RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

...but at least they made it clear from the start that its "Civ in space". Which would be fine if that didn't mean "Civ V in space"...

I'm going to get it, but its likely not going to be what I'd like it to be, so I'll get it when the price drops.

This. I put like 400-500 hours into Civ4, similar into 3, but I haven't broken the 20 hour mark in Civ V because the mechanics just aren't as enjoyable. It doesn't have the "just one more turn..." aspect its predecessor did.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The most impressive Doom 2 (!) mod I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOg0BhlIvyQ

Doom 2 came out in 1994.

Holy Funk!

Holy Jazz Fusion!  How is this even possible?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

Holy Jazz Fusion!  How is this even possible?

Quote from the mods homepage:

Its not straight from the Doom 2 engine from 1993, but instead a modified version of the original source code that brings OpenGL, mouse look and various other features to the game. Most mods these days run on these source ports which excel the engines feature set.

So not the doom 2 engine, but impressive feat nonetheless.

So, instead of cable between the PC and the TV, this now suggests getting two rigs so you can stream the game from one PC to another so you can play the games on a TV screen. I didn't see the sense in this when it was first announced, and I still don't. I must've missed something... the little print somewhere that says "This is why that's is a good idea!"

I wonder how the Steam Machines will eventually kick off, though. Some of the rigs look crazy powerful, but also crazy expensive (estimations up to 6000$).

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I understood that. I just don't see the practical sense in it. If one is going to play the games on TV, what is the computer running the game doing away from the TV?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I understood that. I just don't see the practical sense in it. If one is going to play the games on TV, what is the computer running the game doing away from the TV?

Let's say you have a desktop and you have a laptop.  Your desktop is powerful, but it's in your computer room/home office.  Your laptop isn't very powerful, but it is very portable.  You want to play a game on your couch in your living room on the TV.  Bringing the laptop over to the TV is a heck of a lot easier than bringing your desktop over to the TV.  Or, let's say that instead of a laptop, you have a HTPC always hooked up to your TV.  The HTPC is only powerful enough to play video at 1080p and could probably run a few older or less demanding games, but isn't going to run any recent AAA type titles.  You could, of course, lug the desktop into the living room and hook it up to the TV, but wouldn't it be a lot easier to stream to the HTPC?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My sole experience with streaming games was over that game something service and it sucked. The control lag was noticeable and made the FPS I was playing barely playable.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

My sole experience with streaming games was over that game something service and it sucked. The control lag was noticeable and made the FPS I was playing barely playable.

Streaming over the internet has a lot more potential for lag than streaming over a home network.  I'm among the many who don't actually need this, but I think I'll give it a go on my laptop just to see how well it works.

I'd question how many people that would be useful for full stop. Maybe if you have an enormous house, but then if you have an enormous house it would probably still be cheaper to just buy another TV and put it in the computer room. Otherwise... if you have a gaming laptop as increasing numbers do you can carry it around, if you don't then you need to be sufficiently worried about gaming on your TV, not have direct access to it with your computer and not have any other, cheaper alternatives like an HD cable. Mind you, I really cannot see the point in steamboxes in general since they're basically a not particularly cheap way to play 10% of the games on steam. Apart from the streaming. Which I don't think would be very useful either.

And in other news, Zenimax proceeds with their suing (warning, pdf w/ legalese) of Oculus Rift. Sounds fairly convincing, but then again all filings in legal cases sound convincing, that's what they're designed to be.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

I have a HTPC connected to a plasma, this makes a hell of a lot of sense when you have a HTPC. It plays some games, but it's Haswell i3 integrated GPU, it's a fanless build. If I want to play a local co-op game or let someone play games, I'd rather they do it on the TV with plenty of seating than at my desk. It's not feasible for me to connect my PC to my TV unless I start creating many holes and getting HDMI to cat6/cat5e adapters. Then what about the input? I can't go around moving my PC all the time, thing weighs a tonne and is well connected.

"Gaming" laptops make a lot less sense than streaming.

• Like 1

Nexus 2, or "Shallow Space" just got put up on Greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=262219793

Oh yeah, I loved first game, got stuck in some mission where I was unnable to penetrate some station shield even with full set of anti-shield rockets

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

That mission took me forever as I lost all but one of the ships to crack it.  Still remember the out of place "Achilles hammers at your gates" quote by one of the NPCs.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Never mind Unreal Tournament 4, Epic just released a game that shows off the full power of Unreal Engine 4:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

They could certainly have done worse than to rip off the Arkham combat system, it worked beautifully for Sleeping Dogs.  Which reminds me, I need to play that game again.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸