What you did today

LadyCrimson

Also, I got some distressing family news yesterday evening.  Anybody have any tips on consoling/advising a family member who has just discovered (in the most direct way possible) spousal infidelity that had been going on for a year or so? 

1. Say it's not their fault.

2. Get them doing something practical. Repaint a room or mow the lawn.

3. It's up to you. I've known relationships bounce back from infidelity. But only when the guilty party volunteers a confession. In general I think once infidelity happens, you're borked. But I guess it depends on the people concerned.

4. If they're staying together my instinct would be to get on with it asap. Don't let the damage heal as a scar. If they aren't then talk to the lawyers. But I'm quite fanatical when it comes to affairs of the heart.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is why you should either live close to your parents or find a domestically inclined girl.

That would be too easy, where's the challenge? :devil:
I find I'm challenged enough in my professional life to want to keep my domestic one as simple as possible...
  • Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Coming down with a cold, I suspect, funny how I can stop thinking of how nice it was to not have an irritated throat or a cough.  Will skip off work early and catch some sleep at home. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Started feeling a cold coming on yesternight, woke up this morning with a blocked nose and sore throat. Coughed up a little bit of bloody phlegm and realized that it was the start of a annoying day. I hate colds. I'm going to go look for whiskey now.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Lots of studying for exams on thurday and friday and celebrating my birthday. :)

Happy birthday!

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My immune system kicks some serious butt, I feel much better already, headache, pain and fever is gone. Only half an our ago I felt like being mortally ill. :w00t:

This is the stage where most people get stupid ideas that send them reeling back into mortally ill - keep still for at least a day more so your body has a chance to recover.

Fortune favors the bald.

My immune system kicks some serious butt, I feel much better already, headache, pain and fever is gone. Only half an our ago I felt like being mortally ill. :w00t:

This is the stage where most people get stupid ideas that send them reeling back into mortally ill - keep still for at least a day more so your body has a chance to recover.

And thats exactly what happened, I felt good enough to leave the bed, walk a round and do some moderately exhausting stuff for a couple of hours. Now I have 39+ Celsius fever and I'm getting weird fever dreams. At one point I was half-awake I think and I was thinking that my body was a huge 600-ton mining excavator.

:blink:

Probably because I was watching some documentary about coal mining on discovery channel yesterday.....

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Yeah those fever hallucinations are crazy. Back in November I got pretty ill with the flu, for about a day I felt that a presence was watching over me and helping me. I felt I understood how religious people tick at that point.

Fortune favors the bald.

Imagine the huge impact hallucinations have on religious people that had near-death experiences and saw some weird things due to their head injuries.

There was this deeply religious female Austrian competition skier who had a pretty bad accident and fell into a coma, she saw all kinds of ''floating beings made of light'' and her dead relatives. People see what they want to see in such situations, and that always strengthens their beliefs. 

if you're not religious though you can sit back and enjoy some awesomely weird hallucinations. 

+edit*

Oh man, this doesn't help my fever dreams at all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Mordake     :blink:

Edited by Woldan

At one point I was half-awake I think and I was thinking that my body was a huge 600-ton mining excavator

Probably because I was watching some documentary about coal mining on discovery channel yesterday.....

Are you absolutely certain about this? I've seen pics of your arms. ;D

• Like 4

At one point I was half-awake I think and I was thinking that my body was a huge 600-ton mining excavator

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Or your awareness of how sick you are just went bits up.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

When the wind is blowing, the trees are rustling and rain is setting up that rhythmic pitter-patter it can be incredibly relaxing. That and if you're warm and snug in bed it just makes you want to go "feck it, I'm staying where I'm warm and comfortable."

Still, made it up to face the day, sorted out a few things, drinking tea, dealing with some communications, and pondering which branch of research to shake.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Today I got a free and FAST ride with the ambulance and got free bed & breakfast at the intensive care station in the hospital. The bad news is my face and neck looks like I lost in a ghetto knife fight. 

Today early in the morning my mother visited me because I'm sick, we had a conversation when she suddenly screamed at me. My first thought was ''WTF, why is she screaming at me all of a sudden?....and why the hell am I laying on the floor and bleeding from my nose? Turns out I just collapsed in the middle of the conversation and I did not remember it, she said I collapsed like a fell tree, hit the desk with my head and was laying on the ground staring at the ceiling not responding for 5 minutes. She even slapped me in the face and I was not responding. Total brain switch off. 

The same thing happened again when the rescue crew arrived, I just passed out for 4-5 minutes and I did not notice it. My blood pressure dropped down to 37 and they panicked and hastily readied adrenaline injections when I woke up again. 

At the hospital they said it was caused by a bad combination of dehydration, lack of nutrients in my blood and the stomach flu. Doc said my heart is super fine, just like the rest of my body. I'm just glad its not neurological and I didn't knock my teeth out. I released myself though, they wanted to keep me for a couple of days but the boredom was driving me insane. 

Stomach flu sucks on so many levels. :getlost:

Edited by Woldan

Today I got a free and FAST ride with the ambulance and got free bed & breakfast at the intensive care station in the hospital. The bad news is my face and neck looks like I lost in a ghetto knife fight. 

Today early in the morning my mother visited me because I'm sick, we had a conversation when she suddenly screamed at me. My first thought was ''WTF, why is she screaming at me all of a sudden?....and why the hell am I laying on the floor and bleeding from my nose? Turns out I just collapsed in the middle of the conversation and I did not remember it, she said I collapsed like a fell tree, hit the desk with my head and was laying on the ground staring at the ceiling not responding for 5 minutes. She even slapped me in the face and I was not responding. Total brain switch off. 

The same thing happened again when the rescue crew arrived, I just passed out for 4-5 minutes and I did not notice it. My blood pressure dropped down to 37 and they panicked and hastily readied adrenaline injections when I woke up again. 

At the hospital they said it was caused by a bad combination of dehydration, lack of nutrients in my blood and the stomach flu. Doc said my heart is super fine, just like the rest of my body. I'm just glad its not neurological and I didn't knock my teeth out. I released myself though, they wanted to keep me for a couple of days but the boredom was driving me insane. 

Holy Smoke Woldan, that's a hectic story, I'm glad you are alright :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm almost speechless. I'll just consider my earlier statement vindicated and wish you a better health... ;)

Meanwhile, I have either depression or desperation. Fffffff

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Thanks. That was an ugly reminder of how fragile human bodies are, very little interferences in that system can lead to a sudden breakdown. 
I didn't eat much because of severe stomach cramps and I spent the majority of the day sleeping, I really didn't drink enough water - and I'm a big guy. Got three electrolyte transfusions and now I'm good again.

Gonna have to force myself to eat and drink though.- :getlost:

:grin: 

Edited by Woldan

Or the rough depression of quiet desperation?

Hm, one of my friends seems to be having a hard time. She's been cycling through a relationship with her fiancée for about 16 years now, with several kids, but he apparently slides into that cold, distance, doesn't really bother being affectionate.. which over time drives her into quiet depression. She decides it's not healthy, and starts to split up with him, then he suddenly realises what he's doing and becomes ultra-affectionate and super-dad. So she decides for the sake of the kids it's better to try making it work. Then 2-3 years down the line it's the same thing over again.  And again.  And again. I can appreciate trying to make things work when kids are involved, but I can also say it's just not healthy for them to be caught in that sort of environment either. It's hard on just what sort of advice you can offer.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You know how I said to drink rehydration salts, and consider the possibility your feeling better was just your awareness breaking...

Never mind, I guess you learned the same way I did. Fevers are the reason I don't do drugs.

• Like 3

-Elwood Blues

You know how I said to drink rehydration salts, and consider the possibility your feeling better was just your awareness breaking...

Never mind, I guess you learned the same way I did. Fevers are the reason I don't do drugs.

I have to give you credit here Walsie, you did call it. Good comments earlier and accurate :)

John Milton