You can hire some adventurers at inns. Which are fully created by yourself, but with no banters, quests, or "souls". Or you can just go with some of the 8 companions with story/banters/quests written by Obsidian who can be recruited throughout the game. You have the choice. You can even mix the 2 things, with (as an example) 3 Obs companions and 2 adventurers you created. Still, the Obs companions won't notice your adventurers.

EDIT: you need to speak to inn owners, and then, an UI appear. You have the choice of the level of the adventurer up to the level of your character. The more experience the adventurer has, the more costly il will be to recruit him. I saw a video where it was 1000 cp per lvl, but Obs said the prices were not ok yet at this point (too expensive). Then, you go with regular character creation i guess. Once you've paid the gold and created your adventurer, you have the new party member.

Edited by Abel

If they done right and doing comments about the situation well enough I will try to play with 8 companions much as possible but I guess you gotto create some chars for the defence of the stronghold effitiently

*see what I did there? :p

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Alrigtht, so next question: Will you be able to stash companions in the stroghold, and switch your party up when you feel like it. This way you can still experience all of the quest lines the Obsidian Characters have to offer, plus create your own characters to use when you feel like. 

I realize this would create some level differences where you'd more than likely have to spend some extra time griding to make up for experience that your garrisoned companions will lose. 

I believe this is an option after watching the PAX East video, where you'll have Companions garrisoned in the Stronghold. 

Alrigtht, so next question: Will you be able to stash companions in the stroghold, and switch your party up when you feel like it. This way you can still experience all of the quest lines the Obsidian Characters have to offer, plus create your own characters to use when you feel like. 

I realize this would create some level differences where you'd more than likely have to spend some extra time griding to make up for experience that your garrisoned companions will lose. 

I believe this is an option after watching the PAX East video, where you'll have Companions garrisoned in the Stronghold. 

Ok I found it:

Adventures for idle companions – Companions, that are recruited but aren't in the party, will remain at your stronghold[6] and gain a fractional amount of experience.[7] While they are idling away at the stronghold, they can take part in their own adventures, earning additional experience for themselves and extra money, items and reputation bonuses for you. If a player uses the stronghold system to manage characters when they aren't in the party, they can have full XP parity if the player wants them to.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just found out there is no Cadegund, I was really looking forward to that character, why did they drop her? 

I don't think they've actually said. There's another priest now, Durance, who is also a Priest of Magran, and also sports an Arquebus, but seems based on what very little we know (a picture, really) to be considerably more unhinged and rough. He seems awesome, really, but I still miss Cadegund, even if she was never fleshed out to us either.

But in the end, we don't know.

I blame misogyny. Clearly.

t50aJUd.jpg

Cadegund was a really interesting concept, I was looking forward to playing with her too. Sad to learn she is not a companion anymore.

Any chance of a couple of hidden/unannounced companions? :woot:

Edited by SkySlam

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Cadegund was a really interesting concept, I was looking forward to playing with her too. Sad to learn she is not a companion anymore.

Any chance of a couple of hidden/unannounced companions? :woot:

Unless they've been insanely good at hiding them, to the point of absurdity... no.

t50aJUd.jpg

I think it's funny that people are disappointed that Cadegund didn't make it in. As far as I know the only things that we ever knew about her were that (a) she was a priest of Magran who wielded a gun and (b) she looked like her concept art. I suggest that those who are heartbroken make their pc a priest, pick one of the redhead portraits (or insert their own) and name her Cadegund.

• Like 2

I think it's funny that people are disappointed that Cadegund didn't make it in. As far as I know the only things that we ever knew about her were that (a) she was a priest of Magran who wielded a gun and (b) she looked like her concept art. I suggest that those who are heartbroken make their pc a priest, pick one of the redhead portraits (or insert their own) and name her Cadegund.

It's clearly a matter of personal taste, nothing else. Personally, I liked the idea of a female priest holding an arquebus. That is a companion I'd like to have in my party and interact with, as I'm curious to know more about her story and background.

I can't say the same about Durance, because I dislike his appearance, concept and voiceover. However, since he was written by Avellone, I will surely give him a try in my second playthrough.

Of course I could roleplay a female priest to replace Cadegund, but it wouldn't be the same. You know the difference between reading a good book and writing one yourself, right?

• Like 4

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Her and Orlan too, I mean really a "halfling psychic detective" what's not to love about that? Maybe I was projecting what I wanted too much into those two, so I think I'll be fine making my own Cadegund and Orlan. I do realize this happens a lot in game development, that things change a lot from the concepts and pitches to more finalized products. I just felt an instant liking to those two characters when I shouldn't have been getting so invested so early in the development process. 

So I just found out there is no Cadegund, I was really looking forward to that character, why did they drop her? 

I don't think they've actually said. There's another priest now, Durance, who is also a Priest of Magran, and also sports an Arquebus, but seems based on what very little we know (a picture, really) to be considerably more unhinged and rough. He seems awesome, really, but I still miss Cadegund, even if she was never fleshed out to us either.

Interesting. Durance is an actual word that means imprisonment. Forshadowing?

Really really want it possible to mod in companions that have banter/quests to fill out the missing class options.

It will be possible, just really difficult. Obsidian isn't making it hard to mod the game, in fact they have a partnership with Nexusmods. 

I'd expect some decently impressive mods in a year or so. 

Interesting. Durance is an actual word that means imprisonment. Forshadowing?

Probably a metaphor in some fashion, part of a psychological journey that is his personal sidestory.