Risen 3 is coming

Tigranes

255bgru-zoekgj1e.jpg

lol Patty uglier than Demonicon sister

But she has a healthy pair of lungs so we will give her a pass :sweat:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Early impressions on 3 hours is that this is very much built on Risen 2 assets, gameplay, etc., though whether it ends up being better, same or worse will depend on how mid-level combat and quests across all islands pan out. It is definitely not a return to R1 / G1/2 'roots' as they claimed in the promos. 

I'm having fun, but then, I also enjoyed R2 despite its flaws.

Early impressions on 3 hours is that this is very much built on Risen 2 assets, gameplay, etc., though whether it ends up being better, same or worse will depend on how mid-level combat and quests across all islands pan out. It is definitely not a return to R1 / G1/2 'roots' as they claimed in the promos. 

I'm having fun, but then, I also enjoyed R2 despite its flaws.

Keep us updated, I respect your opinion as I consider you a reasonable and committed gamer

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Very early on, but it does remind me a lot of Risen 2.  Especially the combat.

I'm a little lost with the story so far because I can't remember much more than the basics of what happened in Risen 2.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

~10 hours in and my impression is actually pretty good. 

It is not your good old G1/2 style PB game in many ways. Combat is no longer the difficult, bare-bones affair that once iconised, say, Night of the Raven, and enemy attack patterns are less intelligent. But unlike G3 vanilla, where it was just 'same old PB combat just crap', or R2 where it was 'same old PB combat just crap + broken awkward guns/voodoo', R3 now adds many new elements to combat that at least are substantial. There is crystal magic, voodoo and rune magic; magic has now been made actually practical to use, where awkward controls + long casting times + scarcity in previous games often made them tricky. I don't know if guns are OP again, but in general, the rule seems to be - there's a lot more flexibility and a lot more stuff for you to do in fights, even if it doesn't mask the fact that enemies are sometimes quite stupid and the combat is not that challenging. 

I am pleasantly surprised by exploration, quest and atmosphere however. The first two islands that you will likely visit (Tutorial, Antigua) are crap. They recycle old assets, they have barely no NPCs, there's a lot of crap cutscenes, and it's the worst way to misrepresent your game for thousands of people that will probably give up there. After that, once the game opens up, the islands are bigger than R2 and all combined are bigger than R1. Each island has its own backstory which is fully borne out in the visual design of the island and the dialogue, as well as the quests - you know why the mages have a thriving harbour, why they have built their buildings on top of a big ring thing, why they are not on good terms with the inquisitors, etc. There's also a large number of quests to do, dozens upon dozens, and some of them evoke both R2 humour and good old PB'ish quests that have been in every single game. From bullying a gnome to get back to work to sneaking onto the rooftop of a ship to recovering a drunk pirate's lost belongings.

Anyway, it's a fun game with a lot of content packed in, and a game which shows surprisingly good design in world cohesion; sadly it will neither be a Great game or a true old school PB game because the core melee combat & enemy AI has not been well built. It's definitely better than R2 by far.

• Like 2

I'll buy it when I can use my right hand again. So far I feel like meh... meh... about it. I wouldn't mind playing it, as I did all of PBs games since Gothic 1, but I am not exactly burning for it by now. At least I am happy that they didn't fully dropped the pirate stuff like it looked in the first released screenshots.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

While the humanoid AI does indeed suck, I don't remember any intelligent patterns in Gothic 1/2. Risen had pretty decent melee combat, though, and has something this game sorely lacks: a way to lock-on to a single target.

That's one of the more frustrating things with combat, particularly when there's multiple opponents near you.  It's difficult to aim your attack at one and not worry about whether you'll end up attacking another.

The AI companion doesn't seem to do much but attack.  I haven't noticed them dodging out of the way, so they basically trade blows with the enemy.  And they take their sweet time swinging their sword, too.  For every one hit they land on the enemy, I'll land 3 or 4.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just had a quest cancellation because I left one island to go to another.  The quest itself didn't seem time sensitive nor did me leaving the island seem to (from a logical point of view) change how it was going.

So I re-loaded a previous save, and now it appears I'm stuck on the island until I finish this quest.  It's a pretty big one, too, so skipping it seems kind of pointless.

There are quite a few of those.

Finished it tonight just before POE downloaded. It is indeed R2+. The combat is far too easy and the exploration is not quite there to make it a proper Gothic-y game, and indeed I think PB has lost far too many original developers (unlike Black Isle / Obsidian) to make it possible. But it is an upgrade on R2 and a decent romp with quite a bit of charm in the world. 

• Like 1

A little surprised this game is getting so little discussion.  RPG forum, RPG fans (for the most part), RPG game.

Most of us haven't played it yet which is why we aren't in a position to discuss it :)

John Milton 

"It's an RPG" is a pretty low hurdle when it comes to talking points. Personally I have nothing to say because I've never played any PB game.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Aren't PB games banned in Australia because of there extreme violence?

John Milton 

Nope, but Risen was banned due to the use of real or real-analogue drugs which are shown have positive effects. Completely made-up drugs like in Fallout are generally okay, though SR4 got in trouble for the nonspecific "Alien Narcotics".

The other common reason for bans in Australia is Sexual Violence. Sex is fine, violence is fine, but never shall the two meet. South Park and SR3 and their anal probing fall under this category.

Actually sex is not fine under one circumstance too: as a quest reward. The Witcher 2 had a small scene cut out because of this.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

A little surprised this game is getting so little discussion.  RPG forum, RPG fans (for the most part), RPG game.

Risen 2 disappointed most PB fans, and this is built on the same engine and has the same (but tweaked) gameplay and assets. Plus, it's been released in 2014, which is shaping up to be the best year for RPGs in a decade.

I enjoyed it and finished it, but I'm not really likely to go back to it. I fired up R1 afterwards and it is so much better. If only they had tuned melee combat animations and timing properly it could have been a nice piratey romp, and it is definitely not as broken as R2 was, but it's disappointing. By the end I was literally running through the final island at full speed sprint smashing every enemy into pulp within half a second. 

Got to say I love the R2/3 gnomes though. Ugly blotched pig-nose faced dwarfs covered top to bottom in filthy pouches talking about ****ing stupid homis not understanding ways of the gnoo (=steal everything) in high pitched tones.

• Like 1