Female gamers having a hard time in gaming communites

Well, first we need to see if this is anything notable.  How many women would post here more often and how many that do.  Latter is easy, former is not. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We need to know our known unknowns and our unknown unknowns.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I divide the world into two groups:

1. ****

2. Not an ****

I don't much give a toss about anything else, TBH. 

am feeling the same... although we probable fall into the **** category. the thing is, Gromnir treats everybody equal bad. oddly enough, this endeared us to many o' the female posters at old interplay boards. we don't like lack o' fairness, so maybe that strikes some kinda resonating chord. dunno. regardless, am thinking most women ain't as frail as they is frequent portrayed. treat with same respect/disrespect as male counterparts, and female gamers/posters respond positively... for the most part.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir have you not noticed there are very few females members active on these forums? Am I the only one who is concerned by this and wonders why?

Can you determine why they aren't active though?

Is the forum (or its posters) uninviting or are women uninterested in posting?

Those are  the most relevant questions to the topic and I am not sure of  the answers, it could be either but is probably a combination. Either way I don't think its a fantastic indictment. What do you think?

But I'm also not sure what you could do to change it, these forums are open to all and have an active policy of not allowing discrimination so what could we realistically do differently to get female members more active?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My first WoW character was a female orc and during a year or two I got hit on once. I didn't respond and he left me alone. So no, I really don't understand how hard women have it in gaming.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Gromnir have you not noticed there are very few females members active on these forums? Am I the only one who is concerned by this and wonders why?

Have Obsidian's games really been geared toward what female gamers tend to like in games?  I don't really know that they are.

You have to keep in mind that a developer's forum will usually be filled with gamers who play that developer's games.  As a general point, you're not going to find Halo fans or Grand Theft Auto fans posting on here about those games.  Other than the rarest of exceptions, the people you'll find posting regularly on here are those who are fans of Obsidian games.

Which goes back to my original question.  Of the games Obsidian has made, which appeals to a wide audience of females?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Which goes back to my original question.  Of the games Obsidian has made, which appeals to a wide audience of females?

NWN2 is definitely a contender in my book - especially the roleplaying servers. But honestly, I think a lot of the Obsidian games because of their focus on story are just as appealing to women as to men. Sadly, I couldn't get my girlfriend (who is an avid player of computer games) into the BG games. I did try but she felt the gameplay was boring and the character abilities for rogues (her favourite class in RPG games) were too limited. :(

I don't think these boards are really representative of the Obsidian fanbase anyway. I know a lot of people who have played Obsidian games and who have never even so much as glanced at these boards.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

The NWN2 forums had a slightly higher percentage of female players than what we see here (at least in the open, as it were), and those forums were rather more civil, quite frankly. The trend is degeneration in that department, just like in our societies overall, world-wide even. There were also a few female moderators and also a few female modders (which, among other things - dare I say it - tried their hands at pretty impressive romance mods of NWN2 vanilla and MotB). And when Storm of Zehir came out, we had one of Obsidian's female writers frequent our boards at times. In the '80s and early '90s, I participated in a few PnP-gamecons over weekends, and there female participants constituted about 5-10% of all the players. However, male players tend to be more bogged down with mechanics and rules and world lore. Why I don't know, but it could explain why these forums have so few female players. They prefer not to squabble over game minutiae. Instead, they just want to get on with the role-playing.  :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

So whose skirt are we gonna peer under first?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I want to request a group for normal males that don't talk about "feelings", "sensitivities", "gay rights", "special treatment for women or gays in video gaming" and all that post-modern ridiculous meaningless tiresome bull ****. I just want to play with people that aren't compelled to repeat this **** all the time like a mantra. Can that StarCitizen or whatever it is make a group for people like me or are they just another bunch of aggressive gays and feminists that place gays and women above hetero men?

I just want a place to relax and chat without being constantly ambushed and harassed by feminists and gay rights activists. Can they do that? I bet they can't.

The West is so decaying...

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I don't think Star Citizen is going to be about that but you really should drop by Bioware forums and tell them how you feel  :biggrin:

• Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Another thread bashing women and calling them weak babies who need their hand held and need to be taken care of. DISGUSTING women hating.

I'm of the belief that a woman can take care of herself and doesn't need a hero to defend her 'honour'.

That's sick, twisted caveman crap.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I want to request a group for normal males that don't talk about "feelings", "sensitivities", "gay rights", "special treatment for women or gays in video gaming" and all that post-modern ridiculous meaningless tiresome bull ****. I just want to play with people that aren't compelled to repeat this **** all the time like a mantra. Can that StarCitizen or whatever it is make a group for people like me or are they just another bunch of aggressive gays and feminists that place gays and women above hetero men?

I just want a place to relax and chat without being constantly ambushed and harassed by feminists and gay rights activists. Can they do that? I bet they can't.

The West is so decaying...

Heh, ambushed by feminists and gay rights activists.  :p

You really are my favorite troll Bester.  I've missed you.

• Like 1

The recent boob armour discussion is a good example. Mihura posted she didn't like boob armour. (I'm assuming she's a girl). Also, I noticed that it was the guys who wanted boob scale armour or didn't have a problem with it. Yet, when a female posts her dislike for it, there's immediate disagreement from the guys. Even so far as someone pointing out Mihura's forum avatar. So it went from disagreement of boob armour to pointing out forums avatars? Then science and animals was introduced and Mihura pointed out 'Let's not go there'. Eventually, it appears Mihura has decided not to waste any more time and leave. I can see why some females may not be interested in posting on these forums. It's just not worth it. I'm not defending or white knighting. It's just an observation I noticed in that thread.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 2

do we?  

*shrug*

if obsidian makes more popular games, you will see more posters... and some percentage will be female. if the obsidian developers does more to cater to women players and posters, then we suspect we will see some increase in the aforementioned percentage. gaider and the biowarians clear made efforts to cater to female audience. he and other biowarians spent time at the ladies o' neverwinter site, for example. dave went to the women and asked for feedback from them. is effort. can't see chrisA doing that. regardless, this is an obsidian board. obsidian has made some crap games recently. they also made south park, which don't have a strong female demographic. is an obsidian problem to fix... if they see as a problem.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The recent boob armour discussion is a good example. Mihura posted she didn't like boob armour. (I'm assuming she's a girl). Also, I noticed that it was the guys who wanted boob scale armour or didn't have a problem with it. Yet, when a female posts her dislike for it, there's immediate disagreement from the guys. Even so far as someone pointing out Mihura's forum avatar. So it went from disagreement of boob armour to pointing out forums avatars? Then science and animals was introduced and Mihura pointed out 'Let's not go there'. Eventually, it appears Mihura has decided not to waste any more time and leave. I can see why some females may not be interested in posting on these forums. It's just not worth it. I'm not defending or white knighting. It's just an observation I noticed in that thread.

Many of the extended discussions here are not of high value and result in contentious behavior. It may have less to do with sexism per se and more about just general priggish human nature.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

"The recent boob armour discussion is a good example. Mihura posted she didn't like boob armour. (I'm assuming she's a girl). Also, I noticed that it was the guys who wanted boob scale armour or didn't have a problem with it. Yet, when a female posts her dislike for it, there's immediate disagreement from the guys."

Wait a sec.

Someone posts an OPINION.

People who disagree with said OPINION post their opinion.

WTH is wrong with that?

\Isn't that what internet forums are/should be about?

OMFG

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Disagreement on a forum is micro-aggression, Volo.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

NWN2 is definitely a contender in my book - especially the roleplaying servers. But honestly, I think a lot of the Obsidian games because of their focus on story are just as appealing to women as to men. Sadly, I couldn't get my girlfriend (who is an avid player of computer games) into the BG games. I did try but she felt the gameplay was boring and the character abilities for rogues (her favourite class in RPG games) were too limited. :(

I don't think these boards are really representative of the Obsidian fanbase anyway. I know a lot of people who have played Obsidian games and who have never even so much as glanced at these boards.

Speaking of NWN2, could a reason those female gamers who play that never post here be as a result of those forums being linked off-site?  Similarly, the FO:NV forums aren't on this site, either.  So if a female gamer is interested in chatting about those games, chances are they just go to those specific forums and won't venture into, for example, this general discussion forum.

I don't know.  I'm just speculating as to why there might not be many female gamers posting on here.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"The recent boob armour discussion is a good example. Mihura posted she didn't like boob armour. (I'm assuming she's a girl). Also, I noticed that it was the guys who wanted boob scale armour or didn't have a problem with it. Yet, when a female posts her dislike for it, there's immediate disagreement from the guys."

Wait a sec.

WTH is wrong with that?

OMFG

not anymore, you have to run it through political correction checker before posting so you dont hurt feelings of anyone

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Disagreement on a forum is micro-aggression, Volo.

But we all disagree all the time, heck sometimes we disagree just cause we are bored and no one takes to opposing argument.

On OP, I don't think that a female safe zone is the solution. Creating a girls only area is painting a target on your back, you're just making it easier for the arseholes to find you.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Wait a sec.

WTH is wrong with that?

OMFG

I was posting an opinion on why females may not feel welcome, uninvited or uninterested. There's plenty of forums where I look and think, not worth it. And don't post on those forums.

It has nothing to do with disagreeing with posters. If you're going to ridicule and take the discussion off topic and attack them, then I can understand why they might not feel welcome. You'll also note that it wasn't just a disagreement which I linked. It was also:

because some flatchested girls are having a hissy fit about big boobs showing

Where did this come from?

Oh that's right. It's okay to give your opinion regardless of personal attacks. Because it's an opinion and this is a discussion forum and we can all agree to disagree.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 3

just to state the obvious, but a females-only section for the women who is Not posting here is kinda a waste.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Am I the only individual who thought it was Ms Mihura whom was being a touch confrontational and impolite, I was in general supporting her position on de-emphasising the bust and yet got called stupid for my troubles, and the tone of her posts to other respondents was similarly rather abrupt. Then again I am old fashioned and courteous to a fault so may be more easily shocked.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Am I the only individual who thought it was Ms Mihura whom was being a touch confrontational and impolite, I was in general supporting her position on de-emphasising the bust and yet got called stupid for my troubles, and the tone of her posts to other respondents was similarly rather abrupt. Then again I am old fashioned and courteous to a fault so may be more easily shocked.

I only saw her being a touch confrontational and impolite at the end. But lets forget about the others who were also being a touch confrontational and impolite from the start.

I agree there was a lack of exemplary conduct on both sides Mr Protagonist, but it seems the young lady was equally willing to roll in the mire so to speak. If she had remained calm, polite and jovial then her point might have been conveyed more clearly, to my mind at least. Lashing out at those whom are supporting her position seems a little counter productive.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!