Risen 3 is coming

Tigranes

20% off at Green Man Gaming with code O7CNAE-Z1Y29P-QZAJ1I until 15 August.

Gameplay video:

http://www.twitch.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=552862089

Everything seems to suggest a game which retains many assets from Risen 2, but tries its best to go back to Risen 1 and even early Gothics design. Piranha Bytes hasn't been the same since it lost early days members (and a lead designer to cancer, I think) but Risen 1 was excellent and 2 was fun if flawed. I have hopes that this one will at least be closer to Risen 1. 

• Like 1

Swimming is back so I'm interested again. Also saw some gameplay videos that looked good, very much like Risen/Gothic.

It helps that I'm starving for this type of game..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like gnomes, let me play as one.

When has Piranha Bytes ever let you play as anything other than GWhiMP™ (Generic White Male Protagonist).*

* GHwiMP is a registered trademark of Keyrock Corporation, all rights reserved.  All uses of GWhiMP are made with the expressed permission of Keyrock Corporation.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

When has Piranha Bytes ever let you play as anything other than GWhiMP™ (Generic White Male Protagonist).*

* GHwiMP is a registered trademark of Keyrock Corporation, all rights reserved.  All uses of GWhiMP are made with the expressed permission of Keyrock Corporation.

Wow, this is a day a never thought I would see. Keyrock actually making a comment about a SJ issue, these things normally don't bother you at all or you just don't comment?

Would you guys think less of me if I said " I am going to be playing this game and have really enjoyed the past 2 games"

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow, this is a day a never thought I would see. Keyrock actually making a comment about a SJ issue, these things normally don't bother you at all or you just don't comment?

Would you guys think less of me if I said " I am going to be playing this game and have really enjoyed the past 2 games"

[quietly]Shhhhhh.  Don't tell anyone, Bruce, I've got an image to maintain.[/quietly]

[loudly]Woman, get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich![/loudly]

/brofist 

//burp

///pulls underwear out of ass crack

////guzzles can of Natty Ice

/////crushes can against forehead

On a serious note, I wasn't particularly making that (lame) joke as a "OMG, they've never let you play as a woman or any other race, those discriminating pigs!" way.  It was more of a "you're always stuck playing the same nameless lazy generic white male character, it would be kind of nice to get a little bit of variety once in a while".  I'm all for female protagonists and black protagonists, and Hispanic protagonists, and Asian protagonists, etc. but not so much because I feel everyone must be represented equally all the time, rather because it gets boring playing the same stock character all the time.

Anyway, generic character criticisms aside, I enjoyed the first two games also and would likely play the third if it came to one of my platforms of choice.  For all my criticisms of Piranha Bytes, I still like them as a developer quite a bit, though I do feel like they've very much fallen in a rut, granted their rut is still better than a lot of other developers' output.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

[quietly]Shhhhhh.  Don't tell anyone, Bruce, I've got an image to maintain.[/quietly]

[loudly]Woman, get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich![/loudly]

/brofist 

//burp

///pulls underwear out of ass crack

////guzzles can of Natty Ice

/////crushes can against forehead

On a serious note, I wasn't particularly making that (lame) joke as a "OMG, they've never let you play as a woman or any other race, those discriminating pigs!" way.  It was more of a "you're always stuck playing the same nameless lazy generic white male character, it would be kind of nice to get a little bit of variety once in a while".  I'm all for female protagonists and black protagonists, and Hispanic protagonists, and Asian protagonists, etc. but not so much because I feel everyone must be represented equally all the time, rather because it gets boring playing the same stock character all the time.

Anyway, generic character criticisms aside, I enjoyed the first two games also and would likely play the third if it came to one of my platforms of choice.  For all my criticisms of Piranha Bytes, I still like them as a developer quite a bit, though I do feel like they've very much fallen in a rut, granted their rut is still better than a lot of other developers' output.

I thought that joke was funny and not lame at all and I know what you mean, also my impression of you and your view on SJ issues is that its not that you don't care about them its just that you feel a gaming forum isn't the place to necessarily  raise or discuss them :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think the problem with them just going with the white male is it sticks out as laziness. Like, none of their games' stories would really change if you play a female or someone who isn't white. And, I'm definitely not one of those silly people who go all wacko about those type of issues.

I've played all the Gothics  (not 4) and Risen 1. They all can be fun and have their positives but eventually they just get boring and I stop playing. Not out malice but just out of *shrugginess factor tm*.

I'll probably play this one eventually and the same thing will happen. I'll like it, I'll enjoy it, but it will just blasse out...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think the problem with them just going with the white male is it sticks out as laziness. Like, none of their games' stories would really change if you play a female or someone who isn't white. And, I'm definitely not one of those silly people who go all wacko about those type of issues.

I've played all the Gothics  (not 4) and Risen 1. They all can be fun and have their positives but eventually they just get boring and I stop playing. Not out malice but just out of *shrugginess factor tm*.

I'll probably play this one eventually and the same thing will happen. I'll like it, I'll enjoy it, but it will just blasse out...

Yeah, I'm the same around the Gothic series. I played them all except for 4, I don't consider 4 part of the series it was so bad. But I did love the other 3. The one complaint about Gothic 2 is I tried to complete the game as a Fire Mage and it became very difficult in combat at the higher levels, you notice this in the dragon battles.  So the game especially later on makes it almost impossible to finish if you follow the magic path

What I do like about Risen and Gothic around there  standard game design is where you can go where ever you want but there are certain monsters that will always defeat you at lower levels, I remember in Gothic 1 I learnt the importance of learning how to run....and run quickly :biggrin:

John Milton 

I didn't pre-order it. I've become wary after pre-ordering Gothic 3 back in the day and waiting 6 months before even opening the game box. I also didn't like Risen 2 very much.

But I know I'll be buying it anyhow. I'm stupid that way.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The game is the current top seller on Steam (in my region).

That's good to know, I always get happy when RPG do well in sales

John Milton 

Downloaded, installed, saw the main menu, set the in-game options... then came to the office.  ;(

But main menu is worst main menu I've seen in a while, 1/10 clearly game sucks etc.