The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

I hate level requirements on items.

Fight diagram for cool new sword/item -> lol I need to wait 20 levels to use it.

Great way to kill exploration even more.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1038

Was patched today.

I got stuck on a story mission (finding a certain wife) where it just tells me "review what you know and find her!".

Mildly annoyed at that, also got the issue of playing it and using my gamepad, and the damn thing keeps randomly flipping into detective mode without me hitting squat.

Maybe it was an homage to the World of Warcraft quest? I mean, Mankrik's wife wasn't easy to find ;)

Hah, wandering around Velen ran into a quest for lvl 33. I wonder if I missed a lot in White Orchard - am only 4.5. Rolled back drivers and that seems to have alleviated my crashing issue, so can play a lot longer now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finally getting weapon repair kits, extremely useful in the field, I wonder if one can craft them?

Edit: My complaint about itemisation remains however, in the first game the Witcher's meteorite steel swords were some of the finest weapons in the Northern Kingdoms, a solid step above everything else that was used by the common soldier or Scoiatael. Reforged with the various coloured meteorite fragments and they became even more effective and distinctive. In the last two games however they have become trash to sell at the first opportunity, and thus Witcher's blades are devalued which is working against the narrative.

The same could be said of the Silver Swords, in the first game a rare, masterwork item, with a history relating to Coen and a massive boost in effectiveness. Now just not so much, a rather standard weapon.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why were Witchers wiped out again?

Seems incredibly dumb considering how many packs of nekkers, drowners and worse are right next to villages. And they even respawn!

Being a peasant in Witcher setting is absolutely dreadful.

Then again, even random bandits can parry the sword strikes of a supposed master swordsman like Geralt. If they would roll they'd be able to take out the monsters too.

Edited by HoonDing

Well, peasants are also f**king stupid. Finding a lot of armour repair kits, but not weapon ones. Will be hard finding a repair guy in the wasteland that is Velen, maybe I should go to Novigrad and see what's there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Monsters were dying out apparently, and Witcher's were following as they were no longer needed. There may be another conjunction on the way, the Aen Elle may be letting them into the world, or the populations may have recovered with all of the wars and lack of Witchers to keep their numbers down? What was the quote: Soon wraiths, wyverns and Fleders shall be no more, but sons of female dogs will always be around?

The Dwarf in White Orchard has his forge repaired if you urgently need smithcraft.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I just jumped into a closed off little abandoned fort guarded by a wyvern, over a 10-15 meter drop into shallow water. Thank god Geralt knows how to do a pull-up because he could have been drowner meat!

It was not the intended path in, but the awesome path in. I dropped the drawbridge so I can easily come back later to deal with the wyvern.

Edited by Nordicus

Why were Witchers wiped out again?

Seems incredibly dumb considering how many packs of nekkers, drowners and worse are right next to villages. And they even respawn!

Being a peasant in Witcher setting is absolutely dreadful.

Then again, even random bandits can parry the sword strikes of a supposed master swordsman like Geralt. If they would roll they'd be able to take out the monsters too.

It's a video game bro. They have to offer challenge. Why so few Witchers? Don't know. I haven't read the books. You're a novelty in the world though, Witcher 3 makes that clear. Not always a desirable thing, as I get called freak all the time. What the hell is wrong with these ****? I'm helping them. Killing monsters, letting them resettle outposts. F*ckers. I get no respect.

Edited by licketysplit

God help me but I honestly like the Bloody Baron, he reminds me of poor Henselt, CDPR are really quite gifted at making likeable swine. Brilliant piece of characterisation, head and shoulders above the competition.

Tea for the teapot!

can you parry or counter if you time the block right ?. So far I have only been able to stand and recieve a blow and lose energy and a small ammount of health. Why would I ever use that in combat. I mean I can parry arrows but wouldn't it always be a better option to run for the archer and roll out of the way of a blow rather than just stand there. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

If you hit the block button as the attack happens, you counter. I'm bad at timing it though, I find that if I click it when the enemy nameplate glows, it's too late. And I'm not sure if certain enemies like the griffin are counterable.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It also depends on the attack and weapon carried, two handed weapons and strong leaping attacks cannot be parried or riposted, dodging is far more effective at this point.

This kind of fits with Witcher lore, read the battle with Renfri's boys in the Last Wish and you'll get a feel for the ideal way that Geralt should attack: Circle the prey, strike when they show a weakness, simply do not be there for their attacks and always be on the move. Stalk like a wolf really, as the school hints at.

Edit: Parry and riposte are extremely effective against shieldbearers and such as you state Gorgon.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Tried playing with a gamepad. Griffin slaughtered me over and over for about an hour. I can see how it should be better, but it's taking a good long while to get my head around the mappings, rolling instead of attacking, using a sign instead of blocking, ugh. Now I was underlevelled for the fight, having now learned I should have sidequested first, but a level wouldn't have helped me press the right buttons (or see the griffin's attack frames).

Oh well, try again tomorrow.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't think I've been able to parry even one monster strike. Doesn't work against humans with two-handed weapons either.

I've been able to parry nekkers and wraiths at the very least.

I think in the Witcher 2 blocks by default only reduced damage, but after some upgrades could nullify it. Might be the same here? I haven't really looked at the skill trees.

Oh lawdeh the Witcher 2 blocks and ripostes were so dumb!

Signs, ripostes, blocking, block strength and attack strength were all tied to damn Vigor. Depending on how full your Vigor bar was, Geralt would block 25-50% of damage before armor calculation, 50-100% with a certain ability.

Without that ability, blocking was essentially worthless. Also, ripostes against monsters made you still take damage from their attacks while with humans you interrupted the incoming strike. Dumbdumbdumbdumb dumb.

W3 should've dropped all pretense of being a roll playing game and needed either Revengeance combat system focused on parrying/countering OR AssCreed combat.

Yes, yes, in both games combat was generally a breeze, but that's the point. Geralt is a seasoned monster slayer, outside of boss creatures nothing should pose a challenge.

AssCreed games actually made the protagonist feel powerful, while in W3 common bandits can parry Geralt's sword strokes.

Also, I really wish Geralt could actually climb.

Need tips for that noonwraith. What potion should I kick in and should I care for anything else? Right now I've simply tried specter oil, but my damage output is not really a lot higher. Hitting that thing for like 10hp with each swing, while she deals a huge amount of damage to me.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Doesn't the bestiary entry tell you which sign works best and which potions to use?  I don't have the game but the vids I've seen rely on the bestiary for information on how to beat creatures.