The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Pidesco

Do the world borders eventually disappear? Because I was reading all these reviews and previews saying how this is the biggest open world ever

Edit: nvm I found this on reddit. Apparently the area in bottom right corner is your starting place, and then you get transferred to the big world

lYqlEZi.jpg

Edited by Bokishi
  • Like 1

I've been putting in some time on the PS4 version and have to say it's been a good experience.  Short load times, the game looks great and plays great.  Haven't noticed any framerate issues.  Once in a cutscene, it slowed down, but nothing terrible.  I'm honestly quite surprised by how good it looks on the console.  

Really enjoying the atmosphere and the voice acting.  Always hard with these games as you start off in the this huge open world which pulls you from one question mark to the next, but you honestly want to play through some of the story so you can open your combat and gameplay up a little, for example with the crossbow.  Pretty sure it's not a spoiler as it's been shown in every gameplay video, but the fight with the griffin I felt was a pretty great fight. Really enjoying the combat so far and all it has to over.

I'll completely ignore crossbow and bombs, targeting with keyboard & mouse is horrendous.

Also, do not forget to pick up the bird skull from the opening video in the beginning area.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'll completely ignore crossbow and bombs, targeting with keyboard & mouse is horrendous.

Also, do not forget to pick up the bird skull from the opening video in the beginning area.

Is there a point where you go back to that area?  Or do you just come upon it in your travels?

• Vesemir and the lads are back, huzzah, however no Berengar yet unfortunately.

I'd be both amused and (pleasantly) surprised if Berengar shows up. It does seem rather likely that they just assume he's dead, dead, dead.

Watch_Doges etc.

And now I'm disappointed there isn't a medieval Venetian retrotechno open world game available yet. Make it so, Ubisoft! 

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-pc-60-fps-max-settings-ultra-graphics-gameplay-video/

Nice video on the game running on Ultra graphic settings 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dissonance: Geralt should not be so weak, nor opponents so resistant to his blows. It's mechanics versus narrative again, Geralt should be at his strongest, but is basically reset again, feels very artifical and in need of rebalancing. At the beginning of Assassins one could have stated that Geralt was almost slain in Jacques vision of the coming ice age, and was recovering under Triss' care ever since, giving a little reasoning for his reset which i'm surprised that they didn't leap upon. In this game there is no excuse or even an attempt.

How to realistically model this in gameplay, with rewarding progression but acknowledgement of the protagonists skill and experience, i'm just not sure.

The swords should last longer, be repairable and maintable with whetstones and oils, but I don't really mind the exploration and monster slaying aspect so far. Each venture into the wild feels a little too dangerous however, for a fairly civilised land, but maybe this is intentional. The Hunt rampages, monsters creep out of the dark places, war engulfs the land and nobody is safe.

All these complaints aside i'm still enjoying myself immensely, Gwent is absorbing quite a little time as well.

So far 8 out of 10, a good game with room for improvement, but shackled by some mechanical imperfections and narrative dissonance that i'm not sure can be fixed.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There must be some hidden statistics on Geralt.

In starting area after gaining a level or two I started to oneshot level 5 wolves and generic deserters with Igni and my sword, even though I hadn't activated abilities yet.

Maybe damage done and received scales according to difference in level between Geralt and enemies. D:OS had the same and it was lame.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Well Velen sure has a lot to do, that I am way too low level for at 4.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So I started the game yesterday evening for 5 minutes. The first thing I noticed is that the on screen text is very small on my tv. Is there any chance to increase it? In the options I've put the Hud on large already...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's the most common complaint about the console versions at the moment, and no way of changing it as of yet. Apparently a fairly hefty patch is due next week, which hopefully adds an option to do so.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So I started the game yesterday evening for 5 minutes. The first thing I noticed is that the on screen text is very small on my tv. Is there any chance to increase it? In the options I've put the Hud on large already...

Of course there is a solution Lexx.....don't use a console  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't. :p

I merely use my tv and gamepad for playing the PC version with ultra graphics. :>

Tested mouse and keyboard for a bit and then decided the former works better... Except for the tiny text.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

All important map locations are immediately laid out to you. There's a GTA-style glowing trail.

You can turn them off but why would you?

I enjoy unguided exploration too much so I turned off undiscovered points of interest from the map. It might bite me in the ass for fighting so many enemies but eh

Geralt has a AssCreed/Arkham City like eagle eye/detective mode that turns him into Sherlock Holmes and makes all exploration/investigation a breeze.

I think how close you have to get to make the clues pop up makes it a bit better than Arkham/AC

The swords should last longer, be repairable and maintable with whetstones and oils, but I don't really mind the exploration and monster slaying aspect so far.

Yeah, I didn't mind the inclusion of a durability mechanic in itself, but these weapons break way too quickly and are too expensive to repair. It was actually cheaper for me to craft a new sword rather than repair my old one! Edited by Nordicus

There must be some hidden statistics on Geralt.

In starting area after gaining a level or two I started to oneshot level 5 wolves and generic deserters with Igni and my sword, even though I hadn't activated abilities yet.

Maybe damage done and received scales according to difference in level between Geralt and enemies. D:OS had the same and it was lame.

i didnt like that on DOS either. im level 10 he is 11... how much stronger can he possibly be with a single level, that i miss all my attacks and those that hit do almost no damage? and it gets more annoying when i get to level 11, same weapon, same stats, same skills and now i can kill him easily

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Patch in the next week or so - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Also having my Nvidia driver crash while playing, very annoying.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1038

Was patched today.

I got stuck on a story mission (finding a certain wife) where it just tells me "review what you know and find her!".

Mildly annoyed at that, also got the issue of playing it and using my gamepad, and the damn thing keeps randomly flipping into detective mode without me hitting squat.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Turned off all markers, makes for a much better game.

Turned off hair effects after a brief dally playing with them in which it was crashing every half an hour, without the hair effects it runs as steady as a rock again.

Still don't like the massive inventory compared to the first games realistic limits, i've gotten no backpack or anything else and yet am carrying half a dozen swords and a couple of suits of armour as well as fifty pounds of various tat. One day a game is going to break free of the tyranny of loot and i'm going to die of shock.

My horse wouldn't cross a bridge for some reason.

Roche's saddlebags should in my opinion serve as storage, a game focused so much on loot and with so much lying around to collect needs storage as a priority. I know one can buy saddlebags to boost inventory, but that just boosts Geralts, which doesn't make sense at all.

This is a very good game however, the gameworld is beautiful, brutal and i'm finding myself lost in just exploring and such.

I'd rather play as Vesemir than Geralt though, sadly enough. I wonder if there might be dlc or expansions published covering the other Witchers of the Kaer Morhen Wolf school.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I feel like they handwave a bit and say that every time you collect loot, what you're doing is grabbing all the random crap, and stuffing it into saddlebags on your horse, rather than just down your breastplate.

Figured out my quest... And finished the first major quest of Valen. If Anything I expect that Ciri would be the playable character over Vesemir given she's been given different powers etc.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.