Is there still no world cup thread? (the sequel)

Tale

Huntelaar! 2-1 Oranje

What a stomach punch for El Tri.  Horrible, horrible way to go out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What a game, well done Netherlands :thumbsup:  Did you guys notice my guess for the score was 100 % correct.

Now Greece vs Costa Rica

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, adios.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Predictions:

Brazil over Chile

Colombia over Uruguay

Nigeria over France

Germany crushes Algeria

Netherlands over Mexico

Costa Rica over Greece

Argentina over Switzerland

USA annihilates Belgium. Convincingly.

3-0.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That last penalty was legit, but why oh why does Robben always have to take it to 11 with his dives? Can't the guy fall normally to the ground?

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That last penalty was legit, but why oh why does Robben always have to take it to 11 with his dives? Can't the guy fall normally to the ground?

I think he enjoys the falls more than actually playing the game. I can just imagine a voice inside his head going "wheeeeee!"

Oh well, they'll fail in the semifinals or finals anyway.

Wow, such support and patriotism for your country. I'm overwhelmed :ermm:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It wasn't a penalty, but that defender was braindead. You know he's going to dive, don't put your leg there.

Stepping on somebodys toe is a foul. Everytime and everywhere. And inside the box you get a penalty for that. It's that simple.

• Like 2

It wasn't a penalty, but that defender was braindead. You know he's going to dive, don't put your leg there.

That was a penalty regardless whether it was a dive or not.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Robben's theatrics probably grate more. Does look like a penalty and a stupid move. Glad it was Huntelaar to seal it, he seems less douchey than most of Holland's stars.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What got lost in all this -even before the penalty was called, was that Robben showed some crafty close quarters dribbling skills to put himself in the position to get fouled. That was absolutely world class.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

The penalty was correctly given. Yes, Robben went to the ground in a theatrical fashion, but he was quite clearly fouled.

There are quite a few people who have it in for Robben, and certainly based on his play throughout his career there is cause for displeasure at his whinging and diving. However, the last couple of years he's been a lot less prone to this sort of behaviour and he's really grown as a player. I think people should give him more credit. At the moment he is one of the best, if not the best, player in the tournament.

That being said... Boy, I was anxious watching this game. The orange team looked absolutely dreadful at the start. De Jong getting injured really put a dent in our defense, and the new defender that replaced Janmaat was horrid. No offense to him, but I hope this was his last game in the orange jersey. Things really turned around when the team started to play 4-3-3 and we got rid of the dead wood. It helped of course that Mexico had completely given up on trying to play football and their coach had his team go into ultra defensive mode the moment they were in the lead. Awful decision by the Mexican coach. And then Sneijder, of all people, scoring the equalizer, and Huntelaar who hadn't played even a minute previously scoring the winning goal. Love it.

Edited by JadedWolf
  • Like 3

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I love the Dutch and Sneijder's goal was awesome.

Sadly football's biggest cheating piece of crap does it again and will now pretend he won them the entire thing and he is the greatest. Just like in the Champions League. If only one day he'd crick his back doing those goldfish dives. 

(There was a clip and the Mexicans' fault / Robben's credit for getting to that position but human beings don't clip the end of their foot and then arc into a water sports dive through the air.)

So, Dutch airline KLM apparently pissed off world famous Mexican Gael Garcia Bernal by tweeting an "adios amigos" to the Mexican team. Yeah, I don't know who that is either, but he's threatened never to fly with KLM again. And apparently a lot of other Mexicans who are also sour losers with no sense of humour have been complaining about the tweet. After which KLM quickly removed the tweet.

Gutless move by KLM, the Dutch queen should promptly take the royal predicate away from the airline.

https://twitter.com/yoyen/status/483324954323472387/photo/1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.