Thoughts on Gamescon Stream

1) The Game looks really awesome

2) On certain backgrounds, the characters look just god awful and hard to distinguish from the floor (the town road)

3) Some of the armor or cloth hey are wearing just looks so incredibly generic. This is a fantasy game.

4) The Characters need way more animation work. As someone who is just WATCHING, there is no cinematic feeling whatsoever as I can't even tell who is doing what. Spells are being cast, but I couldn't even tell who was casting what at first glance. Some particle effects would go a long way to really distinguish who is doing what.

5) What was with no traits/feats?

Those are by far my biggest concerns. I cannot wait to play this game. I bring up only the negatives because why bring up all the awesome positives?

Edited by Pray
  • Like 4

Just a few more thoughts after watching this again -

1) Damage numbers need to be bigger and last a split second longer.

2) Spell casting needs the casters to have some preliminary spell effects. The animations are so weak that it's hard to really distinguish that "that guy's casting a spell" or not.

I disagree about the armor and cloth: I especially like the restrained and relatively realistic look they've gone for. I'm sure there will be higher-level gear that's a bit blingier, but I am SO happy there are no spiky pauldrons or oversized greaves here TYVM.

As to the animations, that's obviously due to budget. This isn't a cinematic game, and was never pitched as one. They get the job done just fine.

• Like 29

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I really liked the "Citadel figurines throwing spells and punches at each other"-feel. It's very much in line with the classic IE games. In D:OS, the animations in their turn-based combat is over the top and slightly weird, as a comparison, a bit like in Fallen Enchantress at times. If I need more animation, action and screen shaking, I'll just fire up Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. Also, those armours should stay that way - down and dirty, and more realistic than most games of this kind.

• Like 8

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've never played the original IE games, so perhaps I don't have the nostalgia effect. I'm just looking at it from a "do i want to play this game or not" feel. I do feel that the game needs  a little bit more glamour - not so i have more "screen shaking," but that I can simply tell what my characters are doing, who they all are, and to get more feedback from the actions I am taking.

That shouldn't be a bad thing, just because it's not like the original(s).

• Like 4

I really liked the "Citadel figurines throwing spells and punches at each other"-feel. It's very much in line with the classic IE games. In D:OS, the animations in their turn-based combat is over the top and slightly weird, as a comparison, a bit like in Fallen Enchantress at times. If I need more animation, action and screen shaking, I'll just fire up Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls. Also, those armours should stay that way - down and dirty, and more realistic than most games of this kind.

Well, I definitely disagree with your "needs more fantastic armor" <_< Fantasy armor these days are ridicolous.

Also, why does everyone keep bringing up traits/feats? Were they promised for this game or what?

• Like 3

Pray: I understand what you're getting at, but for those of us with a PnP and IE games background, this is in a weird way immersive, cosy and exciting, all rolled up into one drool-fest! 

• Like 11

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmm. I play role playing games to experience an interesting story in an interesting world.

I don't play role playing games to get repeatedly slaughtered by random beetles even on Easy.

So the Gamescom stream was rather a big letdown, really.

• Like 1

Pray: I understand what you're getting at, but for those of us with a PnP and IE games background, this is in a weird way immersive, cosy and exciting, all rolled up into one drool-fest! 

I just want more game "feedback," where I can tell exactly what's going on just by watching and looking. I don't have that feeling, and for feeble-minded, unwelcome kiddies like myself, that's not a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, i'm incredibly excited for this game (it's 4:30 am and i stayed up to watch a 15 minute live stream), but i very strongly believe a bit more glamour and flair would go a long way towards player satisfaction for the uninitiated among us.

How having a little more particle effects and graphical quality somehow makes the experience LESS quality for you, I wouldn't quite get.

Edited by Pray
  • Like 2

Only Baldur's Gate 2. And the combat was my least favourite part of that game, too.

But the important thing is that if even the developers get brutalised on Easy, I can't help but suspect the difficulty might be too high.

It's not even into beta yet. Difficulty is something that probaly wont be very hard to adjust, if that even really should have been an issue (starter gear and what not)

• Like 2

It would also detract from satisfaction for the nostalgic among us. That would give me a sad.

Is this The Nostalgia game or PoE?

I don't know about the rest of you but Nostalgia has no bearing on me, but how the quality of the game holds up for itself.

• Like 3

I just want more game "feedback," where I can tell exactly what's going on just by watching and looking. I don't have that feeling, and for feeble-minded, unwelcome kiddies like myself, that's not a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, i'm incredibly excited for this game (it's 4:30 am and i stayed up to watch a 15 minute live stream), but i very strongly believe a bit more glamour and flair would go a long way towards player satisfaction for the uninitiated among us.

How having a little more particle effects and graphical quality somehow makes the experience LESS quality for you, I wouldn't quite get.

I love your enthusiasm, Pray! :)

And don't you ever define yourself as "feeble-minded" and "unwelcome". Actually, I think I can promise you, right off the bat, that it will indeed be more glamorous and flair-y than what you've seen here, and I know you will get used to recognizing all of your pcs as individual characters soon enough.  

• Like 2

F*** that glamour thing! If you have a magical or masterwork piece of weapon or armor then they must be somewhat outstanding but ordinary stuff is crafted for practical use only. I like the approach when a designer knows how an armor is crafted completely. From the material up to the cauterizing of ornaments and colors, otherwise most stuff looks like ... looks like.... right!

So stylized armory can look amazing but it should be at least practical too.

Nostalgic = more experienced!

Edited by NWN_babaYaga
  • Like 3

I do agree that they could add a small effect to indicate when someone is casting a spell. Because as it is it mostly just sort of happens. A small VFX along the lines of any of the IE games would go a long way to distinguish things there. 

Also, regarding the difficulty, I have a feeling that Adam was playing really poorly. He was using the rogue at range most of the time, used few spells other than straight up damage ones or healing ones (he used Hold once?) and in one case, even forgot to have his main character do anything at all. Adam seemed to just be playing one character at the time with little multitasking, almost forgetting that the other characters existed. Also, I feel Josh got a bit... tensed towards the end given the relatively poor performance in-game here. I think Adam felt that pressure and it made him nervous and screw up a bit more. 

• Like 3

Hmm. I play role playing games to experience an interesting story in an interesting world.

I don't play role playing games to get repeatedly slaughtered by random beetles even on Easy.

Although I haven't got the time to play CRPGs like I used to, I must say I almost sadistically like the idea of getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of beetles on Easy, since it shows that the combat is demanding and challenging, and that I need to delve into the system before I see results, a bit like COH - it takes quite a while before you get the hang of it. I really like that. :)

• Like 6

Although I haven't got the time to play CRPGs like I used to, I must say I almost sadistically like the idea of getting my ass handed to me by a bunch of beetles on Easy, since it shows that the combat is demanding and challenging, and that I need to delve into the system before I see results, a bit like COH - it takes quite a while before you get the hang of it. I really like that. :)

I've never quite understood the theme park ride myself - the joy of these games is overcoming the challenge. 

• Like 5

I agree that this game need more fantastical armor, it doesn't have to be over the top, but please don't let them be generic. This is after all a high fantasy game.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Is this The Nostalgia game or PoE?

It was pitched as the spiritual successor to the IE games, with "the IE feel" the top design goal. So to answer your question, yes, this is very much The Nostalgia Game.

Let's Pray that it stay true to that.

• Like 5