NFL 2015 Season

Gromnir

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I liked this (emphasis mine):

Manning is believed to have ownership stakes in some Louisiana beer distributorships that deal with Anheuser-Busch, so the player may have had his own reasons for plugging the brew – or perhaps he was just giving an honest detail about his plans for later this evening.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, that was a weird move by Cam. I wonder if he will try to explain it?

We've all heard the stories of what happens inside an NFL dogpile. Two word probably entered Newton's head: Manu Ginobili.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/4/10918660/manu-ginobili-injury-spurs-testicles-no

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah, that was a weird move by Cam. I wonder if he will try to explain it?

We've all heard the stories of what happens inside an NFL dogpile. Two word probably entered Newton's head: Manu Ginobili.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/2/4/10918660/manu-ginobili-injury-spurs-testicles-no

I have been known to pull my groin from time to time.  :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

People whining aboutCam not diving in are scumbags. Those things are dangerous and do you really want your QB to dive in head firsty? L0L I bet if he did and got seriously injued people would bash him for taking such a dangerous risk. Afterall, people get on both the NFL and players for risks like concussions so it seems hypocritivcal to expect such a move like that.

As for gamne, all defence. That Denver coach hates Peyton. He reallty did everything he could to make Peyton look awful this season with the horrible playcalling. the D covered it up.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

L0L I bet if he did and got seriously injued people would bash him for taking such a dangerous risk. 

No.  It's the ****ing Superbowl.  If that was like week 8, I might...  might be inclined to agree with you, but that was the ****ing Superbowl.  If there's ever a game where you go all out and risk life and limb that is it.  You never know, that may have been Cam's first and only chance to win one ever.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thinking on the dogpile play a bit more, I doubt he was thinking about avoiding an injury on the play.  This game is happening at an incredibly fast rate, it's easy to look at a .gif and question the guy, but really it's tough to make the right choice that quick.  That's why they practice and drill all the time, but this type of play is hard to prepare for.  

I mean, if his thoughts are really about avoiding injury, football probably isn't a great career choice.

Thinking on the dogpile play a bit more, I doubt he was thinking about avoiding an injury on the play.  This game is happening at an incredibly fast rate, it's easy to look at a .gif and question the guy, but really it's tough to make the right choice that quick.  That's why they practice and drill all the time, but this type of play is hard to prepare for.  

I mean, if his thoughts are really about avoiding injury, football probably isn't a great career choice.

In fairness, I was just as befuddled when I first saw that play live in real time as I was seeing the gif.  It's just that I've been watching NFL for a very long time and I've seen that exact scenario play out dozens, probably hundreds of times, and I mean specifically a fumble near the QB (whether the QB was stripped, the RB fumbled, the exchange was fumbled between the QB and RB, the snap was fumbled, etc.) not just a fumble anywhere (I've seen that thousands of times), and in every case previous, and I mean an absolute 100%, the QB immediately tried to dive on the ball without hesitation, same as every other player near it.  That's what struck me as being so odd about it.  That was literally the only time I've seen someone not immediately dive for the ball when it was at their feet.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"I don't dive on one fumble because the way my leg was, it could have been contorted in a way."

Cam: We didn't lose Super Bowl because of one fumble.

Yeah, see that makes more sense.  He felt he was in an awkward position originally.  He did jump in a second later and try to get it.  That is a justified reason for him hesitating.

He's wrong in saying that they didn't lose because of that one fumble, though: a field goal (which they closer than an XP for already...) makes that a two possession game, and given the seemingly insurmountable task of driving down the field with not too much time left once was already difficult, doing it two times in a row (and that's assuming a successful onside kick...) was basically impossible. It's the Super Bowl, man - this might very well be the only time you ever make it here (especially given the extremely tight competition in the NFC - the NFC really needs to lose one of its currently top tier team and the AFC needs to gain one). There's just no room for hesitation. One of your defensive guys is playing with a broken arm, and you're shying away from trying to save the game because of the mere potential for injury...

Not that I say I completely blame him - it's a literal split-second decision, and he nearly did it anyways. Pretty much any other reason he could've given - thinking it would bounce differently, just hesitating in the moment, even no reason at all - probably would've been better than, "I was scared of getting hurt, and made a decision to try avoid that even though it'll make me lose the biggest game of my career". But whatever, he and his team are pretty young - there'll be other chances. They've been saying the same thing about Aaron Rodgers and the Packers (and they said the same thing about Marino and Rivers and...) since his SB victory, though - things just don't always go your way in this game, so take advantage of the chance you already have.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"He's wrong in saying that they didn't lose because of that one fumble,"

he is right. They were ALREADY losing with time running out. Even if he had managed to get the fumble they would have been 4th and a billion  deep in their zone. But, yeah, they lost because of that fumble. COME ON.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"He's wrong in saying that they didn't lose because of that one fumble,"

he is right. They were ALREADY losing with time running out. Even if he had managed to get the fumble they would have been 4th and a billion  deep in their zone. But, yeah, they lost because of that fumble. COME ON.

Okay, if you want to be pedantic (and I know you do, tongue.png), it would be more correct to say they lost their pretty much sole chance (outside of a miracle) of a comeback with that fumble.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 2 weeks later...