Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

More I read into that GG phenomene the more it looks to me like a mirror to society. Some people (and I am really happy that we still exists) are just fed up by all rules and rights every minority, interest group or even goverment (doesnt matter how right or reasonable is) force upton common people while those can only suffer and keep heads down. It is showing why internet needs to be anarchic place as its only free space which left. Its like everyone having party while freedom is leying on bed in next room dozed on sedatives

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Did Gamergate celebrate in a ritual dance, flinging bro-fists all around and drank to Ms. Day's tears?

Wtf no.

.....I celebrated in a ritual dance to that terriawful article Gawker posted where they called their readers and sponsors idiots and fascists.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Are you seriously suggesting that the mainstream media is lazy or even skewed in some way?

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I had to laugh at the part where she says she'd cross the street to avoid a "gamer".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Newest from twitterverse

Felicia Day's blog post where she writes down her thoughts about GamerGate and how it has effected her. 

http://thisfeliciaday.tumblr.com/post/100700417809/the-only-thing-i-have-to-say-about-gamer-gate

EDIT:

Article where journalist tries to find out what is the thing that gamergate movement wants. Writer seems to be bit frustrated about end results.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/10/gamergate-should-stop-lying-to-itself.html?n_play=5447d040e4b00a112b2a20ae

Those are some interesting articles which show that some journalists simply don't understand the problem. There's a very interesting response from one of the posters in the article you last linked, David Ward.

"These articles were proof that games media was hostile to those that consumed games media, not because we are the stereotype but BECAUSE we had thought a natural progression had already occurred where the stereotype was disproved, but our media hadn’t gotten the memo.

To think we’re simply mad because we heard “Gamers are Dead” hur dur derp, anger, is condescending – we understand they’re not trying to “take away our games.” We’re hurt because we’re alienated, we’ve had stereotypes thrust on us since the 80s, and it hasn’t stopped since but we’d hoped that our media (our advocates) were the last people to perpetuate those stereotypes."

I'm not a GamerGate supporter (I guess I'll have to say this a thousand times) but I still feel insulted when I hear the press' stereotypical definition of "Gamer". But, oh no, sorry guys we don't mean you, when we say gamer we only mean the sort of virgin, neckbeard, obese, cisgendered, white, male, crybaby that we immediately think of when we say gamer, and you're not like that right?

Yeah, that's not at all insulting.

Edit: The Felicia Day article, well, I can certainly understand how she would feel that way considering that there are people out there that do have these very negative views on anything female and that the press puts all its focus on them. It's a shame because it honestly isn't a reason to avoid people who look like gamers to her (can you really tell? Is there a secret handshake I missed?). And that's the thing really, because all the focus goes out to the toxic GamerGaters suddenly all gamers seem to be suspect.

That is an interesting post, but, as you note, there's still a step between where you are and where core GG'er supporters are.  And (not to presume too much about your motivations) I think that step is largely political-- it's all this rage at "SJWs."  As such I don't think that NYMag article is missing the point by much. 

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

An interesting, different take on GamerGate:

http://kazerad.tumblr.com/post/100701290523/gamergate-alternate-theory

That was actually fairly insightful. I do think a large portion of ganergate supporters want to see personal responsibility for actions rather than shifting the burden onto the group as a whole. I would personally file that line of thinking under ethics myself, but I can see the writer's point and have to wonder if we should be having conversations about accountability seperate from conversations of ethics.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

An interesting, different take on GamerGate:

http://kazerad.tumblr.com/post/100701290523/gamergate-alternate-theory

I'm going to pull a Bruce here because this article deserves some signal boosting. It's a fantastic article as all of Kazerad's articles have been. It very clearly demonstrates some of the points I've been trying to make but failed to do so in a coherent manner about why it's ridiculous to smear people as groups over the actions of some of its members and why signal boosting the wrong people is to make their signal stronger. It shows perfectly that the desired outcome here should not be to "win" but to make things better by working together and acknowledging each other. All this alienation and polarisation is helping no one.

• Like 2

I am back with latest thing about gamergate in my small twitterverse :)

Article summary article about gamergate that uses sarcasm to convey it message. It is written to look like forced support piece for GamerGate, to give it message more strength. Its tone seems to be neutral in first glance, but really it is very anti-gamergate 

http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=twitter

Felicia Day's blog post where she writes down her thoughts about GamerGate and how it has effected her. 

http://thisfeliciaday.tumblr.com/post/100700417809/the-only-thing-i-have-to-say-about-gamer-gate

I feel sorry for her having that kind of anxiety. It is still an incredibly irrational fear.

Fear is an irrational thing, still feelings should not be a validation of a personal argument. One can appeal to sentiment but to use sentiment as a cause is just an excuse, the right thing should be done irregardless of emotion. Also; is not like she is a hard person to find, I mean thanks to 4chan I've literally know her address for years ever since they uncovered that she was with that septuagenarian producer.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I am back with latest thing about gamergate in my small twitterverse :)

Article summary article about gamergate that uses sarcasm to convey it message. It is written to look like forced support piece for GamerGate, to give it message more strength. Its tone seems to be neutral in first glance, but really it is very anti-gamergate 

http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=twitter

Yes, I read this and honestly I'm inclined to take them up on their offer.

Is Felicia Day the young lady who voiced Veronica in New Vegas? If so i'd not cross the street to avoid her, i'd emigrate and renounce my citizenship, and upon the advent of viable super solar travel move to the nearest habitable Earth alternative.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Is Felicia Day the young lady who voiced Veronica in New Vegas? If so i'd not cross the street to avoid her, i'd emigrate and renounce my citizenship, and upon the advent of viable super solar travel move to the nearest habitable Earth alternative.

She's voiced several characters in various games, and yes, Veronica was one of them.  She's supposedly a "nerd culture queen", or so I've been told.  I never cared much either way, I don't particularly like her or dislike her, and this changes nothing as far as that goes.  It's too bad she's fearful, I'm not looking for anyone to live in fear, even people I openly dislike, much less people I don't dislike.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I had heard the address was found via a Google search, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

She's voiced several characters in various games, and yes, Veronica was one of them.  She's supposedly a "nerd culture queen", or so I've been told.  I never cared much either way, I don't particularly like her or dislike her, and this changes nothing as far as that goes.  It's too bad she's fearful, I'm not looking for anyone to live in fear, even people I openly dislike, much less people I don't dislike.

I don't care how or where she's living, just so long as there's an ocean or two between me and her.

Wonder if one can train to be an astronaut when of advancing years, are NASA planning on sending anybody to Mars soon? Are there still research stations in Antarctica?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, as Orogun pointed out her personal information has been out there for quite a while. Doesn't excuse anything, though.

Hm, I suppose doxxing is just spreading publicly available information, so perhaps the same.

Am I the only one who starts laughing at how she worded her tweet?

Something about it sounds hilarious.

EDIT: The tone. It reminds me of this video at the very start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704XtQ8vhWk

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

This whole Felicia Day thing smells a bit fishy, a little too convenient.  That's probably my conspiracy theory brain connecting imaginary points together, though, so grain of salt, and all that.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This whole Felicia Day thing smells a bit fishy, a little too convenient.  That's probably my conspiracy theory brain connecting imaginary points together, though, so grain of salt, and all that.

Doxxing Day harms GamerGate. That could be the motive. I think that's bit too simple to be conspiracy.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Actually if it is the "doxxing" that I witnessed, then it was an idiot who decided to prove that the information was publicly available and posted it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Actually if it is the "doxxing" that I witnessed, then it was an idiot who decided to prove that the information was publicly available and posted it.

Whoever decided to do that is a douche.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.