Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

When Sensuki says auto attack was not on does that mean he just wasn't using it? Or does this game NOT have an auto attack?

Sensuki isn't a dev. We would need a developer to answer those questions.

We fans can only go by what was shown to us in the demos. And from context. In the infinity engine games, if you click on the 'select all' button and then click on a target, your characters would auto-attack that target until its dead, then they'd move on to the next target automatically. That is the default AI in the system.

We didn't actually see this happening in the PoE demos, but it's hard to determine why. If Adam did not select his entire party, then his entire party will not automatically start attacking the enemies on the screen. This is in line with how the infinity engine games operated.

Edited by Stun

From memory the standard AI would attack enemies on sight. The PC character in the BG games didn't come with a script though. Companions had a default script that had auto-attack on sight.

I think in Icewind Dale, characters would attack if attacked, and if you ordered them to attack any unit, they'd keep attacking enemies of that type until they were all dead. I think if there was a Worg and a Wolf, and your character killed the Worg, he would not automatically attack the Wolf, unless the Wolf attacked him.

Edited by Sensuki

I think in Icewind Dale, characters would attack if attacked, and if you ordered them to attack any unit, they'd keep attacking enemies of that type until they were all dead. I think if there was a Worg and a Wolf, and your character killed the Worg, he would not automatically attack the Wolf, unless the Wolf attacked him.

Exactly, that is the way it works in IWD (with HOW)

:yes:

UFWDJRj.jpg

I'm hoping there will be enough spells in the game to accomplish such a task. Not sure of Josh is a big fan of the Hold/Stun/paralyze/entangle line of magic. But in the IE games, those were an option.

One of my favorite options in fact. I think some of them were overpowered and had too-long durations; entangle, web, or stinking cloud were something of win buttons at times. If they had expired after a few rounds things would've been more interesting (and also less waiting around for them to expire after the battle was won).

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I noticed in the cave, around 1:45:00 in the twitch video, the spiders seems to lose their walking animation. Either that, or the 'held' small spider is getting pushed by the larger brown one.

Although pushing a 'held' party member would make for some fun tactical choices *shoves a petrified fighter*...

^I'm not so sure. Neverwinter Nights 2 also used several spell icons from the Icewind Dales.

There is something to be said for familiarity IMO. The setting is already new and the game mechanics will take some getting used to.

Most of us know what the "blue plus sign" does(heal) so it's one less thing to try and figure out.

Besides how many different ways can you really put haste or heal into an icon...just google haste icon and....yup most people use boots with wings or something similar.

I do understand how people may think it is out of place though since the setting is more dark/stoney. The icons are pretty bright and colorful.

IIRC way back in the mists of time, it was stated that Obsidian bought the art assets from Icewind Dale.  My guess is they'd reuse those icons for similar spell types to save development time and cost.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, a much stronger showing. I'm not so worried about difficulty now that I see how much more effective the player can be. :)

To be honest though, I really wish the magic system could have gotten past the per-rest limitation on spellcasters. I know he had to rest a lot just to keep his health up, but he was also throwing a lot of spells to speed things along. I guess it's just the Baldur's Gate tribute slipping in, but I never liked that part of the D&D magic system.

It's nice to see the pet system in action though. I was afraid that the backer pet would be something that stuck out like a sore thumb and therefore I'd never use, but if they integrated it into the game (spider pets... Now everyone has to go get the spider pet) then it's just cool.  :yes:

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

IMHO

• Spell Icons look horrible, I was hoping for BG1 style icons (less flashy, more clear, looking "handwritten")
  • Character Animations look a bit odd, but I hope this is still W.I.P.
  • Terrain looks awesome
  • The Inn is way too empty (more tables, more customers. Compare to the "Friendly Arm" in BG1 for example)
  • Interface elements are too clean, specially in character creation. it just looks completely artificial.
  • Combat looks awesome

About the Inn... when the Inn is a little Inn of a village that has no connection to a major road or is used as some sort of resting place for lots of caravan people then it should not be too overcrowded. Wouldnt make much sense to throw all village people in it because who would work then out on the fields... do the homestuff etc... just what medieval people had to do at day. What I like are taverns that have more people in by the evening and no real activity during the day... realy depending on what kind of Inn/ tavern it is.

• Like 1

I meant the little circular map in the upper corner ala D:OS but I just remembered that those were not present in the IE games. Guess I just got used to them from other games.

I think this would be a good thing to add -- just to be clear, without adding any markers that don't also appear on the main map.  It was always mildly annoying to have to flip between the area map and the main screen when trying to verify that "Yes, this is the right building to enter to complete / start / find a merchant / whatever."  I spent a good deal of time "enter an area, flip to the map, click on the map to zoom to the correct area, click on the (hoped for) entrance to start walking, flip back to the map while movement occurred" -- with a mini-map, I probably would have just used the mini-map instead.

There are way to many details that need to added before this game is released.  I can not believe it will make it by Dec for a ful release?

As a beta it looks really good and this is the first beta.   But it needs tons and tons of details to impress.  

Just that Battle with the spiders or Orge Guy shows how much is missing.  

Also your characters look really blury and out of place in the town, your models?  They don't look defined at all.   The Dungeons look way to happy and bright is this game for teens?  Is this... what do they call it, High Fantasy?

The Fonts color doesn't blend in on the screen well as it is.

The UI I am sure you are already working on really needs help.

It needs more atmosphere.  Cut the lights a bit get out a torch to add more atmosphere in Dungeons and caves.

Spiders should have webs and get up on there legs when they attack using the body to knock you down as well as attacking webs, poison etc.  When they die they should have blood.

When you walk into a Cave you should trigger Spiders attacking by touching a web on the floor or making sound.   There shouldn't just be some Random spider hanging out that's silly.  Spiders are cunning Hunters.

Characters should say something about all the bones in the Orge's Cave.  The battle with the Orge's, the Club should knock Characters Flat and Stun them, Knock them in the air and stun them, break bones(since you have this in there) 

Even your reflex shouldn't prevent all of that from happening in battle.

If you have a windmill running and looking beautfiul with the water then why can't you have some signs move in the wind, or some Grass, or some tress, then have leaves fall.  It looks like your trying to add as much in the wild?  But I think some more animated nature would work wonders for your world.

I could write a ton more.  Over all it looks like what everyone was hoping for .

Me I hope you can make it better.   Way Way better.   Details Gents.

Look forward to Seeing People Playing your Beta on youtube.

Great Job so far.

• Like 1