RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

We were a promised a DOOM 4 beta. Any day now, I would think.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

E3 Bethesda 2015

We, here at Bethesda, are proud to announce the first ever expansion for Elder Scrolls Online. Elder Scrolls Online: The Quest for more Money -- Never before has any MMO utilized so many inovative ways for implementing micro-payments like this one. Beta release this fall.

But don't lose heart, because we've also lined up the sequel you've all been waiting for...

The next installment in Evil Within of course. If you thought the first one wasn't quite retro-campy or trial&error enough then you've seen nothing yet, skipper. Evil Within 2 will release in the Spring of 2016

So I guess this open letter was posted to the League of Legends forum, and it is the most hilarious thing I have ever read:

This is an online game. In most cases, your child is playing with real people. Please take a moment to understand how this game's person-to-person interaction functions. In the past, I have seen numerous stories of children who routinely disconnect mid-game because it's bedtime, or their parents decide that they've played enough for the day. Some of these stories have come from parents themselves, proudly stating that they are firm about making their children stop playing at a specific time.

While it is admirable that you are teaching children some responsibility to schedules,please stop neglecting to teach them responsibility to other people. Unless your child is playing a Custom Game, his actions will permanently affect the statistics of up to 9 other people. Don't enforce behavior that involves disregarding other people. Do you want your child being callous to people in face-to-face situations too?

The average game of League of Legends lasts over 30 minutes. Many last close to an hour.When a game has begun, players have implicitly committed their time to each other until the game ends.

If you have given your child a strict cutoff time for play, do not allow him to begin a game if he has less than an hour left.

• Bedtime in 30 minutes? Don't allow him to start a new game.
  • Dinner in 45 minutes? Don't allow him to start a new game.

If a game is in progress, do not interrupt it unless it is an emergency. You are affecting up to 10 people, not just your child.

• Feel like checking your e-mail on the same computer? Please wait until the game is over so you don't completely ruin things for the real people on your child's team.
  • Is a game that started 90 minutes before bedtime somehow still in progress at 87 minutes? Please allow him to finish the match so you don't completely ruin things for the real people on your child's team. Games almost never last that long, and if people lose due to a teammate quitting after spending that much time on a match, they are likely to be more upset than usual.

Now you're probably thinking, "But what if my child takes advantage of me and starts a game 5 minutes before bedtime because now I'll feel guilty about making him quit a game in progress?" I have an answer for that. Are you ready for it? It's a two parter.

1. Let him finish the game. This sounds like you're letting your child walk all over you, but please just let the game finish normally and follow through with step 2.
  2. Ground him. You're the parent. Don't let him play League for a while. If your kid tries to exploit you, you don't have to stand for it. Step 1 is just about showing courtesy to other people and being responsible to the team. However, your child should definitely learn that there are consequences for all actions.

If you are a parent and can't figure out why this is a problem, take some time to read how people react to children prematurely abandoning games.

If you know any parents who make their kids leave mid-game on a whim, please direct them to this thread.

Penny Arcade already did a comic that summed up my reaction to it.  Oh boy.   :w00t:   The comments are just as rich.   :dancing:  

Edit:  Make sure you read some of the comments that are hidden because they have been downvoted.  They are the sane people.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/bEhf1EPt-open-letter-to-parents-of-league-of-legends-players

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 6

Wait, so is Bethesda now a bad guy?  I didn't realize they are on the EA/Bioware/Ubisoft list, I'll have to pencil them in.  It's tough keeping track of this hipster hate stuff.

Actually, I considered my post to be more of a jovial tongue-in-cheek jab if nothing else. I also like to joke about Atlus tendency to refuse talking about their big games until at the last minute, or Square's habit of releasing their old titles completely unchanged on new platforms with DRM attached, Valve refusing to develop any more games, or Hideo Kojima trying to make Hollywood-senpai notice him. I have franchises I love, certain games I love, but I don't have an overtly admiration or loyalty towards the developers, like some people do, since I don't see much point in that. In regards to Bethesda, I don't overtly care about them as a whole either. Edited by TheChris92

Wait, so is Bethesda now a bad guy?  I didn't realize they are on the EA/Bioware/Ubisoft list, I'll have to pencil them in.  It's tough keeping track of this hipster hate stuff.

In this case, I think you're being the 'hipster' when it comes to hating on Bethesda for being a AAA garbage peddler or whatever. Isn't all that uncommon or against the grain.

Also, what's hilarious about that LoL post ? Mildly amusing, half expected it to wander off into deep Troll territory though. The PA comic is about as dull as I've come to expect from them though (oh look Tycho's using a thesaurus!!)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In this case, I think you're being the 'hipster' when it comes to hating on Bethesda for being a AAA garbage peddler or whatever. Isn't all that uncommon or against the grain.

Also, what's hilarious about that LoL post ? Mildly amusing, half expected it to wander off into deep Troll territory though. The PA comic is about as dull as I've come to expect from them though (oh look Tycho's using a thesaurus!!)

Ok Mr. Apathy, I guess I'm the hipster.   :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you couldn't find any humor in the LoL parenting advice letter.  That's actually tragic.  Get better soon.

Mr Apathy? What crap are you on about?

Bashing Bethesda is not all that uncommon, hardly a hipster thing to do. Haven't really been a big player of their games but I doubt they get flak for absolutely nothing. Sticking up for a large AAA developer is arguably the more hipster thing to do.

Typing on a touch screen sure is irritating. Sheesh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Edit:  Make sure you read some of the comments that are hidden because they have been downvoted.  They are the sane people.

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/bEhf1EPt-open-letter-to-parents-of-league-of-legends-players

this one:

wait his mom started playing for him and was actually okay? that's hilarious

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Well last good game from Bethesda was Morrowind (at least for me) so kind of yeah, same level as EA/Bio/Ubisoft (dont know why Bio and EA are separated, Bio was ok before it was taken by EA) and I will never forget them what they have done to Fallout universe

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I will never forget them what they have done to Fallout universe

Successfully resurrected it and then gave Obsidian a chance to improve it...Bastards!  :getlost:

To each his own I suppose, I would rather say succcessfully hyped and milked it

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Successfully resurrected it and then gave Obsidian a chance to improve it...Bastards!  getlost.gif

Well, I guess a corpse brought back is successful in any state. Giving Obsidian scraps as well is also a plus.

I like the idea of a RTS focused on something other than simply killing your opponents.  It's not for me, since I'm terrible at RTSs, I just don't have the focus or the will to do all that micromanaging in real time.  Were this turn-based, I'd be salivating at getting my hands on it, as I like strategy games so long as I can play them at my own pace (read: slow as ****), and I'm all about trading in games that offer it.  Looks and sounds cool, though.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Successfully resurrected it and then gave Obsidian a chance to improve it...Bastards!  getlost.gif

From their perspective maybe, for fans of Fallout it was a complete failure. They didn't even try, but then they obviously don't have the talent to create a Fallout game.

• Like 1

Successfully resurrected it and then gave Obsidian a chance to improve it...Bastards!  :getlost:

Just that Fallout wasn't dead at this time, even though many people try to claim it was. We had such discussions already before Bethesda had their Fo3 released.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just that Fallout wasn't dead at this time, even though many people try to claim it was. We had such discussions already before Bethesda had their Fo3 released.

Mister Lexx is quite capacity for me in terms of Fallout so I am taking your world as granted :)

Yes, Fallout was alive and well in the capable hands of Interplay before Bethesda forced them to give it up.  Fallout Online was clearly going to be a smash hit.   :blink:

We do not get a New Vegas without Bethesda.  So which would you rather have, Interplay's Fallout Online or Obsidian's New Vegas?

Well, you could still play FO, FO2, FO:T. Not like a game series being 'dead' is a bad thing - if we had no Fallout 3 or New Vegas, that would also be fine.