What you having for dinner tonight?

Gorth

Had a little smoky back bacon to hand. Chopped that fine and fried it crispy in chilli oil.

In separate pan, cooked porridge oats, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. For short time, until just edibly soft.

Served bacon sprinkled on top.

For a recipe based on a hunch this is gakking delicious. :)

Okay that is unusual, bacon and oats. I may try it some time..but I associate oats as something healthy and bacon as more of a treat and junk food. But maybe I can eat it as more for a special meal  :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

Last night we tried a new sushi place down the road and it was fairly good

My wife ordered a bunch of special rolls but I kept it simple with toro sashimi and spicy tuna and spicy salmon rolls

I love Sushi, especially using a little wasabi to spice it up a little

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Spaghetti with a little sauce made of garlic, olive oil, chicken stock, and sweated slices of courgette with oregano and pepper. Going to crack and egg in at the last minute for a hit of protein to feel full for longer. 

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Walsi, you know your food ( also for once I know all the ingredients by name. unlike last time, when I had to punch it in Wikipedia before I realized what it was)

Thanks, man. I learned about food from my family, my brother, and living on a tight budget for a while. Learn your food. It's about more than just feeling full.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had Pork Chops with my homemade Barbeque sauce and a nice healthy salad instead of mash potatoes tonight. I enjoyed the salad, it was a good alternative.

John Milton 

Had a little smoky back bacon to hand. Chopped that fine and fried it crispy in chilli oil.

In separate pan, cooked porridge oats, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper. For short time, until just edibly soft.

Okay that is unusual, bacon and oats. I may try it some time..but I associate oats as something healthy and bacon as more of a treat and junk food. But maybe I can eat it as more for a special meal  :thumbsup:

I have found its often the unusual sounding recipes that are most enjoyable.

I will add to that by suggesting a Vegemite, cheese and apple sandwich ( I do think the taste may be catered more so to the Australian market as i hear alot of other countries arent too keen on vegemite )

If however you enjoy the taste of vegemite, 2 slices of thick bread ( fresh baked would be best ) some nice full butter, generous amounts of vegemite ( or as much as you can handle ) Cheese ( Block, i tend to just use tasty as im poor ). Last but not least Apple ( fresh and crispy ) 

Side note. Cut the cheese 3/4 the thickness of your apple slices. I find it gives the best texture of crunch / firmness of the Apple and cheese respectively.

It may seem  OCD for a simple sandwich, however im sure food enthusiasts  and fellow Chefs would agree Appearance and Texture play a vital part in any meal.

As for my dinner tonight. I had a;

Cup if instant chicken noodle soup

Tin of tuna ( Last of )

Row of white chocolate ( Last of )

Can of Dr Pepper ( Last of )

Block of ice from the icetray ( 1 of 12 )

As you can see i didn't really have anything in the fridge, so my option were severely limited ( to just that )

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...

I have found its often the unusual sounding recipes that are most enjoyable.

I will add to that by suggesting a Vegemite, cheese and apple sandwich ( I do think the taste may be catered more so to the Australian market as i hear alot of other countries arent too keen on vegemite )

If however you enjoy the taste of vegemite, 2 slices of thick bread ( fresh baked would be best ) some nice full butter, generous amounts of vegemite ( or as much as you can handle ) Cheese ( Block, i tend to just use tasty as im poor ). Last but not least Apple ( fresh and crispy ) 

Side note. Cut the cheese 3/4 the thickness of your apple slices. I find it gives the best texture of crunch / firmness of the Apple and cheese respectively.

It may seem  OCD for a simple sandwich, however im sure food enthusiasts  and fellow Chefs would agree Appearance and Texture play a vital part in any meal.

As for my dinner tonight. I had a;

Cup if instant chicken noodle soup

Tin of tuna ( Last of )

Row of white chocolate ( Last of )

Can of Dr Pepper ( Last of )

Block of ice from the icetray ( 1 of 12 )

As you can see i didn't really have anything in the fridge, so my option were severely limited ( to just that )

We have Marmite, which I love, in South Africa and its very similar to Vegemite. So thanks for the tip...I wouldn't have thought of the apple

John Milton 

I am having a Herd salad and baked fish for dinner, with a low fat salad dressing it will be tasty and healthy :)

John Milton 

Laid up with an illness? Check.

On meds that preclude alcohol? Check.

Pizza menu? Check.

Beer? Check.

Jason Statham movie, a really bad one? Check.

Recovery imminent.

:lol:

"On meds that preclude alcohol? Check"

"Beer? Check."

John Milton 

Forgot to mention that I had the most delicious Cuban sandwich (Cubano) at my local movie theater. I know that probably sounds weird but the theater actually has a pretty decent kitchen and I did live in Miami once upon a time and developed a taste for medianoches and Cuban sandwiches

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Forgot to mention that I had the most delicious Cuban sandwich (Cubano) at my local movie theater. I know that probably sounds weird but the theater actually has a pretty decent kitchen and I did live in Miami once upon a time and developed a taste for medianoches and Cuban sandwiches

Yeah that's a nice change, finding decent food at a Movie theatre.

John Milton 

Yeah that's a nice change, finding decent food at a Movie theatre.

We have a couple theaters in town with full bars and one that has a full restaurant kitchen. The seating is assigned and waiters will take your order before the movie if you are seated 15+ minutes prior to the start of the movie. If you are later than that you can still order from the bar and they will buzz you when your food is ready.

It's kinda hard for me to go see a movie any place else now

• Like 1

Shady your wife is Latvian?, I know its one if the Baltic states :unsure:  What is traditional food like from the Baltic states..is it mostly meat or fish for example?

John Milton 

Corn Chowder and wild rice. Cooked in a crock pot all day

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

She's from Estonia but culturally is pretty much Russian. She doesn't really cook anything Russian or Estonian at home but will occasionally make blini and eat it with sour cream and jam in the morning and caviar and sour cream in the evening.

Some of the more traditional Estonian dishes I had were fish based but I had some other pork (I think it was pork anyway) dishes. It was a lot different that what I was used to and some kind of black bread was served a lot. We used to have some Estonian forum members and if they are still around and see this maybe they give you a better description. 

Honestly, a lot of it just didn't do much for me as I grew up with a lot of big, bold flavors and a lot of spiced and spicy dishes. I won't say they were bland because some things were quite tasty but they were much more subdued and subtle in flavor and spice. 

• Like 1