Drama and games journalism, soggy leg joint edition

Tale

And the other two, how are they doing?

So you admit Gamasutra's views have gone down?

No I need to go through the links myself before I comment. But its quite possible, it doesn't mean the website is now going to close down which seems to be an objective of some people from  GG?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No I need to go through the links myself before I comment. But its quite possible, it doesn't mean the website is now going to close down which seems to be an objective of some people from  GG?

Never said the website is closing down. And was it an objective of GG? Can you provide links? I thought one of the objectives was to bring honesty and integrity to gaming media sites. Something you don't seem to agree with. The difference between the two of us is I'm all for honesty and integrity. Try and debate against that all you like but you will lose.

The "equalism" stuff makes me laugh.  I mean, that schtick was old when Bill O'Reilly started doing it 2 decades ago-- pointing out its ridiculousness ("A problem clearly doesn't exist if it's not a problem for people who look like me!") is a large part of what made Colbert a household name. 

Can I be for "honesty and integrity" and also honestly admit that most mainstream vidyagames are pretty disappointingly sexist? 

The "equalism" stuff makes me laugh. I mean, that schtick was old when Bill O'Reilly started doing it 2 decades ago-- pointing out its ridiculousness ("A problem clearly doesn't exist if it's not a problem for people who look like me!") is a large part of what made Colbert a household name.

Can I be for "honesty and integrity" and also honestly admit that most mainstream vidyagames are pretty disappointingly sexist?

Sure. I would even agree with you on that, and blame it largely on Publishers being lazy.

What ideas do you have for changing the situation?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think it's undeniable that some games are unintentionally sexist, men are summarily used as fodder, their lives thrown away by the handful, with no consequence, they are frequently villified, slaughtered and portrayed as existing without any positive virtues. There is a very genuine case to be made to halt the massive inequality in games, but I for one don't really mind being villified or slaughtered by the bushel as games are not reality and i'm not so insecure as to be offended by this.

For instance the worst villain of the second Witcher game is Bernard Loredo, without a doubt he is walking filth, and one of the nastiest examples of humanity i've ever seen portrayed in games. Still I like the character, he's well made, clever and believable. I certainly don't think this is an attack against me, or that the developers hate me, hate themselves or any other white man. I'm not so concieted.

Edit: Clarification.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, policing games media has never been especially high on my to-do list.  So I don't feel obligated to differ from my current approach to deciding what games I might or might not want to play: avoiding as much of the pre-release hype cycle as I can, taking mainstream games reviews with a pretty huge grain of salt, and relying mostly on recommendations from folks who I've figured out have similar tastes in games. 

(And, as far as the sexism goes, well, the worst offenders aren't really in genres I typically play much of.  I'll speak up when I encounter it and it bugs me, and it affects the likelihood that I'll play future titles from whoever made it.)

For instance the worst villain of the second Witcher game is Bernard Loredo, without a doubt he is walking filth, and one of the nastiest examples of humanity i've ever seen portrayed in games. Still I like the character, he's well made, clever and believable. I certainly don't think this is an attack against me, or that the developers hate me, hate themselves or any other white man. I'm not so concieted.

I don't think you understand what sexism is. 

Sexism is, for example, the fact every female humanoid in the first Witcher game who the developers bothered to give a name was either (1) somebody the player-surrogate could have sex with, (2) represented by the "hunchbacked old crone" character model, or (3) the madam of a brothel. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Never said the website is closing down. And was it an objective of GG? Can you provide links? I thought one of the objectives was to bring honesty and integrity to gaming media sites. Something you don't seem to agree with. The difference between the two of us is I'm all for honesty and integrity. Try and debate against that all you like but you will lose.

I have no problem " losing " Hiro. You just haven't convinced me I need to admit I lost. Also I'm not sure why  we have to have  a winner or loser, lets try to agree on a common way forward to ensure that GG can make the relevant changes that you feel need to be made in the gaming industry

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have no problem " losing " Hiro. You just haven't convinced me I need to admit I lost. Also I'm not sure why  we have to have  a winner or loser, lets try to agree on a common way forward to ensure that GG can make the relevant changes that you feel need to be made in the gaming industry

I'm not here to convince you. That's for you to do yourself. I do find it funny that you're against GG's goals of having honesty and integrity within organisations like the gaming media. I never knew you were against such worthy goals like honesty and integrity.

I don't think you understand what sexism is. 

Sexism is, for example, the fact every female humanoid in the first Witcher game who the developers bothered to give a name was either (1) somebody the player-surrogate could have sex with, (2) represented by the "hunchbacked old crone" character model, or (3) the madam of a brothel. 

There were many women around in the gameworld, going about their business, utterly unconcerned by Geralt or his affairs who would hardly talk with him. I wouldn't call that particularly sexist. Geralts life being saved by a woman repeatedly, his role as her tool in the battle she wages against Salamandra, his manipulation by her and his fragmentary rememberance of Yennefer. Triss was a far more effective character than Geralt, not to mention young Adda, whom was orchestrating a coup d'etat in a sexist medieval world.

I mean it's not like the game had us slaughtering masses of women again and again, like most games do with men, thoughtlessly having us slaughter thousands in graphic detail. As gaming has done since its inception. Still I wouldn't play at being a professional victim based on this, the developers aren't intentionally demeaning men or being sexist, they're just making good, fun games.

Edit: Oh sorry sexism is prejudice, stereotyping or discrimination, such as evidenced against men since the dawn of gaming.

2nd Edit: In point of fact I think one could argue both in the games and the books that though set in a sexist medieval world, the strong, independent, motivated and clever women of the Witchers world clearly demonstrate how ridiculous that sexism is. Characters such as Triss, Yennnefer, Philippa Eilhart and others serve as a subtle play against the mores of the world. Obviously this is not the clumsy, blatant preaching and moralising that many people prefer, but as a nuanced jab at the worlds status quo I find it quite nice and rather effective.

After all Ciri is far more important to multiple worlds than Geralt.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!