The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

**** Gwent and **** any stupid game where the NPC gets a handicap.

What handicap is that?  The only games of gwent I lost were when I had really crappy cards.  As soon as I started finding/buying/winning some hero cards, as well as special cards, I was unstoppable.

NPCs have already a good deck but I'm still trying to find how to build one, I buy a whole bunch of cards but merchants don't seem to carry more than 5 and from different decks. So at this point of the game I'm still playing with the damn temerians because I haven't been able to build a proper deck.

I stuck with the Temerian set because they seemed to be more plentiful.  I'm done the game, and still don't have complete sets of the other factions.

Best way to build a strong deck is to play against those players who will play for special cards (it's given as a quest), starting with the Baron in Velen and he'll have a list of other players who also will play for special cards.  That's how I got started with finding strong enough cards to compete with the better players.

You don't seem to get that in order to beat the strong players you need a better deck which is the sole purpose of beating them in the first place. There is no upward scale just a bunch of random spikes. The worst part is that this could all has an easy fix, sell basic deck in the game aside from individual cards. You know, like in RL. 

Also, **** whomever came up with the leveling up system. I've seen bad talent trees, I've seen bad games that level you into competence but restricting your abilities to slots that unlock upon reaching a level and then only giving you 9 slots. It's like the guy that designed it just decided to say "**** your choice, you're either a warrior a mage or a mutant", for a game with just one hybrid class it shouldn't really be that restrictive. It was easily fixed in previous games by just modding the amount of talent points but the skill slots really put a damper on that. 

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have 9,000 crowns and still 4,000 unused florens. Nothing useful to buy anyway.

the most costly thing i buy is food. all crafting materials i need, i find around and very rarely i may need to buy a piece of cloth or a spool of thread

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Given the leveling system and that you have to do a high level quest, several really, to get to tier three in alchemy I don't see why the game shouldn't let you build however many bombs you want. Towards the end my straight damage bombs did practically nothing although the debuff ones were still kinda usefull. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What handicap is that?  The only games of gwent I lost were when I had really crappy cards.  As soon as I started finding/buying/winning some hero cards, as well as special cards, I was unstoppable.

NPCs have already a good deck but I'm still trying to find how to build one, I buy a whole bunch of cards but merchants don't seem to carry more than 5 and from different decks. So at this point of the game I'm still playing with the damn temerians because I haven't been able to build a proper deck.

I stuck with the Temerian set because they seemed to be more plentiful.  I'm done the game, and still don't have complete sets of the other factions.

Best way to build a strong deck is to play against those players who will play for special cards (it's given as a quest), starting with the Baron in Velen and he'll have a list of other players who also will play for special cards.  That's how I got started with finding strong enough cards to compete with the better players.

You don't seem to get that in order to beat the strong players you need a better deck which is the sole purpose of beating them in the first place. There is no upward scale just a bunch of random spikes. The worst part is that this could all has an easy fix, sell basic deck in the game aside from individual cards. You know, like in RL.

That's why you do that quest.  It doesn't put you up against great players to begin with.  It just puts you up a player who, if you beat them, will give you a special card.

Again, I didn't exactly have much difficulty accumulating a strong deck.  Between playing those players outlined in the quest(s) you're given, as well as buying the odd card here and there from shopkeepers/inkeepers, it didn't take that long to build a strong enough set of cards that I could take on the better players.

I honestly don't know what to tell you, though.  I treated gwent as an afterthought until I finished the game, so I didn't exactly go out of my way to search for good cards.  I just built up my set of cards by buying random cards in shops or by beating "low level" gwent players who gave good cards when they lose.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Also, **** whomever came up with the leveling up system. I've seen bad talent trees, I've seen bad games that level you into competence but restricting your abilities to slots that unlock upon reaching a level and then only giving you 9 slots. It's like the guy that designed it just decided to say "**** your choice, you're either a warrior a mage or a mutant", for a game with just one hybrid class it shouldn't really be that restrictive. It was easily fixed in previous games by just modding the amount of talent points but the skill slots really put a damper on that. 

I did largely the same as Mr Anakin with Gwent and i'm sorry to say rarely faced a challenge, especially when using the Nilfgaardian deck, which quickly became my favourite.

However on your second point i'm in total agreement, it's just an arbitrary restriction and really isn't consistent, I mean Geralt's been doing this Witcher thing for a century or so now (though that's argued over) and should know his arse from his elbow to put it crassly.

Edit: Never mind being reset to level one twice over now!

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I did largely the same as Mr Anakin with Gwent and i'm sorry to say rarely faced a challenge, especially when using the Nilfgaardian deck, which quickly became my favourite.

However on your second point i'm in total agreement, it's just an arbitrary restriction and really isn't consistent, I mean Geralt's been doing this Witcher thing for a century or so now (though that's argued over) and should know his arse from his elbow to put it crassly.

Edit: Never mind being reset to level one twice over now!

The thing is that I can't seem to manage to build  good deck, I find Gwent to be the best of the minigames in the series but the lack of cards seems to be keeping off it. I know that I've moved on and now I'm having trouble backtracking to the point where I'm supposedly meant to be at but I'm even having trouble with that one. I've played merchants who don't seem to give any cards and the only ones that do seem to be beyond my current level. I find it frustrating that I get special cards for other decks and my most complete deck languishes from a lack of any special cards. The problem with the amount of base cards remains, it shouldn't be so difficult to build a common deck.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Two of my favorite gwent cards I currently own are the Avallac'h one, which is a spy card that you put on the opposition's side but has a value of zero, so you don't actually add to their strength.  And it gives you the ability to add two more of your own cards to your deck of 10; then there's the Yennefer card, that's got a value of 7, but also allows you to pick up an additional card from your discarded pile and play it instantly.

The opponents with monster decks can be annoying because they have a bunch of cards that double in strength and also allow them to play similar cards instantly.  But the best defense against that is to have those weather effect cards, or the card that scorches the highest rated card on the board.  One time an opponent was playing with the monster deck and had something ridiculous like 80 points due to their melee combat row (they had that horn that doubles the cards' value in a given row), thanks to like 10 cards in that row that were linked in some fashion.  I laid down that weather effect that reduces every card in the row to a value of 1, and saw his total shrink from 80 down to 20 (he still had the horn effect doubling what should have been a bunch of 1s).

Those spy cards really come in handy.  Especially the Avallac'h one (value of zero) and Thaler one (value of 1).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I started Gwent very late in the game. I was in Novigrad when I thought to myself "**** it, let's give it a try". I had not yet gotten a single extra card outside the starter kit. Naturally I got my ass handed to me repeatedly and I thought Gwent was stupid and boring. But then I traveled back to the very first inn I visited in the game. I talked to the innkeeper and they sold 4-5 new cards. I bought those and played the innkeeper. After a few tries I won and he also gave me a special card.

With my new deck I started forming a tactic that suited my playstyle and card collection. I began travelling to all the places with vendors, bought all the cards they have available and played them for their special cards (all Gwent opponents give you new cards when you beat them the first time). After a while I had enough of a deck (and knowledge of the game) to be able to take on bigger fish.

When I got my first few special cards (cards that double their strength when put together, cards that resurrect other cards, cards that give opponents strength but give yourself two new random cards and so on, hero cards that are unaffected by.. well, everything) the game kind of opened up. Now it's fun to play and I can do several different tactics. I can play conservatively and lure out my opponents best cards in the first round, throw that round and overwhelm them i the last two rounds. Or I can flat out crush them with my heroes and special cards. Or I can play tricky and conceal myself under the weather, only to release my power by clearing the clouds in the last round.

Right now I'm finishing up the big players in Novigrad. I've played a few opponents who has cards that I would really like to see in my collection, but when I won, they gave me other cards than the ones I was hoping for. I wonder if there's any way to win their other special cards too (a heroic spy with 0 strength comes to mind)?

Anyhow, I would suggest to not take Gwent seriously and just see it as a distraction when you happen upon another Gwent player. That's what I did and it's been a blast ever since.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Just started this up now that I have a new computer. 

My main negative impressions so far:

1: Argh, Geralt controls terribly

2: Why is it so windy all the time? Nature looks like it's having a seizure. And this is coming from someone who lives by the coast.

Other than that, seems promising!

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

2: Why is it so windy all the time? Nature looks like it's having a seizure. And this is coming from someone who lives by the coast.

Need to show off hair works.

Got a recipe for a lvl 35 sword, feh, will be done the game by then I am feeling.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Rumour is that there's a Gwent dlc on the cards in the near future.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Rumour is that there's a Gwent dlc on the cards in the near future.

Was that intentional? That was intentional.

Btw, patch 1.05 is out, it fixes a ton of issues and introduces filters for alchemy.

Does have 1 new bug though, you can't craft new higher grade mutagens if you have one already in inventory. Need to drop it on the ground before you can craft another one

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 2

The music on Skellige, beautiful.

I stumbled upon a quest involving a Nithling post today, i'm extremely surprised to see this little known artifact of Norse lore used in any way, the developers really seem to be aiming at creating a unique and accurate representation. There were also sturdy Norwegian horses grazing in the fields as well, I wanted to trade in Roach for one of these. It's nice to see such care and detail taken in manufacturing a setting, this really is a labour of love I think, despite all of my complaints.

Tea for the teapot!

Also, speaking of CDProjektRED pulling tricks on people, for a moment they had me fooled, I was convinced Dandelion's personal sidequest was just going to be a list of dumb favors that the eternally carefree Dandelion is never going to repay, but then right at the end my patience got rewarded when a twist opened up one of the most interesting quests that I've done in Novigrad so far.

Wish there was a program to create a save for the first games. 

Err, why? It's redundant. If you pick "Simulate save: Yes" before you start a game without importing, in Vizima you'll be questioned about all the events in Witcher 2 that matter in 3

Edited by Nordicus