IGN Article about PoE.

I'll be honest with you but there are several things with your post I don't like, I find it condescending and borderline sexist. I'll go into detail below. The reality is I don't think you meant to be offensive but that's how its coming across

• Why describe her as half-Asian, and then say you are not sure about her ethnicity ? Just say a female commentator like you would describe any male gaming reviewer
  • Is it unusual for female gamers to play Mass Effect? What's unusual about that
  • What is the definition of stripper makeup? Is this something that female gaming reviewers often wear?
  • Do female gaming reviewers often wear revealing and tight clothes?
  • What is your definition of doing everything " terribly right"...

If there is a female gaming reviewer that is wearing tight clothes and makeup does this automatically mean we should dismiss her perspective? Does this mean we don't take what they say seriously because they happen to be really attractive? Do we only take female gaming reviewers seriously if they don't dare display there sexuality or are confident as females and what they choose to wear?

Ah I thought that offtopic chatter was already ended...

But just to answer your questions (I won't go further into that matter, as I think I have spoken my mind already):

1) That sidenote about her being half-asian was just to paint a picture. But yeah, I can see why that might appear to be a racist comment in retrospective. Let's just ignore it and take it for what it is: a description.

2) Not unusual for female gamers, but unusual for streamers that usually go with "whatever is popular right now".

3) Huh, game reviewers? I wasn't talking about them. ;) ... and it was obviously an exaggeration to make a point. Don't take it literally.

4) Again, not talking about reviewers? I'm talking about female streamers.

5) Being a good entertainer, pretty much. When talking about streamers, it is mostly conversational and improvising skills. It's about catching the mood of a game and delivering it in your commentary. And the socializing of being part of a group aswell. Of course, there is a certain entertainment value in the human body itself, but it's kind of like the difference between "light entertainment" in afternoon television and a great theatre play. That analogy actually works pretty good. Surely, afternoon TV is watched by more people than a shakespearian play on a local stage, despite the obvious difference in quality.

And no, that doesn't automaticly mean that a revealing outfit disqualifies for being taken serious. But there is a difference between looking sexy and being obvious about your intents.

Zwiebelchen made a point that he found a female gaming reviewer that was really good, but its the reason he gave that she was so good that bothers me. He said she didn't rely on sexual innuendo, tight clothes and stripper make-up. The suggestion is that there are female gaming reviewers that rely on this to be recognised. I asked for examples of female gaming reviewers who follow this clearly "unacceptable" approach to gaming reviews. So I need examples if that's what people think or this to me is just a way to dismiss and undermine the contribution that female gaming reviewers make

I'm going to take a look into my browser history to find that positive example channel again, if you are so interested. But chances are, it won't help you with anything since the channel was german. ;)

But yeah, back to topic. What was the topic again...?

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I'll be honest with you but there are several things with your post I don't like, I find it condescending and borderline sexist. I'll go into detail below. The reality is I don't think you meant to be offensive but that's how its coming across

• Why describe her as half-Asian, and then say you are not sure about her ethnicity ? Just say a female commentator like you would describe any male gaming reviewer
  • Is it unusual for female gamers to play Mass Effect? What's unusual about that
  • What is the definition of stripper makeup? Is this something that female gaming reviewers often wear?
  • Do female gaming reviewers often wear revealing and tight clothes?
  • What is your definition of doing everything " terribly right"...

If there is a female gaming reviewer that is wearing tight clothes and makeup does this automatically mean we should dismiss her perspective? Does this mean we don't take what they say seriously because they happen to be really attractive? Do we only take female gaming reviewers seriously if they don't dare display there sexuality or are confident as females and what they choose to wear?

Ah I thought that offtopic chatter was already ended...

But just to answer your questions (I won't go further into that matter, as I think I have spoken my mind already):

1) That sidenote about her being half-asian was just to paint a picture. But yeah, I can see why that might appear to be a racist comment in retrospective. Let's just ignore it and take it for what it is: a description.

2) Not unusual for female gamers, but unusual for streamers that usually go with "whatever is popular right now".

3) Huh, game reviewers? I wasn't talking about them. ;) ... and it was just an exageration to make a point. Don't take it literally.

4) Again, not talking about reviewers? I'm talking about camgirls camouflaging as streamers

5) Being a good entertainer, pretty much. When talking about streamers, it is mostly conversational and improvising skills. It's about catching the mood of a game and delivering it in your commentary. And the socializing of being part of a group aswell. Of course, there is a certain entertainment value in the human body itself, but it's kind of like the difference between "light entertainment" in afternoon television and a great theatre play.

And no, that doesn't automaticly mean that a revealing outfit disqualifies for being taken serious. But there is a difference between looking sexy and being obvious about your intents.

But yeah, back to topic.

Okay thanks for responding, I did misunderstand you around certain points so I apologize for that. I won't comment any further because I don't want to hijack this thread :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela