Sochi 2014

obyknven

Huh?

Jamie Alexander made a public comment about the Olympic dating pool.

But there are entire websites based on the.... adventures.... of the athletes.

I think Cracked referenced it here (#5)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19733_5-things-they-dont-want-you-to-know-about-olympics.html

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I missed the game. Why oh why do they have to play these games in the middle of the afternoon while you are at work? :(

//EDIT: Oh well, atleast the USA-CZE and CAN-LET are about to start now.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have always maintained for years, since he was originally with Buffalo: Ted Nolan is one of the best coaches of all time for getting the most out of his players - even if they lack any real talent. If I was Charles Wang, I would have fired Garth Snow, then unfired Ted. Buffalo had 10 points after 20 games when they fired everybody and brought in Pat & Ted. I mean, John Scott has already doubled his total goal total! 

This is nuts.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Back at home, Kamil Stoch is the victim of politics. One particularly psychotic politician (VP of the largest opposition party) used the roundel on his awesome helmet to push his insane conspiracy theories about the Smoleńsk catastrophe.

What bull****.

Damn it, Latvia couldn't hold out. :(

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And, the King does it again!

Kanada nearly gets thrown in the trash, and Russia actually does!

And, the Russian coach proves how much of a giant idiotic dirtbag moran he is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

And, the King does it again!

Kanada nearly gets thrown in the trash, and Russia actually does!

And, the Russian coach proves how much of a giant idiotic dirtbag moran he is.

Shame Volo, you and Malc must be really disappointed with how well Canada is doing. Well the good news is maybe they will get beaten by the USA so you can start cheering soon

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is it just me or has professional athletes in Olympic sports (hockey) kind of taken some of the joy out of it? During the USA/Russia game everyone wanted to hearken back to the 1980 Miracle on Ice game. But it really doesn't fly because neither team were amateurs and 16 of the players on the ice here in the NHL. Same thing with USA Canada, wouldn't that be a little more exciting if these guys didn't all know each other and we had never seen them play each other before?   

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Miracle on Ice may have more to do with how lopsided the game was expected to be, given that only one of the teams was really "amateur." The Cold War probably also played a part (like it did for us with the Summit Series).

Canada was pretty damned excited the two times it won gold medals lately, with ridiculous turnout in Vancouver's public spaces around the coliseum to take in the final game.

I'm a fan of the professional players in the Olympics.  We have so many countries with NHL talent that I still think it can be a very exciting tourney.  Plus every Olympics you get a team of minor leaguers who manage to play as a team and give a bigger team a run for their money.

• Like 1

"Is it just me or has professional athletes in Olympic sports (hockey) kind of taken some of the joy out of it? During the USA/Russia game everyone wanted to hearken back to the 1980 Miracle on Ice game. But it really doesn't fly because neither team were amateurs and 16 of the players on the ice here in the NHL. Same thing with USA Canada, wouldn't that be a little more exciting if these guys didn't all know each other and we had never seen them play each other before?   "

Olympics should be about the world's best athletes competing for supremacy. If they happen to be 'professionals' so be it.

I don't want to watch loser no names and their crappy brand of 'hockey'.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That was a pretty good choke job by the US women, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I dunno, to be 2-0 up and then blow it seems like choking. 

They missed a shot at the open net by an inch, that's not losing to the better team.

Sure it is. I think it does a disservice to the USA women's hockey team to claim that they lost it. There's two teams that play and like most highly competitive sports, its a game of inches. They got that opportunity because of some good fortune from the official as well. Good and bad breaks happen in competition, and Canada was able to capitalize.

Sure it is. I think it does a disservice to the USA women's hockey team to claim that they lost it. There's two teams that play and like most highly competitive sports, its a game of inches. They got that opportunity because of some good fortune from the official as well. Good and bad breaks happen in competition, and Canada was able to capitalize.

Nah, Canada played like ****, they just got lucky.  It's not figure skating or ice dancing where you win medals because you've paid the judges to ignore the number of times you've fallen on your ass.