The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

I dunno, I suppose it's for magic aficienados or something. Boring as all hell.

Hmmm, I've never even touched MtG in all my life, or any ccg that I can remember, and I'm quite enjoying Gwent. I like the occasional moment when I just can't decide whether to throw the first round or try adding a few decent cards to the field and get an early victory instead. The AI seems to sometimes be smart enough to use all their spy cards if you pass too early and that's not something you want to happen when you got decoy cards in your hand. Opportunity for nabbing a spy wasted Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

Gwent is OK, and best comparable to the card minigames in FF8/9 - lots of collecting across the whole game involved that you can do or ignore, and the fun being in building up your deck and crushing increasingly difficult opponents. It's not the light no-frills affair that dice or arm wrestling was. 

Not very far in but I think it's a superb game marred by its open world pretensions, which seeps in regrettable bits of MMO everywhere. 

• Like 1

The levels are pretty annoying. Lv 1 wolf you don't even bother to slow down for and all of a sudden I notice that there is  a pack of lv '???' wolves (the game throws that at you when you are supposed to run and come back later) following me. They don't slow down and I run out of stamina and they kill me in short order.

And they look exactly like the lv 1 wolf from before.

The same goes for the quests. Why they did not chose to level the main quests to mirror your own I do not understand. It very often gets 'too late' to complete a quest in the sense that it's going to be too easy and the reward loot is going to be useless. Feels very MMO-ish I agree. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I haven't encountered ??? wolves, only ghouls.

What sucks is picking up contracts that are for level 30+. I don't think I'm going to come back for these once I'm far in the main quest.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Sometimes I feel that placing a leveling mechanic for foes in the game was a mistake, in other words every creature (men included) should be of a set strength, and not scaled at all. After all Geralt has just about killed everything a la William Munny, the difficulty shouldn't really be reflected via level at all, except for important NPC's perhaps.

I also wonder why they didn't just continue and add to the four trees character development model of the second game, even at level 35 the Witcher could master no more than a single tree thoroughly. There was a glut of advancement and progression still available.

I'm also enjoying Gwent, surprising as I have no interest in Magic, Hearthstone or anything else. Indeed my reaction even to the Poe card game news was total apathy.

Edit: It shows what an old softy I have become that i'm actively trying to avoid killing Wolves and Bear, I really feel quite guilty about it, I wish developers would stop using such creatures.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

what i dont like in any game and also in this, is items with level requirements. it feels like a lazy and cheap way to restrict the player from getting strong faster than the developers want

im level 11, i have an armor since level 6, havent found anything so far to replace it, the next armor i can get is one that needs level 13 and offers 4x the protection of my current armor. so until i get to level 13 most enemies level 10+ are able to one shot me and then i will become invincible for enemies up to level 14

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Sometimes I feel that placing a leveling mechanic for foes in the game was a mistake, in other words every creature (men included) should be of a set strength, and not scaled at all. After all Geralt has just about killed everything a la William Munny, the difficulty shouldn't really be reflected via level at all, except for important NPC's perhaps.

I also wonder why they didn't just continue and add to the four trees character development model of the second game, even at level 35 the Witcher could master no more than a single tree thoroughly. There was a glut of advancement and progression still available.

I'm also enjoying Gwent, surprising as I have no interest in Magic, Hearthstone or anything else. Indeed my reaction even to the Poe card game news was total apathy.

Edit: It shows what an old softy I have become that i'm actively trying to avoid killing Wolves and Bear, I really feel quite guilty about it, I wish developers would stop using such creatures.

Seems like they could have cut the number of levels in half or even 2/3 and have been more generous with skill points. Sword damage could have been determined by sword skill, and the same with armor, and no limitations on what you could use.

Lv 20 sword doesn't realise it's damage potential before liv 20, until that it's -5% per missing level. Something like that. Lot's of options to do levels so they dont get in the way of your enjoyment of the game and still protect the core dificulty you are playing at. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Apparently there's a bug with patch 1.04 that stops quests recieved after installing the patch giving XP.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

i love how there is no happy ending in any of the quests. for anyone you choose to help, someone else gets F'd

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So uh.. I tried helping some children and I think a whole village just died.

Sorry guys :/

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Even Priscilla gets it. Damn you CD Projekt, stop trying so hard.

That was pretty enjoyable for a side quest. Heh, was running around with the damn blunt sword from Dandelion's quest - those guards seemed awful tough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A priest is torturing a hooker with a red hot poker and after you talk to him you have the option to just leave. Maybe it would make sense to do some data collection on players who chose that option and send them off to the police. :p

I mean, I'm glad the game has the width for those kinds of options, not many big titles would, but it is pretty creepy.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Are blade oils bugged?

I rarely seem able to apply new ones even after old ones are gone.

You should be able to apply new one any time you aren't in combat, even if there is already oil on blade previously new one use replaces it.

Hah, got a master crafted sword from that elf guy...and got a better version right after. I guess I should go finish the game, am nearly lvl 21.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

About that blade oil mechanic: I actually like it now. Hated the timer thing in TW2. Just wish they had done the same thing with using the whetstone and armor table. This 16 minutes timer... It annoys the hell out of me. Getting like 5 or 10 charges of "sharper attack" and "better hit protection" would have felt better to me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

About that blade oil mechanic: I actually like it now. Hated the timer thing in TW2. Just wish they had done the same thing with using the whetstone and armor table. This 16 minutes timer... It annoys the hell out of me. Getting like 5 or 10 charges of "sharper attack" and "better hit protection" would have felt better to me.

Yeah, but I feel like the guy that made it so potions could only be drank in meditation in W2 had a hand in making sure that oils cannot be used in combat in W3. They're pretty much useless if you don't know what you're facing or if you get surprise. Luckily they're most likely necrophages.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, but I feel like the guy that made it so potions could only be drank in meditation in W2 had a hand in making sure that oils cannot be used in combat in W3. They're pretty much useless if you don't know what you're facing or if you get surprise. Luckily they're most likely necrophages.

i must be playing a different game, because i can apply oils at any time durring combat (on hard)

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-