What you did today

LadyCrimson

Not auto-shop, but I taught myself how to rebuild the motorcycle I love more than any human. Hung chains from the garage rafters, suspended the frame, removed the bent forks and triple clamp for new ones, replaced the rear sub-frame, swapped out the swing-arm for a newer, cooler version, cut and installed a new drive chain, new alternator/alternator cover, replaced left-side handlebar, removed and replaced bent front wheel, installed new steel-braided brake lines, flushed and filled, replaced rubber fuel lines from gas tank to carbs, cleaned carbs, replaced spark plugs, air filter, sourced new/used plastic fairings, as well as factory paint colors incredibly available in spray cans, sanded, painted, and clearcoated bodywork to match. Also cleaned and/or waxed every interior and exterior surface of my baby. Put some new Pirelli shoes on her and went for a ride ... somehow came back in one piece. Nothing fell off or came loose or anything. 

Anyway, where was I going with this ... it really helped to maintain an organized, clean workspace, but I didn't lose sleep over it if a bunch of toothbrush cleaners were facing the wrong way. Fastidious, but not obsessive. I'm sure Wold is vigilant in his own way in his own space.  

All Stop. On Screen.

@Gromnir - but I like hyperbole! It's so much fun! :lol: .... I get enough logic/rationality from my spouse. Someone's gotta be the silly one, sometimes. :biggrin::cat::dancing:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I returned to work today after a 3 week break. I had already started going through emails so I had a good idea of what this week was going to hold

There has been a major issue at one of my customers around Firewall rules and getting this application I support to work so I was expecting to have a torrid day..but everything was working when I did my testing....what a great first day back  :dancing:  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Red label Vitamin D whole milk is best milk. I like a little half-and-half in cereal sometimes, always in coffee. Large curd cottage cheese is creamy goodness, too. String cheese is like candy around here. Maybe I have a problem. 

Either 3% or the natural non homogenized milk if I get it from the stores, sometimes I get myself some milk directly from a farmer I know nearby. Now that's the good stuff!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

There's so much epeen-waving around here this thread should be parental advisory.

Meanwhile, watched sin city: a dame to kill for. In the non-news department, eva green is still ludicrously hot.

• Like 5

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Neighbor in back building a partial 2nd story addition in an area with almost no 2-stories. At least there's big trees between us and them.

Woke up gasping with the bedroom smelling like tomcat pee. Not just a little, but skunk-strength levels. No, not my cat, he doesn't have the gear for it. ;) Hosed off the whole area outside, opened windows, burned candles ... still stinks, but not so bad. Hopefully it won't happen again (near bedroom at least) until next year. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Riding transit it is funny how people disrespect their ears. Can clearly hear Leper Messiah through one's earbuds, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm thinking about starting a blog for game reviews with a gimmick. A simple one like only focusing on story elements and revisiting knee-jerk excited reviews with calmer digested reviews. So I've been looking around at blogging setups trying to find out if I want to buy a domain.

I had a lot of fun with my blog back in college, where I reviewed movies with the gimmick of comparing them to my own life. Saving Private Ryan got 5 stars because at least I'm not in World War 2. A Beautiful Mind only got 1 star because despite his terrible pickup lines, he manages to snag Jennifer Connelly. The jerk.

This is probably a terrible idea I'll abandon before I get a name figured out.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm thinking about starting a blog for game reviews with a gimmick

well, how 'bout, "would Jesus play it?"  could review games and address game issues, but then do irreverent takes. sure, you would needs play it straight +90% o' the time, but you could add in some fun Jesus flavor. maybe you think Jesus likes games that rely 'pon deus ex machina. highlight games that make excessive use o' deus ex but act as if such stuff is a good thing... sardonic spin.  perhaps Jesus would enjoy the resident evil games with its kinda super-powered messiah protagonist who could metaphorically cast out demons, but maybe the reliance on amnesia were a bit too cliché for the son of God to fully embrace the character. best rating for a game would be three cross nails and a thorny crown. etc.

too much?  

sure, such a blog would offend some folks, but south park does far worse. could be fun and we don't doubt some folks would overreact to your blasphemy, which would help get you some initial exposure. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd read it.

But I've been up for 24 hours because I'm skipping sleep to fix my sleep schedule and I've written a 50 page document about getting over my depression for my therapist while watching Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Taken and Scott Pilgrim vs The World and my eyeballs hurt despite the fact that I'm still not tired (I didn't even have any ****ing coffee) and I'm very seriously considering using this service http://www.99dollarorchestra.com/#intro so I don't know if I'm the best judge right now.

I am surfing the net via laptop while "exercising" my knees via pedaling on my pedal thingie while also watching a film called The 100 Foot Journey while thinking about a possible fortress design for the 7DtD game.

Nope, I don't have attention span issues. Not at all. Why do you ask?

Good thing nobody can see my workplace. My Windows Desktop is a mess :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I still find it rather awesome how the forum can be almost "empty", so to speak, and then 15 minutes after a PoE update post, the active user and online list grows and grows and grows. :)

Whoever salted the sidewalk a few blocks from my office this morning (we had a little light snow) used that super-duper salt that is effective not only at preventing freezing, but also at preventing evaporation.  And they probably used too much of it.  Result being that the paving stones were occasionally slick with slimy salt solution.  And that, as I exited the burrito joint with my lunch, my torso took a left while my feet decided that right would be more fun.  I landed hard on my left elbow.  Probably isn't more than a bruise (and maybe a sore shoulder joint for a while), but my slacks are now covered with crusted salt. 

The burrito, thankfully, was unharmed. 

• Like 2

Luckily no one does that here, so is just the nice base layer of ice to march on sometimes. Is pretty manageable once you just keep your eyes on the feet, some people still haven't caught on to that. Today was a fun day, urgent issue raise by a client whose report was jumbled and then they go silent as we try to find the root cause.

We help those who help themselves. Well, we would, if I had my way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The burrito, thankfully, was unharmed.

Save the food....always first priority. But glad your elbow/rest of self is ok, as well. ;)

...speaking of food, that's about what I'm going to be "doing today," next.

Core day, a couple of 200kg lifts, followed by 100kg front-squats and now weighted crunches. I'd rather go for a reeeeally long cycling stint though, but its impossible due to the icy roads.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Work and now playing video games. X-COM: UFO Defense. I also watched an episode of Tyrant. Don't really want to walk outside as the chances of falling by taking one wrong step will end in pain. There's ice all over the roads. It's going to get worse tomorrow and we have gotten another warning of an incoming storm. So tomorrow, I will do the same things I did today. For some excitement, I might change the order in which I do things.

I also took three days off in February because I'm going to Liverpool.

I got my new laptop, it's shiny!  Haven't tried any games on it yet.

I also ran 3 miles on my lunch break, to make Woldan jealous, it was 70 degrees out.   :p

That's warm for you celsius folks.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

I got my new laptop, it's shiny!  Haven't tried any games on it yet.

I also ran 3 miles on my lunch break, to make Woldan jealous, it was 70 degrees out.   tongue.png

That's warm for you celsius folks.

Get a desktop, you filthy casual. What specs ?

Whoever salted the sidewalk a few blocks from my office this morning (we had a little light snow) used that super-duper salt that is effective not only at preventing freezing, but also at preventing evaporation.  

one o' the advantages o' living in the valley here in nor cal is not having to deal with salted roads and sidewalks. we don't mind snow or ice near as much as we dislike salt.  a couple years ago, we broke down to peer pressure and purchased a bmw suv. previous to that, our primary driving vehicle (we do own a second car that we only drive 'bout once or twice a month) were a 1988 ford ranger.  we had that truck for almost 25 years, and it ran as well, if not better, in 2012 as the day we bought it. 

is no way we coulda' maintained our truck for a quarter century with midwest or east coast road salting.  for all the good salt does to cars, we might as well have be driving over ridley scott aliens.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)