Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"George Lucas has revealed that none of his idead for the future Star Wars episodes will be used by Disney." link

"The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those," Lucas said. "So they made up their own. So it's not the ones that I originally wrote [on screen in Star Wars: The Force Awakens]."

Great news for people who enjoy movies..

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

"George Lucas has revealed that none of his idead for the future Star Wars episodes will be used by Disney." link

"The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those," Lucas said. "So they made up their own. So it's not the ones that I originally wrote [on screen in Star Wars: The Force Awakens]."

Great news for people who enjoy movies..

One suspects they offered to buy them to stroke his ego. He must be aware surely by now that his name is mud.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Exactly, his ideas but actual writers and directors improving them like what happened with Empire? Sounds like a solid plan to me.

I still think that you could replace him with a coked up toddler and you still get something good, I mean if you have to polish his ideas to the point that they become someone else's you kind of don't need him. I will remind you of two names: Darth Icky and Darth Insanius (the latter one is probably what people call George behind his back)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sometimes I feel bad for Lucas ... I mean, he means well. I don't think he's the devil incarnate (most of the time). I think one of his issues is he can get too wrapped up in making a movie for himself, rather than for an audience. If that makes sense. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm too lost to say he means well. I don't think he means ill is best I can do.

The prequels only showed marginal improvements and his two pet projects since that time have both done rather poorly. I have to ask if he's even trying to improve.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I still have no interest in the new films. I mean I'm sure I'll catch them on cableTV someday, but that's it.

Left field: sometimes I wonder if James Cameron is one day going to join my personal list of directors I used to love but now don't.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think Cameron can still craft good/entertaining movies, even if I'm not personally interested in a specific project. But Avatar/sequels has me wondering if he's going off the deep end re: some personal artistic vision or something, ala Lucas and the prequels/altering original SW etc. If Cameron ever finishes dancing with the Avatar stuff, it'll be what he does after (if anything) that will decide me.

I think he's more interested in filming deep sea wrecks, and who can blame him. It's a shame though. The blockbuster is such a boring formula and there are maybe a handfull of old timers who can almost do whatever they want just on the strenght of their name. Ridly Scott springs to mind. 

I hear the moses thing with Bale was terrible so bad example maybe. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ridley Scott seems to stumble whenever he gets near history, his Crusades movie was a flop too.

I loved Avatar and look forward to more.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) is my favorite movie.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Ridley Scott seems to stumble whenever he gets near history, his Crusades movie was a flop too.

I loved Avatar and look forward to more.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) is my favorite movie.

I enjoyed the Director's Cut as well, but what ended up in the box office was not nearly as good and bombed badly.  

Yep. Kingdom of Heaven was a flop in the US --making only $47m against a $130m budget. But it was more popular internationally, taking in $211m.

Part of the reason for the flop was due to the cuts instituted by the studio for the theatrical release --pretty much lobotimizing any semblance of a well crafted story and character development for key characters. Turning an intelligent epic film about the nature of religion and personal redemption against the backdrop of the Crusades into an action flick with swords and chainmail pitting Christians against Muslims.

The Director's Cut is a completely different movie.

I'd kinda compare it to KotOR 2 in some ways.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Sometimes I feel bad for Lucas ... I mean, he means well. I don't think he's the devil incarnate (most of the time). I think one of his issues is he can get too wrapped up in making a movie for himself, rather than for an audience. If that makes sense.

I think its fair to say based on existing statements with the prequels, he was more excited by the technologies he could use than he was in the narrative he told. Even though the original trilogy had its actors complain that Lucas couldn't direct them well around the special effects, the word on the pre-quels was that he was even less able to direct the cast for making sure the special effects pieces were going to work.

Mind you I think Lucas also suffers (in some respects) that fandom and Star Wars kept moving without him due to the EU and that created a lot of expectations that Lucas wasn't ever going to fulfill.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man