Female gamers having a hard time in gaming communites

Let me just say that in the latest instalment of Tex Murphy: The Tesla Effect (Earth in year 2050), the jokes about NSA and where it got the world too abound! It's probably a more realistic prediction of the future than that in Almost Human.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It is most certainly interesting that the 'Codex, den of villainy and casual bigotry that it is has active women, gay and trans members.

Okay that does surprise me..are you sure about that?

Yap. One of codex modarators is female, another is gay. Saying you are a woman or trans on the codex, you will (maybe) receive some "offensive" comments, but most posters won't care.

Saying you like Mass Effect on the other hand...

It is most certainly interesting that the 'Codex, den of villainy and casual bigotry that it is has active women, gay and trans members.

Okay that does surprise me..are you sure about that?

Yap. One of codex modarators is female, another is gay. Saying you are a woman or trans on the codex, you will (maybe) receive some "offensive" comments, but most posters won't care.

or saying you is jewish. is some strange and vulgar antisemitism that exists at codex. probably get more offensive comments for being jewish than being a woman.  

also, keep in mind that codex, for whatever reason, prides itself on its anything goes mentality. the folks who post regular at codex know that they is fair game for anything and everything. point out that women or minorities post at codex is maybe not as meaningful as some would suggest. Gromnir is not nice, but we would never genuine suggest that the way to build a community that would encourage female posting is to embrace a Hobbes state o' nature and makes every thread resemble thunderdome. sure, is some women who likes such. heck, having spent so much time 'mongst the lgbt community o' the bay area, we can say that some folks wouldn't know what to do without conflict. that being said, use the handful o' women posters at codex as some kinda signification example relevant to present discussion might not be as meaningful as some intended.

and serious, the antisemitism thing is kinda disgusting.

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, one of the most prominant anti-semite, nazi posters at the 'Codex turned out to have PM:ed one of the transgendered people and wanted her(him?) to meet up with him and defacate on his chest, which ensued to hilarity and much, much butthurt. 

This is one of the reasons why i visit that place, the entertainment level so ridicolous. Such a thing would've never been possible here.

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

yeah, maybe not so funny to many folks. we received some pm's from codexians that involved images o' being urinated on and defecated 'pon. must be a codexian theme. didn't strike us as amusing so much as kinda foul. such stuff wouldn't drive us away, but am almost disappointed in our self for being too tolerant regarding such. is also another example o' how codex might not be best example o' how to gets more female posters... 'least not emotionally stable female posters. 

furthermore, if codex had only one prominent antisemitic poster, that might be worth mentioning. "one of the most prominant anti-semite, nazi posters," kinda implies that there is more than one such... and indeed there is.  

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yup. Kinda hard to tell if they are edgy, doing it for the lulz, or are actually serious about that. 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

am gonna concede that a place like codex is useful. "anything goes" would be a much better motto than one they currently have posted at their site. regardless, a site where you is near certain you won't get censored is good for a couple reasons:

1) there exists a forum where controversial gaming issues may be discussed

and

2) if the nuts didn't have codex, they would be posting here (and elsewhere.) 

give the worst o' the worst a place to be comfortable and they won't bother normal folks most o' the time. also, the wort o' the worst isn't always wrong. just 'cause somebody is vulgar, obtuse, racist, etc, doesn't mean they is wrong 'bout gameplay balance or bio romances or whatever. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I really must drop by the codex some time to see what all the fuss is about. I've only been there once or twice to read reviews.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

if it weren't for the racism/antisemitism, the crude private messages, and the pervasive idolatry o' cain, codex would be... quaint.  

*shrug*

while we disagree with the notion of a Proper RPG, the fact that so many codexians believe they knows what makes the Proper RPG can lead to interesting debates.

HA! Good Fun!

Heh, you should have mentioned the Jewish moderator as well...

(For those who don't know, all three of them are also members here. They're just a lot less active.)

• Like 1

Yup. Kinda hard to tell if they are edgy, doing it for the lulz, or are actually serious about that. 

Serious people don't talk smack on internet forums. Its just online bravado fueled by the comfort of anonymity and the encouraging presence of equally frustrated individuals.

Its like my local gym, the members that are known to be criminals keep to themselves and are generally polite, and make an effort to appear like everyone else but at some point one develops a gut feeling that everything is not quite "alright" and that its best to stay away from them. The type that go around venting, dropping the weights, staring at people and in general behaving like apes turn out to be just that, mostly nobodies with no life outside the gym.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I've been gaming for fifteen years and I've yet to be a part of a gaming community, let alone one with females in it. Maybe someone can show me where to join?

rpg codex

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just for curiosity, how many womens posted in this thread?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Does that include dudes who feel like they're a woman inside?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Does that include dudes who feel like they're a woman inside?

Nothing wrong with that, its good to be in touch with your more feminine side as a man

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce thinks the answer to issues of social justice is to order people to do stuff and lock them up if they don't. He's the Social Justice Commissar.

Yes to a certain degree that's correct. Its the same as the laws in your country and mine that prosecute people for racist comments or comments about rape using mediums like Twitter. So you should take this issue up with the UK  justice department? Let me know what they say :biggrin:

Locking people up for being mean on the internet is completely insane.  I am so glad I live in America.  We might not get everything right.  And we certainly get a lot of stuff wrong.  But the UK approach to free speech is horrific. 

Edited by decado
  • Like 2

I think we are all aware of your distaste for freedom Bruce.

No, no, no that's completely wrong. I believe in freedom absolutely but not if that freedom means it offends or hurts someone else

That's not something that, as the offending party...or even necessarily the offended party...can control.

it is fascinating to see how folks raised elsewhere sees different. in the US we view as kinda obvious that the speech that is most needing protection is speech that is likely to offend somebody. nevertheless, elsewhere, it is seen as equal obvious that hurtful or hateful speech is not worthy of govt. protection. we has actual written articles on this subject. 

HA! Good Fun!

You may have written articles on it but this post is a gross oversimplification AND misinterpretation of what is going on. Americans always say their most important amendment is free speech, but they're really not because they confuse their freedom to offend with their freedom to abuse. Soliciting sex is not "freedom of speech" and sending **** pics certainly isn't.

EDIT: This post rubbed me the wrong way and I edited out some choice comments about how dumb American law is that I added just to piss off the lawyer. My apologies.

You clearly don't understand "Free Speech." Or Americans' view on it.

That's possible, but I do understand that as a European, the only time I ever hear about Americans defending free speech it's the KKK claiming they have a right to march, or the Westboro Baptist Church championing their right to picket funerals.

At the same time, the only time I ever hear Americans (keep in mind, through the filter of European media) criticizing free speech it's when it actually matters, like Snowden or Wiki Leaks where the government lies to your faces and prosecutes those who tell the truth.

I read a hilarious article once by American comedy writer Daniel O'Brien where he describes how he had to scrap major parts of a satiricial book on "How to Fight Presidents" about how to beat Abraham Lincoln and such in bareknuckle boxing matches should you ever have to do so, because he fell under investigation by the FBI.

I may not understand how Americans really see it, but I do understand how their policies on free speech translates to European countries as being a complete scam. Not saying it is, but through all the exposure I have on the subject it looks like that. Obviously I can't have a complete picture, not being American and very rarely speaking to Americans on the subject, but it doesn't look like Americans care half as much about it as they pretend.

I mean, I don't think the UK ever came close to passing a Patriot Act.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 3