Portraits need to have lots of character. A face is by far the best omnipresent visual clue as to the persons character.

In fact, good portraits can get your imagination flowing and give you ideas of a character you would make.

So far I believe in this game we have:

pe-backer-portrait-combined.jpg

The problem with these is, they look too similar underneath skin color, teeth and size of nose. The shape and proportions of their face are almost identical. Other than that, they are not bad. (although they both look disgusting imo - wouldnt want to be one of these unless I was playing some willfully ignorant, loud, rude, chaotic heavy social drinker).

pe-backer-portrait02-509.jpg

This one has the same problem as the ones above - shape and major proportions of the head and face are similar. This one also looks more generic.

pe-godlike-portraits-580.jpg

This is good.

eder-100156048-orig.png

This looks way too similar to the first 2 in terms of proportions again.

5knj.jpg

Alright, but not impressive.

Edited by Sheikh

I'm unsure what exactly you're desirous of Sheikh, is it different skull shapes (Negroid or Mongoloid rather than Caucasoid) or more fantastical elements you are requesting?

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So you are upset a bunch of humanoid races with human type proportions and bodies have similar head proportions.... you know... like real humans????

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 5

I'm almost positive the first 3 portraits are example of the rewards from the $3,000 pledge tier. So your complaint there is in effect "I don't like how similar these people who gave a lot of money look." Or to be more charitable your complaint should be directed at the backers who sent the base pictures, not Obsidian.

Edited by illathid
  • Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Perhaps I'm blind as Mr Magoo, but those three lovely backer-based portraits are in fact surprisingly varied already. I can't wait to have them adorn PE in a few months. :) 

• Like 5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Leaving the rest of the topic aside, I hope all the portraits follow the same face and a bit of shoulders look/crop.

Hate it when one portrait is face zoomed in and the next is full body or whatever.

I do understand the wish to add in a little side boob when there's one to show, but IMO, consistency trumps. 

• Like 1

let's see. on the first 2, the blue guy has a wider nose, wider head, more pronounced cheekbones, uneven sized eyes, wider and shorter neck and a smaller forehead... so how exactly are they completelly identical?

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm unsure what exactly you're desirous of Sheikh, is it different skull shapes (Negroid or Mongoloid rather than Caucasoid) or more fantastical elements you are requesting?

Yep. Also cro-magnon esque broad skulls as well, which exist in the nordic countries. And then more circular/oval skulls as well.

1. Foreheads. Some people in real life have very receding foreheads. Like something completely different from the portraits obsidian have done so far.

2. Various grades of prognathism.

3. Location of various aspects of the face in relation to each other. E.g nose, eyes, mouth etc.

These 4 features are major in forming the face. There are probably other major features, but I am not going to try think up more atm. Major features change the overall shape of the face far more than minor features such as the shape of the lips, nose or eyes and brows, etc.

• Like 2

I don't know why, but I'm getting a weird vibe from such cranioscopic details and requests, and it's a stale whiff from bygone times, rife with craniology and phrenology. Still, I support you in your crusade for achieving as wide a cranial diversity as possible in a game with subhuman races and beyond, which up until now I thought was a given. Please proceed in your endeavours! :)

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

With that clarification I think you do have a point in terms of the fantastical species Sheikh, presumably they are not simply races of humanity like in other games because they have spent millions of years seperated from each other or never shared ancestry, thus extremely alien skull shapes might be warranted. Personally I think the Ooh Mama looks satisfactory in this regard, the Elf not so much.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So you are upset a bunch of humanoid races with human type proportions and bodies have similar head proportions.... you know... like real humans????

I am not certain he was aware that some of those are backer portraits, and overall just asking about in game portraits verity in terms of facial features.

Some people spend hours with facial gens in certain games (I usually click few times on random until its close enough to what I want). BG2 had more than few portrait packs so its not a big leap to what he ask about, me think.

Edited by Mor

Yep. Also cro-magnon esque broad skulls as well, which exist in the nordic countries. And then more circular/oval skulls as well.

1. Foreheads. Some people in real life have very receding foreheads. Like something completely different from the portraits obsidian have done so far.

2. Various grades of prognathism.

3. Location of various aspects of the face in relation to each other. E.g nose, eyes, mouth etc.

These 4 features are major in forming the face. There are probably other major features, but I am not going to try think up more atm. Major features change the overall shape of the face far more than minor features such as the shape of the lips, nose or eyes and brows, etc.

All of which would be wasted development time in an isometric game with low poly models. 

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif