Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

It's not all that clever or complicated (or original w/time travel) and instead it's mostly an exercise in obfuscation. It's not a film tactic I'm generally fond of, if used in excess.

This doesn't make it a bad movie nor do I blame the film for taking that direction. They were trying something different. But the film itself isn't very entertaining as a film, imo, outside of the "wtf" and PoV discussions it may inspire afterwards as to "what really happened" and "what it means." eg, it's a mind**** movie. If you think it's brilliant in this regard, you're going to like it. If you don't, it's just meh.

Btw, I'm not claiming I understood everything 1st-view. I am not so smart, especially since I don't always understand the jargon such fiction is based on. My husband understood (he's my personal-explainer during some movies) and he spent a lot of the movie frowning. He tends to react to too much tech-jargon similar to the way I react to something like the bio-science explanations in ST:TNG episode "Genesis." Sometimes you should let the fiction aspect just be fiction and stop trying to make it sound like real/proven science. :lol:

Yeah I pretty much liked the film because it was an epic mind****.

On another note decided to watch Ghost in the Shell again and found out that they did a 2.0. Holy mother of god is it bad, I have no idea why they decided to add that orange filter over the whole movie.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Watched The Quiet Ones on Netflix today.

Very competently put together horror film. Reasonably original premise, watered down too far to cater to a popular audience.

What saves it is the acting, and some superb timing. A solid 4/5 if you like a simple horror tale.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

22 Jump Street - I was laughing so hard I could hardly breathe. They somehow went above the hilarious original.

It was so bad it got funny.

Huh?

Actually I do wonder if these movies would really have the same impact with people who didn't grow up watching the TV show.  The best bits are the lampooning of the classic stuff from the show.

makes sense that I didn't like it that much, then

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Transformers: Age of Extinction

The Bayformer movies are best looked at in a vacuum. They are pretty damned entertaining as long as you don't look at them as Transformers films. So on that merit it was quite an entertaining film, though the human built transformers transforming through a cloud of cubes was terrible.

Bonus points for Frank Welker voicing Galvatron.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Inherent Vice

It was really weird, but I enjoyed it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I remember being surprised that I liked the first film as much as I did. Not that it was awesome, but it was sorta cute in places and a bit less of that certain humor style I dislike than I thought it have. I never really watched the show (maybe saw a few episodes), but I remember when it was a thing ... all the ads, all the Depp swooning. :lol:

But the first one was enough. Not interested in a 2nd movie.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I remember being surprised that I liked the first film as much as I did. Not that it was awesome, but it was sorta cute in places and a bit less of that certain humor style I dislike than I thought it have. I never really watched the show (maybe saw a few episodes), but I remember when it was a thing ... all the ads, all the Depp swooning. :lol:

But the first one was enough. Not interested in a 2nd movie.

But this one brings back Richard Grieco!

Richard-Grieco-21-Jump-Street.jpg

Ah...the memories of the "DEPP!!!! GREICO!!!!" ads for 21 Jump Street on Fox. Heady days, for sure.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I rewatched "This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated," a 2006 doc. about the movie rating process/people who do it. I find what's presented in the doc. itself rather disheartening. Not surprising, mind, but certainly disheartening. Not about whether there should or should not be ratings or inconsistency of ratings ...  it's their secrecy and such that bothers me. I don't think that should be allowed. Why be so secret vs. transparent? Just makes one think they have something to hide.

Ah...the memories of the "DEPP!!!! GREICO!!!!" ads for 21 Jump Street on Fox. Heady days, for sure.

:lol:

I had actually forgotten about Greico.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I rewatched "This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated," a 2006 doc. about the movie rating process/people who do it. I find what's presented in the doc. itself rather disheartening. Not surprising, mind, but certainly disheartening. Not about whether there should or should not be ratings or inconsistency of ratings ...  it's their secrecy and such that bothers me. I don't think that should be allowed. Why be so secret vs. transparent? Just makes one think they have something to hide.

The MPAA is kind of a dirty organization.

That said, it's a private organization. One can't force transparency on a private organization.

The MPAA is kind of a dirty organization.

That said, it's a private organization. One can't force transparency on a private organization.

True enough. I just find it distressing when it's such a powerful one with seeming political ties that is supposedly serving the interests of the "common people."

I'm not super impressed, but then I'm not really a good judge of such things anymore. Does it look good to you? And is that beefy Iron Man looking thing supposed to Iron Man, or just an evil imitator?

Looks good to me, I think they're trying to make this the Empire Strikes Back of the franchise. The first trailer focused more on the villain, this one more on character drama. I think if they release another trailer, it'll focus more on action. The first trailer was better than this one, though.

Beefy Iron Man is Iron Man in Hulkbuster armor, which is the Avengers contingency plan for if Hulk gets out of control. Looks like it's not as effective as they were hoping. :p Since Hulk's eyes are so red, I'm guessing Scarlet Witch may have set him off or may even be controlling him.

• Like 1

Ah, Hulkbuster armor. The more sunken-in head/helmet is a good idea, then. Harder to punch in/down/off what's already tucked away. Hehe, that's amusing. Not that I don't get why they'd want a contingency plan. :lol: I am looking forward to seeing what they do in the sequel...just haven't been impressed with many trailers lately.

Dylan Dog - Dead of Night

Brandon Routh from a few years ago playing a fading private investigator pulled back into the New Orleans supernatural world. It can't quite seem to decide if its a comedy, or a horror or some weird blend of investigative action-mystery, but it has a certain enjoyable campy edge to the proceedings. With the typical assortment of vampires, werewolves, and assorted zombie types lurking around the French Quarter...

See? That's just what this case needed. A seven-foot tall, flesh-eating zombie. Which begs the question, are there any actual people left in New Orleans?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Hundred Foot Journey was a nice little movie. Predictable, lacking depth/Hollywood-ized are valid criticisms (I think Spielberg/Oprah were producers?) but I didn't care...just a small and pleasant enough feel-good film.

Started to watch The Equalizer, because Denzel is always the Denzeliest, but ran out of energy before I got too far in. Maybe tomorrow.