Your favourite game cutscenes/FMVs

Agiel

Youtube is currently blocked where I am now, but if I am correct, you must be linking to the one of the most memorable gaming cut-scenes ever created, featuring Sephiroth and Aerith. For me it was shock, because that lady was really among my favourite characters in FF7... Not again I was able to be affected so much by a single plot-twist in an entertainment media...

2nd closest was the ending of FFX. I must confess it was partially expected, but it made me so sad, that it brought tears to my eyes...

To bad not many games nor movies in last few years can make such a deep emotional impact...

Yea, it was. FFX's story and cutscene's were also really good. My only beef with it, was it was in the annoying period of JRPGs with the whole kid trying to find a parent as the storyline. Dark Cloud 2's was really annoying with him trying to find his mother. Still didn't stop me from loving everything else about the game though.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Not exactly a cutscene, rather a teaser/trailer-thingie. It's from Witcher 2, a game I've tried to get into, but I couldn't. This, however, is pure genius:

It is a cutscene in the game, they changed the intro cinematic to that with enhanced edition patch.

Heh, brings back memories.

I tend to prefer in-game cutscenes (even if they sometimes tend to substract from the interactivity aspect...), but some pre-rendered are still pretty cool. After digging through YT for a bit, I've come to the conclusion that it's more a combination of pacing, music and voice acting that makes a cutscene stick to my memory than the graphics themselves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvBwqSRZc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAPSs5XrSQ

Honorable mention to BG2 ending clip.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well.

First off, I think I'd choose the ending cinematic to Snatcher. While originally released in Japan 1988, today's most famous version is the one for the SEGA CD (adding voice acting). Ironically, Snatcher is a very "cinematic" adventure game - while many attribute the failure of the SEGA CD to the over-emphasis on cinematics in the games released for it, Snatcher is one of the best 5 or 10 adventure games ever, while still being a perfectly viable target for being criticized as overly cinematic. It's based in an alternate future (remember the story was written in 1988) where it it took much longer for the Soviet Union to fall apart, and well... I won't tell you the rest if you decide to play the game ;) I must warn about spoilers in the video below, however.

The ending sequence is about 30 minutes (which must be considered long with video game standards - something you can really call a cinematic sequence!) and I like to start you off here:

The naming of the Youtube videos is somewhat misleading, "Part 1" and "Part 5" don't really belong to the proper ending. Part 1 is really before the ending starts, while Part 5 is just cheese on top. If you like Blade Runner and adventure games, I really recommend Snatcher.

This is also a great cinematic, with a great soundtrack:

And here is another great intro cinematic sporting both excellent music, graphics and art direction (it's amazing how dark and eerie the Batman universe comes across), that has stuck with me for some reason:

Music and timing can really do a lot on its own. I think the full assembly of tools for creating cinematic sequences also consist of language, graphical and artistic direction (both of parts and taken as a whole), so it's a bit hard not to conflate with what you simply think is a great game with a great cinematic. Sacrifice is one of my favourite games but I have to say that even if you remove the components that more belong to the game than the cinematic in question (music, art style et.c.), this cinematic excels in language, voice acting and storytelling:

"What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed."

That is a truly iconic passage in my mind.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There are going to be some repetitions, but it's a small wonder given the genuine spark those works (of art?) have in them. Provided links in "prehistory" for your convenience but decided that the second part do not need that, aside for few non-direct exceptions.

Titles are ordered by US release date (more or less) because I didn't want to decide which game should be on top and which one should be at the bottom of the.

Hope you'll have as much fun reading, as I had writing it down ;)

Prehistory (Pegasus & Amiga500):

1. "Battletoads" and "Batman: Return of the Joker" - for making me pumped up and ready for action, also for being awesome.
  2. "Another World" (or "Out of This World") ending - for being first emotions (different than joy and frustration) evoking moment in my gaming experience (special treat here).
  3. "The Settlers" intro - for being the first "Woah! Mom look! How did they do that?!" game related thing ever, and for forcing me to reset Amiga few times in a row so I could watch it again and then inviting a friend for "rinse and repeat". Also because "sexy tree"*.
  4. "Cannon Fodder" intro - for making me remember about Richard Joseph.

History (PC):

1. "Fallout" (the first one) intro - for setting the tone so perfectly and providing loads of details about the game universe before I even realized it. Also because of goosebumps when Ron speaks the iconic phrase.
  2. "Fallout" (again) bad ending - for that "industrial camera" gimmick and because it's a fully fledged reward for those who find Master's plan appealing. Honorable mention goes to F2 tanker cutscene - just like some guy over YT said "never thought that a ship departure could feel so epic". Seriously, it beats nuking the rig by a mile! WTF?!
  3. "Half-life" - rather obvious one, so I'll spear you all the details. Still, it deserves to be remembered if only for Kelly Bailey and doing justice to "Underground Base" feeling. Also this  ;)
  4. "Thief: the Dark Project" intro, outro and cutscenes - for that "rough feeling", Eric Brosius haunting music and Stephen Russell narration.
  5. "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri" intro - because it sets the mood (no point in coming back) very well and gives you additional insight to the SMAC plot. Yes, a plot - rather unique thing for a Civ game even up to date I dare to say. Also all those wonderful voice-overs in Secret Projects clips and Datalinks pop-ups.
  6. "System Shock 2" intro - for very convincing (immershun!) "live feed" and "security cameras" effects, but also because it's music (again Brosius) and the god damn super nova sized spoiler that nonetheless caught me surprised and vulnerable when I got one menacing, foreshadowing email shortly before "the great twist".
  7. "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver" intro - mostly because of Kurt Harland's theme, fueling the out of this world feeling. Likewise great voice acting, and it's still looking good even by today's standards (though character animations are admittedly stiff). Also Tony Jay telling us we're worthy.
  8. "Homeworld" pretty much everything - intro, outro, cutscenes and scripted animations... seriously, the art style, Paul Ruskay's music, story, superb voice acting - it all comes together so well. Also because I'm sure I shed a tear when You Know What happened. Do I need to mention "Agnus Dei"?
  9. "Icewind Dale" and "Baldur's Gate II" intros - for superb narration by Henryk Talar and Piotr Fronczewski (a rare occurrence for me to like a dubbed version) and because I have a soft spot for that "old tome" gimmicks.

* inside joke / cultural-reference-of-sort for Polish users 

That line was used in a long dead Polish magazine SecretService back in March '94. Oh happy times...

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 2

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Bunch of great ones so far. I'm glad to see so many with taste with their appreciation of Homeworld  :biggrin:

http://youtu.be/FG9EEp5Oqj4

Looking back on this, it gives me vibes of Saturday morning 3D cartoons a la ReBoot and Beast Wars. Has a rocking track to it too.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

3. "Half-life" - rather obvious one, so I'll spear you all the details. Still, it deserves to be remembered if only for Kelly Bailey and doing justice to "Underground Base" feeling. Also this  ;)

That Freeman's Mind thing was fantastic.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ppwMnlIXA

The Audioslave song kind of comes out of nowhere in this game set in the late 80's

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My favorite was the Revan identity reveal cutscene in KOTOR. But then again I didn't see it coming so it had some good shock value.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

For some reason, I've always been impressed with the Fallout 2 tanker cutscene:

• Like 3

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

A vid from World in Conflict has already been posted but It's worth advertising some of the promo videos that were done for it and the expansion that never actually made it into the games for some reason.

Then there's the classic Shogun: TW Ninja fail videos.

Ahahaha I was going to put No Remorse but it was more memorable for the wrong reasons haha.

What's wrong with the No Remorse intro ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meanwhile, that reminds me of my least favorite FMV ending of all time:

All that work, for that? I have had no desire to touch anything that has to do with Diablo since that. I'll play and have fun with similar games like Torchlight and Dungeon Siege, but I won't touch Diablo.

Forgot about this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc6YKDuqZRU

Favourite piece of Klepacki's music.   And two reasons why they chose that actress for the newsreading :lol:

Favourite piece of Klepacki's music.   And two reasons why they chose that actress for the newsreading :lol:

Klepacki is awesome. But, as with everything, the Nod version is more better. (that was his actual band btw)

OT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhOvbfyyJw

"ingame footage" indeed.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.