What you having for dinner tonight?

Gorth

Somewhat similar

• I look for a well marbled cut of meat and have the butcher slice it thinly (usually about a pound and half to 2 pounds per batch)
  • Marinate overnight (at least) to 2 days depending on thickness
  • Put in dehydrator for 4 to 10 hours depending on thickness

We tend to go for thinner jerky and my wife likes it nearly crispy but the fat helps make it more flavorful and juicy. I get requests for thicker cuts which take a lot longer but are obviously meatier

I do a few different marinade mixes

• my normal recipe
  • bourbon and brown sugar
  • hot and spicy

Interesting, very similar to Biltong

How long is the shelf life after you take it out the dryer? Do you ever get any mold on the Jerky, I have noticed that after 2-3 days I get a faint white powder on my meat and I'm not sure if this is normal  :skeptical:

I don't think you're supposed to get any bloom. But you're probably better off asking a  proper old Boer.

Yeah I'm going to chat to a Butcher tomorrow, its not a big deal but its still something I want to confirm

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Beef and celeriac soup with leek and parmesan.

Sweat all ingredients in chilli oil, add water, add pepper.

Come down with cold. Intended simple broth. As usual, got carried away.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I put sliced onion into the pan together with the pork, Mor, or even before if the pork chops are so lean as to warrant adding extra oil/fat to the pan. It's hard to overcook an onion, and they brown up so nicely given time.

I don't add the apple to the pan until the pork chop's at least half done. I've never over-fried apple slices to the point of the taste suffering, but overcooking can soften them into a sort of applesauce.

ShadySands' homemade beef jerky sounds potentially addictive, and Walshingham's soup sounds like a noble and worthy experiment in finding more varieties of soup to cure all ills.

• Like 1

I don't add the apple to the pan until the pork chop's at least half done. I've never over-fried apple slices to the point of the taste suffering, but overcooking can soften them into a sort of applesauce.

That the source of my confusion, I don't usually make pork chop's, so I didn't thought of apple slices as dressing, sound nice and can work with most fruits(certainly better then the full apple deal, of which I am not a fan). When we make pork, we stick to bigger portions and the oven. But for the most part I prefer lighter meals and in what I make for main apples doesn't fit really well, so they either ends in salad or once in a while when I am not vetoed as the bottom layer of cake. Edited by Mor

I've noticed the truth of something I knew already on scientific terms: being over-tired makes one hungry, and inclines one to over-eat without satiety.

EDIT:

Toast bacon in chilli, oil, and garlic. Remove bacon and eat. You deserve it. Keep the oil.

Add chunks of beef shin. Add spices of choice. I used cumin, turmeric, ground mace, cloves, fenugreek, all in generous quantities. Oil should be about 2-5 mm deep by end of browning shin. If too shallow add some more.

Add finely chopped red pepper, let go crispy and brown in the hot oil. Then let go soft and caramelised.

Add plenty of chopped fresh tomato. keep on a high heat until the tomato goes soft. Add some thyme and salt. Reduce heat to very low temperature, cover and let simmer for an hour. Serve with white rice.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've noticed the truth of something I knew already on scientific terms: being over-tired makes one hungry, and inclines one to over-eat without satiety.

Being tired just makes me slothful. Being bored and mentally inactive is what will make me munch all day long.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I usually go to a fancier shop to buy fish, but the plain ol' grocery store had some cuts of wild-caught Alaskan sockeye that looked good today.  Roasted that hot & fast with minimal seasoning.  Prepared some brussels sprouts in my usual way (half, sear, add minced garlic & beer, steam until fork-tender, finish with butter, salt, and pepper), but towards the end, I added a dice of some leftover baked potato I had in the fridge.  Nice. 

• Like 1

Tried some gurnard fillets fried in chilli and garlic. Ate them on sliced white bread. Hugely tasty.

Gurnard are supposed to be ugly. But I think they look quite nice. They are also sustainable.

pg16-fish-PA.jpeg

-Elwood Blues

I made pan seared bream (a type of freshwater fish) with red beans and rice. Only I went somewhere even less fancy that where Enoch got his: Cold Creek. It took longer to get them but you can't beat the price.

It was pretty good too.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sliced steak on fresh sourdough bread topped with lettuce and bacon. It was tender and delicious and cat approved.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tonight i am having.

Starter: Chicken Noodle Soup w/ bacon and cheese bread

Main : Chinese BBQ Beef w/ Rice

Dessert :  a Row of white chocolate and an iceblock!!

Washing it all down with some Appletiser.

Edited by BLnoT
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Tonight i am having.

I didn't think you got Appletiser outside South Africa, I assume its imported? I love Appletiser but I prefer Red Grapetiser, its so refreshing :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tonight i am having.

I didn't think you got Appletiser outside South Africa, I assume its imported? I love Appletiser but I prefer Red Grapetiser, its so refreshing :)

Appletiser is  very easy to get down here as are red/green Grapetisers. Both very enjoyable aswell.

The drink that is hardest to get is Dr Pepper.

Although we now have a err whats it called.. costco i think. Open up recently in one of our cities. I really disliked the store,

BUT Dr Pepper costs the same as a normal can of soft drink there!  Normally i would have to pay $1.80 per can.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

Tonight I'm having Pork Chops and Mash with my homemade honey barbeque sauce.

John Milton 

Picked up some fresh baked rye mix bread. So having that with butter and fresh pepper. Nothing more needed.

-Elwood Blues

Fried pork chops, cheddar grits, and steamed broccoli. 

The chops got docked (i.e., cut small notches in the non-bone side to prevent it from "cupping" up as heat is applied to the bottom) and seasoned heavily with garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, ground ancho, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Then dredged through flour, let to sit for 10 minutes (the salt will cause the flour to moisten with time), then dredged again.  Get about a quarter-inch-depth of oil hot in a pan, then fry them, 4+ minutes to a side, depending on thickness.  Pat dry, let rest a bit, and eat. 

Edited by Enoch

Picked up some fresh baked rye mix bread. So having that with butter and fresh pepper. Nothing more needed.

Fresh bread  :wowey: Its one of the only thing I don't buy in the supermarket, but stop in a bakery near by to get it when it still warm :wowey: and they also experiment with various additions!

Anyway, bread, load of butter and ontop roasted peppers(paper,oven,oil,garlic,wait) and load of salt. Its one of those childhood fancies of mine, that I just can't give up.

Am taking my wife for dinner somewhere. Haven't decided yet, although I rather fancy Indian food.

ahh its always nice to spice up your menu. Btw, we recently experiment with making sushi,and I warmly recommend it, its extremely fun to make and experiment with, its like giving a lego for a child for the first time. :w00t: Edited by Mor
  • Like 2

Fresh bread  :wowey: Its one of the only thing I don't buy in the supermarket, but stop in a bakery near by to get it when it still warm :wowey: and they also experiment with various additions!

Anyway, bread, load of butter and ontop roasted peppers(paper,oven,oil,garlic,wait) and load of salt. Its one of those childhood fancies of mine, that I just can't give up.

Am taking my wife for dinner somewhere. Haven't decided yet, although I rather fancy Indian food.

ahh its always nice to spice up your menu. Btw, we recently experiment with making sushi,and I warmly recommend it, its extremely fun to make and experiment with, its like giving a lego for a child for the first time. :w00t:

Mor the way you described that bread has made me hungry, it sounds delicious :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Had a little smoky back bacon to hand. Chopped that fine and fried it crispy in chilli oil.

In separate pan, cooked porridge oats, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. For short time, until just edibly soft.

Served bacon sprinkled on top.

For a recipe based on a hunch this is gakking delicious. :)

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues