Female gamers having a hard time in gaming communites

I think we are all aware of your distaste for freedom Bruce.

No, no, no that's completely wrong. I believe in freedom absolutely but not if that freedom means it offends or hurts someone else

That's not something that, as the offending party...or even necessarily the offended party...can control.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Okay so in the USA you don't prosecute for words. That's fine I understand that. Many Western countries can and do charge people for derogatory and offensive comments. The point being I support these types of legal prosecutions

So you're okay with the state tossing people into jail for hurting people's feelings ?

To be honest I don't think anyone has actually been jailed in South Africa for offensive comments but people have definitely been fired. We do take it seriously but funny enough the UK has prosecuted more people with real jail time. I think the consideration around jail time depends on what you say?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is some expert trolling.

"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell trolls; It trolls for thee."

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So the only way freedom is acceptable is if they don't do anything you disagree with? Afraid that isn't freedom.

This is some expert trolling.

Are you trolling KP? I'm not going to get into a debate if you are trolling?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No, no, no that's completely wrong. I believe in freedom absolutely but not if that freedom means it offends or hurts someone else

That's not something that, as the offending party...or even necessarily the offended party...can control.

it is fascinating to see how folks raised elsewhere sees different. in the US we view as kinda obvious that the speech that is most needing protection is speech that is likely to offend somebody. nevertheless, elsewhere, it is seen as equal obvious that hurtful or hateful speech is not worthy of govt. protection. we has actual written articles on this subject. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm afraid disagreeing with your authoritarian leanings isn't trolling Bruce.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'll respond with the following disclaimer:  I am not a typical female gamer on many levels.  I've been tossed from the Ladies Club on more than one occasion for not 'toeing the party line', and I'm married with a grown child.

Indira brought up a good point a few pages back.  In the PoE section of the forum, a great deal of the discussion is centered around game mechanics.  I know little about them, so I tend to just read those sections for the most part.  It's interesting to learn more about them, but they'll never be a subject of great interest for me. 

This section of the forum is populated mostly with members who have been here for many years.  From an outsiders point of view, you appear very much like a family, including the typical family squabbles.  I'm pretty shy, so posting in this section feels like I'm interfering in someone else's family.  :)

As far as females/males being given special accommodations, as a general rule, I think that's wrong.  Of course, there will always be exceptions to every rule.  :)

I don't play MMO's, MP type of games so I've never been subjected to that kind of behavior in a forum.   I haven't been as lucky in real life, though.  :(

Just my 2 cents so you can return to your 'freedom of speech' discussion.  (Where the heck are the other females?)

• Like 11

Well at least these pages have been kept out of the Random News thread, little victories.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'll respond with the following disclaimer:  I am not a typical female gamer on many levels.  I've been tossed from the Ladies Club on more than one occasion for not 'toeing the party line', and I'm married with a grown child.

Indira brought up a good point a few pages back.  In the PoE section of the forum, a great deal of the discussion is centered around game mechanics.  I know little about them, so I tend to just read those sections for the most part.  It's interesting to learn more about them, but they'll never be a subject of great interest for me. 

This section of the forum is populated mostly with members who have been here for many years.  From an outsiders point of view, you appear very much like a family, including the typical family squabbles.  I'm pretty shy, so posting in this section feels like I'm interfering in someone else's family.  :)

As far as females/males being given special accommodations, as a general rule, I think that's wrong.  Of course, there will always be exceptions to every rule.   :)

I don't play MMO's, MP type of games so I've never been subjected to that kind of behavior in a forum.   I haven't been as lucky in real life, though.  :(

Just my 2 cents so you can return to your 'freedom of speech' discussion.  (Where the heck are the other females?)

Hi Squeakymeister "waves"

I like you and your perspective on most topics ( except when you don't agree with me on Romance ;) ). I find you have a certain reasonableness to your opinion and you don't get emotional or rather you don't make personal attacks on people which are admirable qualities. I find most of my lady friends in RL have the same calmness to there opinions which helps to balance my more frenetic nature, that is why I wish there were more lady members active on these forums. I'm glad you noticed that as well :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

I thought Indira was a dude...

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought Indira was a dude...

Indira is a guy?

John Milton 

it is fascinating to see how folks raised elsewhere sees different. in the US we view as kinda obvious that the speech that is most needing protection is speech that is likely to offend somebody. nevertheless, elsewhere, it is seen as equal obvious that hurtful or hateful speech is not worthy of govt. protection. we has actual written articles on this subject. 

HA! Good Fun!

You may have written articles on it but this post is a gross oversimplification AND misinterpretation of what is going on. Americans always say their most important amendment is free speech, but they're really not because they confuse their freedom to offend with their freedom to abuse. Soliciting sex is not "freedom of speech" and sending **** pics certainly isn't.

EDIT: This post rubbed me the wrong way and I edited out some choice comments about how dumb American law is that I added just to piss off the lawyer. My apologies.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Indira is a woman. And a pretty hardcore gamer too.

Okay sorry, I didn't realize that.

John Milton 

HA! Good Fun!

You may have written articles on it but this post is a gross oversimplification AND misinterpretation of what is going on. Americans always say their most important amendment is free speech, but they're really not because they confuse their freedom to offend with their freedom to abuse.

EDIT: This post rubbed me the wrong way and I edited out some choice comments about how dumb American law is that I added just to piss off the lawyer. My apologies.

well hyperbole aside, we thinks your post is helpful as it does show how  folks from places other than USA view freedom o' speech different. as we said earlier. it is fascinating.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

HA! Good Fun!

You may have written articles on it but this post is a gross oversimplification AND misinterpretation of what is going on. Americans always say their most important amendment is free speech, but they're really not because they confuse their freedom to offend with their freedom to abuse.

Well, the gross oversimplification of your post rubs me the wrong way.  

Certainly there are a great many Americans who take advantage of the remarkable free speech situation here, and pass over into the realm of abuse.  But to generalize about all Americans from the data of a notorious minority is just silly.  I think most Americans probably do honestly believe that the First Amendment guaranteeing free speech is the most important, for reasons other than allowing arseholes to spew racist trash that might well be considered abuse.  That's a side consequence of believing that people ought to be able to say what they want without fearing the heavy hand of an intrusive government.

• Like 1

Ahem - click on my profile and read this post of mine a few pages back...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66172-female-gamers-having-a-hard-time-in-gaming-communites/?p=1447263

8)

I still don't get it. So you are male? I wonder why MC said female. I was under the impression you guys voicechat during CoH games.

If the tradeoff for being able to speak my mind freely without fear of government reprisal is enabling a minority of dumbasses to spew ****, then I'm happy to take that. Some people just need to grow thicker skin and understand creepy **** exist.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66172-female-gamers-having-a-hard-time-in-gaming-communites/?p=1447263

8)

That's what I thought, you have raised the fact you are male before. I should have known not to believe Monte :biggrin:

• Like 1

John Milton 

8)

I do apologise if I have used the wrong title Indira but your profile page includes no gender information as far as I can see, then again the title is the only thing that will change in how I treat you so it is a moot issue one supposes.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I thought Indira was female too. *shrug* It doesn't help that one of the worst pop singers in Serbia is called Indira xD

But, that just reveals the pointlessness of gender over the internet for regular folks. It doesn't exist until someone starts throwing a fit.

Once upon a time I did get harassed in a chat room for having a somewhat feminine nickname... but it was all ridiculous. In any case I tend to stick to either male or neutral nicks now.

• Like 6

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

HA! Good Fun!

Well, the gross oversimplification of your post rubs me the wrong way.  

Certainly there are a great many Americans who take advantage of the remarkable free speech situation here, and pass over into the realm of abuse.  But to generalize about all Americans from the data of a notorious minority is just silly.  I think most Americans probably do honestly believe that the First Amendment guaranteeing free speech is the most important, for reasons other than allowing arseholes to spew racist trash that might well be considered abuse.  That's a side consequence of believing that people ought to be able to say what they want without fearing the heavy hand of an intrusive government.

I apologize, I spoke (typed?) out of anger and did not mean to offend you. Obviously it was a generalisation, but I do have a point - I have never seen anything out of America (keeping in mind that as a European, almost my entire exposure is through the media) that "defended" free speech for anything other than abuse. In fact, the only times I've heard about it in any other context is when people argued against it during the whole Snowden debacle.

8)

I still don't get it. So you are male? I wonder why MC said female. I was under the impression you guys voicechat during CoH games.

does it matter? we likes to picture all of you naked... but naked and looking like monica bellucci, grace kelly, bettie page, etc. is amazing how much more interesting reading a vol posts is as long as we can hold onto such images. 

one o' the positives o' the internet is that it frequent don't matter if you is rich, poor, ugly, beautiful or... whatever. say something worthwhile and people will listen.  am not saying that is always the case, but it is nice that we can post and not have to get special treatment just 'cause we is beautiful-- our stunning good looks being a bit of a curse.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

Brace yourselves, my friends! Here I am in all my tired glory in a Medieval restaurant with my daughter. This is all from a post on this very forum, in the Community Photo Sharing threads... :)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63671-community-photo-sharing-thread/?p=1360817

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***