reminds me of Valygar from BG2.

Kaz

Kaz

Concept Artist

• Developers
  • 140 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
These are really nice, great job! We're still lacking portraits for races exclusive to our game, so any additions are very welcome. Thanks for sharing.
  • TrueNeutral, Karkarov, Malekith and 6 others like this

PBJam

PBJam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 286 posts

like i said in the other thread, this site has the in-game portraits from backer beta for reference, though a dev said that some of those portraits have been modified for release, as well as that many new ones will be added!!

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

This guys artwork has made the custom portraits thread I started obsolete.

Havelok

Havelok

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

However, saying that "it defeats of purpose of posting them in a community setting" is somewhat over the top, in my opinion.

I mean, it might not be ideal, but seriously ..at worst that makes them non-portrait-ready fanart.

That way it just sounds like it would make any signatures or watermarks disqualifying in a community setting....

As a creative myself, I have to tell you that there is value in your work beyond self promotion. I tend to follow the Mandala Creed, wherein one's creative works should not be hoarded but instead set free to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the work. The moment you become paranoid  about 'keeping' the work you have already created is the moment you start losing the ability to create more. This isn't anti sales either, as the moment you sell a work of art you must also let it go. 

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission, but I find that extremely silly. 

I'd rather you do it yourself. I implore you to feel confident enough in your artistic ability to distribute your work freely, everyone here will love you for it. 

• Doppelschwert, Endrosz, Oneiromancer and 1 other like this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This guys artwork has made the custom portraits thread I started obsolete.

Her artwork.

Fredward

Fredward

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 138 posts

These are amazing! And that orlan is the most adorable thing I have ever seen.

• Wespenfresser likes this

Bazy

Bazy

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

More please.

Wespenfresser

Wespenfresser

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I'm not in the industry, but it sure seems like to me you definitely have the ability. I'd encourage you to reach out to some of the people at these companies, they always need art assets.  And the more you post the more likely you'll catch the eye of someone important.  Best of luck!  

I looked up your website and it looks like it's down at the moment.  If you have a Tumblr or other blog I'd love to check out your other work though.

Thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement :) 

Yeah, it's pretty down. I have a tumblr, but I'm not that active. Most of my stuff is on deviantart.

I probably should post some more interesting stuff, though.

Wow that is some crazy good talent you got there. Well done!

EDIT: Do you accept commissions (with payment) for a customized portrait? :D

Thank you<3

Depends on the payment. ;) In general yes, of course.

Though, if it would feature something PoE specific, I might have to ask if that's actually okay. (I don't usually do fanart, because reasons.)

I like your portraits, but do you expect people to play with a huge logo of your company on their portrait? Are you going to remove the logo for people to be able to use the portraits?

I don't feel like a company....

But no, I would expect them to crop them, as they would have to anyways, if I am not going to supply 2 different smaller versions. ;)

yeah - I use a 3D program then postwork with some filters and touch-ups.

Wish I could paint properly but I get by.

I encourage you to post more of your work - they're ace (and we do need some more portraits for aumaua/orlan/godlike types :) )

What kind of program?

I tried some 3D before, but I didn't get too far ..to much time in between. (made some interesting tests, but never anything finished i think.)

Well you could learn it...;)

Those are the ones I care most about anyways.:p

Specifically, I'm going to play an Orlan Cipher from Old Vaila who is fleeing his slave past and has gone a little crazy and a little native in the Dyrwood; courteous, polite, passionate, and viciously/brutally pragmatic. I'm planning on refusing to discuss my slave past at the beginning, being pretty open about other stuff, and hopefully having the option to slowly reveal my slave past over the course of the game as I deal with the problems and issues facing me.

A dream portrait would require an Orlan who is, at the least, scarred and a little wild-eyed. :)

I can't quite visualize the personality right now, but that might be a good thing. ;)
Have you posted something about the start of the game making that non-discussing problematic? Or was that another slave-person(errr)? I have no idea were I red that, just reminded me of it.

Don't get your hopes up.;( I just had to google "wild-eyed" and now I might never sleep.... (Well, it's 6:30am anyways..) Guy or girl though?

It's a compromise.

I mean, I obviously don't want them to have it in-game...  I just never post stuff without my name on it.

The only difference is, that I put this "up there" instead of buttom-right corner.  Neither is crop-resistant, this just seemed more practical for this purpose.

I'll cut the portrait down to below the water mark.

Go! You can do it. Just don't post it around, please.;)

(Should it not work properly, please tell me tough.)

She. But yeah, kinda. I just always do this. It doesn't usually cause such a fuss.

The logo is relatively new, I used to just write my name and the date on it. (I have a terrible handwriting.)

So you will not remove the watermark, correct?

You're only posting these to self-promote, but you emphatically do not want people to use these portraits in game, correct?

Uhm...no. On all of these. O_o

• ManifestedISO, Silent Winter, ashtonw and 1 other like this

PBJam

PBJam

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 286 posts

yea they are good

like someone said, cut the watermarks so we can use them :)

Bester

Bester

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 800 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Uhm...no. On all of these. O_o

But no, I would expect them to crop them, as they would have to anyways

Alright, but why do you assume I would crop the top off, as you say, "anyways"? The orlan's ears would be partially cut off. If I was to use your portraits, I'd like to use them as you drew them with these image proportions, instead of cropping stuff out.

This isn't anti sales either, as the moment you sell a work of art you must also let it go.

This isn't about sales, because posting these pictures doesn't imply that they're under CC0. And anyone interested can always use google images to find the author. There is no rational explanation here, simple as that.

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission

You have the right to do that under fair use. Please do, people would only benefit from it. Plus, the author isn't against it in the first place.

• Luckmann and Sif like this

Namutree

Namutree

• Members
  • 1711 posts

She. But yeah, kinda. 

Oops my bad.:)

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2202 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great job, but aumaua portrait is superb.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: portraits, custom portraits, fanart, races, painted, non-human

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users