Drama in the indy gaming biz ?

NWN_babaYaga

I'll just say that I think it fundamentally dishonest to make a living being a feminist. Making money off your beliefs. I mean that's what politicians do. 

What if a feminist wrote a book about the trials and  tribulations they have been through as a women in the corporate world  but have now achieved respect and financial success. So this book is can be used a source of  motivation for younger women grappling with similar issues. Would you still be opposed to this type of revenue generation from a feminist?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll just say that I think it fundamentally dishonest to make a living being a feminist. Making money off your beliefs. I mean that's what politicians do. 

What if a feminist wrote a book about the trials and  tribulations they have been through as a women in the corporate world  but have now achieved respect and financial success. So this book is can be used a source of  motivation for younger women grappling with similar issues. Would you still be opposed to this type of revenue generation from a feminist?

There is a difference between being payed for your work, sponsored and being a kept woman. The latter would be the least likely to be considered feminist friendly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A professional feminist without sexism is redundant.

Man, misogyny is meat and drink to the professional feminist, like any identity politics or single-issue obsessive.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well Reddit had one where threads on it were purged (rumours a Reddit admin was in with Quinn as well). NeoGAF also shut stuff down there, but I've not much detail on it. Were some others as well, generally was a no-no on some sites like RPS where you'd get banned for mentioning it once SJWalker determined it was about Quinn's private life and nothing else.

To be fair, Walker's tirade has been ignored on RPS for a while. One mod tried to reinstate the ban a couple of days ago because he was bored of the discussion or something... and another mod then started a topic ignoring that nearly immediately. It's rather ironic that all the defenders there seem to actively want it to be all about Quinn so they can legitimately shut it down/ high horse about privacy, and they tend to be the ones going on about that particular aspect. Many of the others including long time members are trawling through RPS articles looking for when RPS 'invaded privacy' (as with Max wossname) or complained about tactics they themselves have used on this issue ('The Silence').

RPS is also one of the few sites I have some sympathy for being defensive as they're in a bad position. Serves them right for being illogical and unapologetic SJW (and holy asterisks did Grayson, primarily, annoy me by shoehorning SJW into every interview he did) but, you should not slag off former employees except with very good reason, and at present the reason falls short of good.

Baby steps to the right direction!

http://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2014/8/26/6071669/on-patreon-support

http://kotaku.com/a-brief-note-about-the-continued-discussion-about-kotak-1627041269

It should have been common sense in the first place. If you're supporting someone financially you should at least say so when reviewing their game.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

jjcPVvv.png

That was worth a chuckle.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Baby steps to the right direction!

http://www.polygon.com/forums/meta/2014/8/26/6071669/on-patreon-support

http://kotaku.com/a-brief-note-about-the-continued-discussion-about-kotak-1627041269

It should have been common sense in the first place. If you're supporting someone financially you should at least say so when reviewing their game.

I would say that they are overreacting and unnecessary invasion privacy of their journalists/writers. Because if you don't trust publication/journalist/writer/etc. then I don't think it will make any difference do you know if said publication/journalist/writer has given money for project/game/person/etc., without it being investment with monetary returns from products sales/other income,  they are covering, but same time such policy causes said publication/journalist/writer/etc. lose their right to use their money as they see fit.

But they are free to do what they want, but I think that this is going in comical levels.

jjcPVvv.png

That was worth a chuckle.

Never change, backpedaling SJWs.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Yeah. Her whole attitude is somewhere between the abyss of madness and the throne of the "cathedral".... she is out of control. Someone should just shut her up and case closed. Her stupid arguments dont belong into the gaming press at all. Just erase that damn fraud out of the memories. In all honesty, if she would just join a boring picnic club and argue with butterflys that would be far better for all. Because in reality she needs help. So you girls out there, help her and find her a good picnic club !

And what i truly think is, she is the Bin Laden of gaming. And Anita S.... is her imam!

Edited by NWN_babaYaga
  • Like 1

What I've learned:

1.) Gaming Journalism has no moral fiber or regard for ethics, and anything that threatens the status quo will be viciously attacked by them.

2.) Indie game devs are pretentious and overly loyal.

3.) People on the internet are vicious and don't know how to productively focus their anger.

None of these are new revelations. 

This whole thing was overblown. What Zoe Quinn did was wrong, both privately and professionally. My problems aren't with her or the people supporting what she did, however, as it's just a part of society as a whole going down a dark path. My problems remain 100% solely with the gaming journalism industry.

It's a sad state of affairs. I can't even find Kotaku's or The Escapist's guidelines for ethics, for example (If you can please point me there because I genuinely want to see them). Polygon has one, but it's pretty weak (http://www.polygon.com/pages/ethics-statement) and it's clear that they don't enforce it.  

In contrast, here's one from the LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/readers/2007/07/los-angeles-tim.html) or The Washington Post (http://asne.org/content.asp?pl=236&sl=19&contentid=335). I'm not going to get into a debate on whether those newspapers are good or if they agree with your views or not, but I can tell you that they are strict on enforcing these policies.

I don't go to a gaming journalism site to read about anything except gaming industry news. I'm not interested in this cake that TOTALLY looks like a game character (save it for the viral video sites, seriously), what laws have changed regarding the acceptance of transgender people or anything related to pop culture. This isn't because I'm against these things or anything, it just isn't the right place for it. These sites have no vision. They want to appeal to the masses in whatever way they can because they must feel that's the only way for them to stay relevant. Maybe the fate of G4TV scared them or something.

There's also huge ethical concerns in regard to developers and publishers who have games that are going to be reviewed by a site advertising on said site, or receiving freebies from developers in exchange for positive review scores. In this way, Developers and publishers contribute to the issues with gaming journalism too. They need to stop putting so much stock in review scores  (See: What Bethesda did to Obsidian after Fallout New Vegas) and focus on what the people who purchase their products feel about it.

The industry needs to change, but the reaction to this situation is not the way to go about it. It isn't a clear cut problem with one solution. It's going to take years and a slow reformation, and the members of the gaming press are going to fight it every step of the way because the way things are right now is extremely profitable for them.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for rambling on, I just wanted to regurgitate my thoughts somewhere I guess.

• Like 3

http://nastythingssaidabout.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/the-terrible-misogyny-in-the-games-industry/

This is one of best blog posts that I have read and also the longest. It's all about the double standard in gaming media and touches the Zoe thing only in couple of sentences, but this is what makes it so good.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Moviebob Chipman the ever righteous justice warrior being classy retweeting just the pic of the thumbnail from Boogie2988's video (fairly tame), with no additional comment. The reason I can only guess being "look at that neckbeard loser haha". Boogie2988 is a nice guy with a sad story and resulting health issues. Good job Bob on being a hypocrite.

BwPhbS_CIAAmRRU.jpg

• Like 3

Moviebob Chipman the ever righteous justice warrior being classy retweeting just the pic of the thumbnail from Boogie2988's video (fairly tame), with no additional comment. The reason I can only guess being "look at that neckbeard loser haha". Boogie2988 is a nice guy with a sad story and resulting health issues. Good job Bob on being a hypocrite.

BwPhbS_CIAAmRRU.jpg

Wow, what a **** move.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

This is probably the largest flame war in history, certainly seems like it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is probably the largest flame war in history, certainly seems like it.

One for the history annals certainly.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, those last 10 minutes are glorious. Especially the ending.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

To be honest. When i would had the chance to be on the pax prime or so i would jump on anita and quinn and slap them across the floor. I have lost all my respect for the woman who are of their mindset and the guys who supports them. A big punch in the face could work wonder!

Why buy into the hate train that the extremes of both sides are riding? They're clearly fanatics.

One side over attached to the games they play and overreacting when it is threatened by lying extremists who wish to restrict gaming to their own personal flawed vision, so much so that they resort to threats of violence and rape. They are quite clearly upset by the threat to their style of living, which is admittedly unhealthy, no one should be that invested in an entertainment product.

The other side equally upset that they have been caught out, that their corruption, lack of ethics and symbiotic relationship with those whom they are supposed to remain impartial about, has been highlighted. So they demean, dismiss and launch impassioned diatribes to defend the indefensible. They take the opposing extremist minoritys words and label everybody critical of them as the same, painting themselves as self righteous victims whom are truly doing good, and all others as subhumans.

This was inevitable, for the longest time they hated and looked down upon their audience, so much so that they decided to no longer represent them and feel free to lecture and bully them like they are children instead. Pushing their own fashionable agendas, while their own actions deteriorated and their complicity in misleading the public became ever more entrenched.

As a moderate I don't wish to buy into the polluted atmosphere of either side, i'd rather watch and judge impartially and hope that fellow moderates representing the vast majority of us subhumans, whom partake in games as a recreational distraction, finally stand up and call for some integrity, objectivity and fair representation of the public interest. As it stands game journalism frantically trying to dimiss the majority of moderate gamers as villains, while defending their own lack of ethics and objectivity is only harmful to themselves. They have become the villains they were fighting, and a laughing stock for anybody who is tired of being hamfistedly designated as subhuman.

In the end the side whom made and still make this industry profitable will win, those subhumans (male or female) whom just want to play games, and do not wish to be lectured, portrayed as evil or ridiculed for simply having a few hours fun after work and before family commitments call.

This is just my personal opinion however.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To be honest. When i would had the chance to be on the pax prime or so i would jump on anita and quinn and slap them across the floor. I have lost all my respect for the woman who are of their mindset and the guys who supports them. A big punch in the face could work wonder!

-_^

Why buy into the hate train that the extremes of both sides are riding? They're clearly fanatics.

One side over attached to the games they play and overreacting when it is threatened by lying extremists who wish to restrict gaming to their own personal flawed vision, so much so that they resort to threats of violence and rape. They are quite clearly upset by the threat to their style of living, which is admittedly unhealthy, no one should be that invested in an entertainment product.

The other side equally upset that they have been caught out, that their corruption, lack of ethics and symbiotic relationship with those whom they are supposed to remain impartial about, has been highlighted. So they demean, dismiss and launch impassioned diatribes to defend the indefensible. They take the opposing extremist minoritys words and label everybody critical of them as the same, painting themselves as self righteous victims whom are truly doing good, and all others as subhumans.

This was inevitable, for the longest time they hated and looked down upon their audience, so much so that they decided to no longer represent them and feel free to lecture and bully them like they are children instead. Pushing their own fashionable agendas, while their own actions deteriorated and their complicity in misleading the public became ever more entrenched.

As a moderate I don't wish to buy into the polluted atmosphere of either side, i'd rather watch and judge impartially and hope that fellow moderates representing the vast majority of us subhumans, whom partake in games as a recreational distraction, finally stand up and call for some integrity, objectivity and fair representation of the public interest. As it stands game journalism frantically trying to dimiss the majority of moderate gamers as villains, while defending their own lack of ethics and objectivity is only harmful to themselves. They have become the villains they were fighting, and a laughing stock for anybody who is tired of being hamfistedly designated as subhuman.

In the end the side whom made and still make this industry profitable will win, those subhumans (male or female) whom just want to play games, and do not wish to be lectured, portrayed as evil or ridiculed for simply having a few hours fun after work and before family commitments call.

This is just my personal opinion however.

Like you new signature.

• Like 2

village_idiot.gif