IGN Article about PoE.

Yeah, but that's the trick, right - the framerate for the overlay effects and the 3d animations will always be on or towards the vsync. While the backgrounds and so on are static. So even if you have variable framerates, you don't get that world-wide stuttering you have in 3d games that use static 2d assets or pre-rendered light sources, pre-rendered lighted textures, etc., to alleviate the shader budget.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

Several weeks ago, I was browsing twitch for some interesting channels and found a channel of an half-asian (maybe ... wasn't quite sure) girl playing some pretty unusual games (like Portal or Mass Effect). She was definitely good-looking, but delivered a lot more in-style of what you would expect from a real commentator and let's player. There was no camera window (just when she selected games or talked freely she switched over to camera mode), no tight clothes or revealing dresses. She didn't have stripper make-up or told private backstories to make guys drool. She was just there, playing games, commentating and being a fun and nice person. I had several good laughs about her snarky comments. It was enjoyable! And then I looked at the view counter. She didn't even have more than 100 viewers, despite doing everything terribly right. Occasionally, someone joined the channel and posted something like "show your ****!". She never responded and those people left soon after.

commentators like her go down between the masses of camgirls like kaceytron. I wish they wouldn't be put into the same category. I wish there was a search option for channels of "real" female streamers.

Great story about a hot "half-asian (maybe)" girl who plays unusual games like Portal and wears baggy clothes and no "stripper makeup." Hey can I have your phone number? I'd like to start texting you pictures of my makeup and clothes before I go out every day. Reply with a thumbs down if my makeup is too stripper-like and my clothes are too tight or my dress too revealing and a thumbs up if I look "real."

Edited by ashtonw
  • Like 3

So, are you guys going to pick your cultural background in favour of having cool looking starting gear or are you going for flavour?

I'm torn on this one.

well your background cant be changed, starting gear will be replaced in few minutes

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Great story about a hot "half-asian (maybe)" girl who plays unusual games like Portal and wears baggy clothes and no "stripper makeup." Hey can I have your phone number? I'd like to start texting you pictures of my makeup and clothes before I go out every day. Reply with a thumbs down if my makeup is too stripper-like and my clothes are too tight or my dress too revealing and a thumbs up if I look "real."

Theres no thumbs down option. We will hilariously modify your behavior with Likes instead. Rofl. :lol:

Please stay on topic, Gfted1.

Hilariouse, forum member lectoring moderator

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So, are you guys going to pick your cultural background in favour of having cool looking starting gear or are you going for flavour?

I'm torn on this one.

Mm. I'm probably going for "bubblegum candy trollop" makeup for my bouncy elven chainmail armored spellsword. She's obviously not defined by her trollop makeup and smoking hot ass, at all - just so we're making that absolutely clear.

Several weeks ago, I was browsing twitch for some interesting channels and found a channel of an half-asian (maybe ... wasn't quite sure) girl playing some pretty unusual games (like Portal or Mass Effect). She was definitely good-looking, but delivered a lot more in-style of what you would expect from a real commentator and let's player. There was no camera window (just when she selected games or talked freely she switched over to camera mode), no tight clothes or revealing dresses. She didn't have stripper make-up or told private backstories to make guys drool. She was just there, playing games, commentating and being a fun and nice person. I had several good laughs about her snarky comments. It was enjoyable! And then I looked at the view counter. She didn't even have more than 100 viewers, despite doing everything terribly right. Occasionally, someone joined the channel and posted something like "show your ****!". She never responded and those people left soon after.

commentators like her go down between the masses of camgirls like kaceytron. I wish they wouldn't be put into the same category. I wish there was a search option for channels of "real" female streamers.

The point?

But I have a thesis:

Offtopic-watchdogs nowadays have become much more of a nuisance than grammar-nazis.

EDIT: and probably kill topics a lot more effective than offtopic discussions.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I'm torn on this one.

I was leaning toward being Vailian, because of their Renaissance flavor, regardless of whatever the starting gear will look like. But I'll probably take both into consideration.

Yeah, but that's the trick, right - the framerate for the overlay effects and the 3d animations will always be on or towards the vsync. While the backgrounds and so on are static. So even if you have variable framerates, you don't get that world-wide stuttering you have in 3d games that use static 2d assets or pre-rendered light sources, pre-rendered lighted textures, etc., to alleviate the shader budget.

Hm, right.. Ok. So, then..   I probably understood less than a third of that, and I'm not sure which third..

• Like 1

This statement is false.

So.. how about that trap FX rectangle*? Is that prerendered?

(*the one when the trap is triggered, that is.)

Thank you for putting this topic on the right track: And I like to know this as well? I'd guess it isn't, but there are other folks here on the forums that are much more qualified to discern stuff like that than me. :)

It is a bug with the normal mapping on those tiles. I am pretty sure it is fixed in the current build. If you look closely, you can also see the same effect when the torch moves near the tile borders.

• Like 2

You realize you have name dropped a person we shouldn't watch, but haven't given any useful info on the person we should watch? :p

• Like 1

You realize you have name dropped a person we shouldn't watch, but haven't given any useful info on the person we should watch? :p

And yet he wonder's why the terrible streamers get all the views?

So.. how about that trap FX rectangle*? Is that prerendered?

(*the one when the trap is triggered, that is.)

Thank you for putting this topic on the right track: And I like to know this as well? I'd guess it isn't, but there are other folks here on the forums that are much more qualified to discern stuff like that than me. :)

It is a bug with the normal mapping on those tiles. I am pretty sure it is fixed in the current build. If you look closely, you can also see the same effect when the torch moves near the tile borders.

Tell us more! :D

I'll be honest with you but there are several things with your post I don't like, I find it condescending and borderline sexist. I'll go into detail below. The reality is I don't think you meant to be offensive but that's how its coming across

• Why describe her as half-Asian, and then say you are not sure about her ethnicity ? Just say a female commentator like you would describe any male gaming reviewer
  • Is it unusual for female gamers to play Mass Effect? What's unusual about that
  • What is the definition of stripper makeup? Is this something that female gaming reviewers often wear?
  • Do female gaming reviewers often wear revealing and tight clothes?
  • What is your definition of doing everything " terribly right"...

If there is a female gaming reviewer that is wearing tight clothes and makeup does this automatically mean we should dismiss her perspective? Does this mean we don't take what they say seriously because they happen to be really attractive? Do we only take female gaming reviewers seriously if they don't dare display there sexuality or are confident as females and what they choose to wear?

• Like 4

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^I just gave you six likes to force you to keep entertaining me. :biggrin:

This is probably coming across the wrong way, but when I look at how much you enjoy the off topic of this thread, I'm somehow confused why exactly you locked the other one earlier instead of just pruning/moving it...

To get back on topic:

Is anyone else wondering under which circumstances the enemies defenses are being displayed? I mean the little window with Fortitude, Deflection etc. in it. It seems that the numbers appear after there has been a check against them? Or is it maybe governed by the lore skill? Or just some kind of test mode?

Displaying the enemies defenses seems to be giving out way too much information to me. You'll have no reason to think if you just know which are the lowest defenses to target.

^I just gave you six likes to force you to keep entertaining me. :biggrin:

Yeah I thought it was really strange to get so many likes so quickly considering the fact I generally don't  get likes but then I saw they were mostly from you, now I just have to get to  a point where you mean it ;)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh, Lephys, Lephys. Don't ever change.

There is a point to this kind of discussion, though, annoying as it is. It puts a social price tag on oblivious sexism. Take Sensuki, for example. He's really not all that argumentative and strongly prefers to discuss games rather than, say, cultural or social issues. He and others have already modified their behavior when they've noticed that certain kinds of behavior will bring out the SJW's and get threads derailed. It doesn't even require huge roaring battles, just "Hey, that wasn't very cool" followed by a few Likes. It imposes a social cost on dickish behavior. That's how the culture changes, little by little. The world ain't ever going to be perfect, but it can get better.

I guess I just think that "Hey, that wasn't very cool" does more harm than good when it's a bit premature, is all. When you start getting trigger happy with your social cost, your "Hey, that wasn't cool" warrants its very own "Hey, that wasn't cool." For whatever that's worth.

Annnnnywho... seriously, I apologize, as I wasn't trying to derail anything.

To get back on topic:

Is anyone else wondering under which circumstances the enemies defenses are being displayed? I mean the little window with Fortitude, Deflection etc. in it. It seems that the numbers appear after there has been a check against them? Or is it maybe governed by the lore skill? Or just some kind of test mode?

Displaying the enemies defenses seems to be giving out way too much information to me. You'll have no reason to think if you just know which are the lowest defenses to target.

The design of all that has been described by Josh, I believe. In some thread somewhere. Apparently if you run into a Blorp (made-up example foe), you'll be able to mouse-over and see the general defenses and such of Blorps. But, this info starts as ???'s and gets filled in after you've faced them enough or something (not sure how that mechanically works -- if it's a chance every time you kill one? Or every time you hit one? Or just "after X hits/kills, info unlocked!"). But, at that point, you still only see that "Oh, Blorps have like 40 deflection." That particular Blorp could still have 44, or 37, or what-have-you. So, I think once you've unlocked that info in your little beastiary-opedia thing, and you start a battle and mouse-over a given Blorp, it shows a certain color of number values there (grey? I don't remember) to designate "You know the relative characteristics of a Blorp, but not the specific ones of THIS Blorp, yet." Then, after you attack it in combat, I think the value you attacked will change to the exact value of that Blorp. So, if you hit it with a sword, you'll discover its exact Deflection, etc.

Also, all this can apparently be toggled off via options.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'll be honest with you but there are several things with your post I don't like, I find it condescending and borderline sexist. I'll go into detail below. The reality is I don't think you meant to be offensive but that's how its coming across

• Why describe her as half-Asian, and then say you are not sure about her ethnicity ? Just say a female commentator like you would describe any male gaming reviewer
  • Is it unusual for female gamers to play Mass Effect? What's unusual about that
  • What is the definition of stripper makeup? Is this something that female gaming reviewers often wear?
  • Do female gaming reviewers often wear revealing and tight clothes?
  • What is your definition of doing everything " terribly right"...
If there is a female gaming reviewer that is wearing tight clothes and makeup does this automatically mean we should dismiss her perspective? Does this mean we don't take what they say seriously because they happen to be really attractive? Do we only take female gaming reviewers seriously if they don't dare display there sexuality or are confident as females and what they choose to wear?

1) maybe he consider half-asians more attractive - nothing sexist or racist

2) he write its unusual game not, unusual for girl to play it

3) oh cmon, you can tell stripper/hooker from common 'make-up' girl by looks and to be honest, do you prepare make up, style your hairs, suit up etc. before you start playing any game?

4) those which want to attract guys more by looks then what they are saying - yes (as in all media business)

5) probably enjoyed her lets playing, good comments, good work with software, entertaining etc

Cmon Bruce, no need to look for white knight opportunity everywhere :)

• Like 1