What you having for dinner tonight?

Gorth

Home made prawn curry courtesy of my adjutant. Multiple bottles of red, all varieties. Planning nonsense for the following year.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Bruce, have you ever tried a cheese called Mizithra ... I had a spaghetti dish once with browned butter and mizithra, I thought it was just fantastic texture.

I always get that at The Old Spaghetti Factory!

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So I'm excited as one of the presents I received for Xmas was a Biltong Maker. Biltong is a great South African local food product similar to jerky just much better :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

http://www.yuppiechef.com/mellerware.htm?id=7611&name=Mellerware-Biltong-King-and-Food-Dehydrator&ref=search

So today I've started making my own Biltong, I'll let you guys know how it goes. It should take 3 days to dry out so I should be able to sample it on Friday :w00t:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bruce, have you ever tried a cheese called Mizithra ... I had a spaghetti dish once with browned butter and mizithra, I thought it was just fantastic texture. 

I had never heard of it before but it looks great for pastas, thanks for the tip :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bacon chop suey and Vegetable Soup. My younger Sister is the one going to make for me.

Nice, I hope you paying her or its slave labour which is outlawed in most countries :aiee:

Oh and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Milton 

So I'm excited as one of the presents I received for Xmas was a Biltong Maker. Biltong is a great South African local food product similar to jerky just much better :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

http://www.yuppiechef.com/mellerware.htm?id=7611&name=Mellerware-Biltong-King-and-Food-Dehydrator&ref=search

So today I've started making my own Biltong, I'll let you guys know how it goes. It should take 3 days to dry out so I should be able to sample it on Friday :w00t:

My biltong came out perfectly, it was a success :dancing:

Now the next step is to start playing with different spicing and marinades. The texture is fine but I want to improve the flavour or look at unusual ways to improve the taste.

John Milton 

Send me some, so I can try it and then tell you how much better (my shop's) beef jerky is. :grin:

....actually based on what I've seen around the web, I'd probably like it all right, depending on flavor/spices and moistness (I don't tend to like moist jerky). But I have a feeling I'd still like my thick US jerky more. I get pretty stuck in my ways. :disguise:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Send me some, so I can try it and then tell you how much better (my shop's) beef jerky is. :grin:

....actually based on what I've seen around the web, I'd probably like it all right, depending on flavor/spices and moistness (I don't tend to like moist jerky). But I have a feeling I'd still like my thick US jerky more. I get pretty stuck in my ways. :disguise:

I'll gladly send you some but I don't think your customs will let it into the country?

I've eaten jerky in the USA and its very tasty but biltong has a more robust taste. I found jerky to be sweeter than biltong, but I suppose I ate jerky in Vegas so it probably doesn't represent jerky in other parts of the states :unsure:

John Milton 

Tonight I'm keeping it simple, fish fingers and mash. I loooooove fish fingers, it always reminds me of pre-primary school and our Friday lunch meal :)

Oh and you have to have Tomato sauce (ketchup) with it

John Milton 

Pork chop pan-fried with an apple, half an onion, and a dash of rosemary and dried ginger. Om nom nom.

Pan fried :huh:  you mean afterwards to give it some color or how does that work? because I am used to make something that sounds very similar only in tinfoil in the oven and grill it a bit in the end.

Pork chop pan-fried with an apple, half an onion, and a dash of rosemary and dried ginger. Om nom nom.

Pan fried :huh:  you mean afterwards to give it some color or how does that work? because I am used to make something that sounds very similar only in tinfoil in the oven and grill it a bit in the end.

He means you cook the chop in frying pan as opposed to an oven. Its how we cook smaller pieces of meat. I generally do the same with Steak and chops. You obviously can't cook large pieces of meat like this as the meat won't be cooked all the way through but frying chops does add some nice caramelization  :)

John Milton 

I've been making my own jerky since Christmas and as far as I'm concerned it's unbeatable

Some of my wife's friends who claim not to like jerky have been requesting special batches just for them

Shady how do you make your Jerky, I want to compare it to the process of making Biltong.

What I do is

• typically take uncooked Silverside beef and cut it strips of about 15 cm
  • Marinade the beef in brown vinegar and spices for about 4 hours.
  • I then put the meat in the meat dryer for about 3-5 days. I check the meat after 3 days for the right texture

John Milton 

Somewhat similar

• I look for a well marbled cut of meat and have the butcher slice it thinly (usually about a pound and half to 2 pounds per batch)
  • Marinate overnight (at least) to 2 days depending on thickness
  • Put in dehydrator for 4 to 10 hours depending on thickness

We tend to go for thinner jerky and my wife likes it nearly crispy but the fat helps make it more flavorful and juicy. I get requests for thicker cuts which take a lot longer but are obviously meatier

I do a few different marinade mixes

• my normal recipe
  • bourbon and brown sugar
  • hot and spicy
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Somewhat similar

• I look for a well marbled cut of meat and have the butcher slice it thinly (usually about a pound and half to 2 pounds per batch)

We tend to go for thinner jerky and my wife likes it nearly crispy but the fat helps make it more flavorful and juicy. I get requests for thicker cuts which take a lot longer but are obviously meatier

• my normal recipe
  • hot and spicy

Interesting, very similar to Biltong

How long is the shelf life after you take it out the dryer? Do you ever get any mold on the Jerky, I have noticed that after 2-3 days I get a faint white powder on my meat and I'm not sure if this is normal  :skeptical:

John Milton 

He means you cook the chop in frying pan as opposed to an oven. Its how we cook smaller pieces of meat. I generally do the same with Steak and chops. You obviously can't cook large pieces of meat like this as the meat won't be cooked all the way through but frying chops does add some nice caramelization   :)

Ok but then what of the apple and half onion *use Italian accent* :aiee:;)

Edited by Mor

Somewhat similar

• my normal recipe
  • hot and spicy

Interesting, very similar to Biltong

How long is the shelf life after you take it out the dryer? Do you ever get any mold on the Jerky, I have noticed that after 2-3 days I get a faint white powder on my meat and I'm not sure if this is normal  :skeptical:

I don't think you're supposed to get any bloom. But you're probably better off asking a  proper old Boer.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.