InExile is plotting to ruin Torment by making it turn-based

khango

the main difference is

PE is made with a ruleset specifically designed for a CRPG with a RTWP combat system

TToN is using a PnP ruleset that is made for TB combat, and is adapting it for a CRPG. so making the game's combat system TB, has several advantages, especially on the fidelity of the system to the PnP original

And to me their concept for turn based combat seem better than their concept for real time with pause combat. Because I don't like real time combats that are limited by timer, but I am okay with turn based combats where you have only limited amount of turns to accomplish things.

I understand wanting to mimic much of what Planescape: Torment did with TToN, but of all the things from that wonderful game to mimic, why mimic the combat? The combat in P:T is almost universally considered to be the weakest aspect of the game.  Not to mention that the Numenera PnP system naturally lends itself to turn-based, even more so than most PnP systems. Adapting the Numenera system to RTwP would require them to either strip out the effort system, which is at the very core of Numenera, or require the player to constantly pause the game to assign effort to actions, which would effectively turn the game into turn-based anyway, just much less graceful turn-based.

Edit:  As of right now it's split pretty much 50/50.  The devs themselves are favoring turn-based, which leads me to believe that RTwP would have to win overwhelmingly for them to go with it.  I would imagine if it ends up 50/50, or 51/49, or even 60/40 they will still go with turn-based.  If it winds up something like 75/25 favoring RTwP, then they would likely go with RTwP.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think I'm going to vote RTwP, just to piss most of you off if TB loses by a few points.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Voted turnbased, partly due to OP being so manic about it, partly becausse I don't care either way and partly because it's more faithful to the PnP game, making it easier for the devs to implement it and lessen the chance of a ****up.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

Most people associate turn-based with JRPGs--which is to say all of their negative connotations are richly deserved.

actually, JRPGs are the last bastion of turn-based combat. Japanese developers seem to be the only ones to experiment with turn-based combat systems. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Voted turn-based.

Guess it backfired.

8)

unless that was precisely the OP's intention  :biggrin:

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

RTwP > Turn based > RT without Pause

it's that simple

RTwP does have all the advantages of Turn based, but none of the disadvantages

you can play as slowly as you want in situations that require time to think, and play through easy stuff quickly, without having to sit though thousands of turns

there you go, problem solved

the only real reasons to create turn based games is that they are much easier to do, and therefore cheaper, or you want your game to be asynchron (like e-mail games etc.)

anything beats realtime without pause though, that's the only reason i didn't back the new syndicate game, there is just no fun to be had without the option to pause in battles

• Like 1

I'd have thought Xcom Apocalypse and Arcanum would have taught people that you can't translate turn-based into RTWP (or vice versa) without taking any hits by now. Guess not.

Voted turn-based.

Guess it backfired.

8)

OP did Pearl Harbour false flag chemtrails in my smart meter.

I think I'm going to vote RTwP, just to piss most of you off if TB loses by a few points.

Thing is, I think most people don't really give a ****. I prefer turn-based, but I still really enjoy RTWP. Most people can enjoy Civilization and Total War without slipping in to overwrought histrionics. I wouldn't worry too much about funhaters screeching betrayal.

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 6
jcod0.png

Voted turn-based.

Guess it backfired.

8)

Reverse psychology is a powerful weapon. :dancing:

RTwP does have all the advantages of Turn based, but none of the disadvantages

That's not really true.

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 4

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Thank you for the reminder Khango, as I had not checked that E-mail in a while, unfortunately i'm voting turn based but no hard feelings sir.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm starting to buy into the reverse psychology theory too.  If true, the OP is a diabolical genius.  :yes:

You guys see conspiracy theories where none exist :yes:

The OP meant what he said but I think he underestimated the support for turn-based support

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I voted indifferent. I generally prefer RTwP, but the system they are describing sounds like it was designed with TB in mind and will probably work better that way. In any case, the two are basically neck and neck (the difference between them is 10 times less than the indifferent vote) so inXile might as well just go with what they want and basically disregard this vote altogether.

Just a call to action for any Project Eternity backers who also backed Torment. You better go checkout Torment: Tides of Numenera's Kickstarter page so that you can vote down the hordes of ToEE and Fallout fans who are trying to vote the game into being turn based instead of RTWP.

I know I wouldn't have backed it if I'd thought there were the remotest chance in hell of it being a turn-based game and I suspect a lot of Infinity Engine game lovers will feel the same way.

So I just thought I'd bring it up here on the off chance it helps turn out the vote a bit more. :grin:

And needless to say, if you actually would want a turn-based system, DON'T VOTE.  (Please?)

Why a backer who does wnat turn-based combat would not want to vote?

I was indifferent, but after reading this:

We’re planning for Torment’s combats to be hand-crafted and relatively few in number. We will be emphasizing quality over quantity and “trash mobs” won’t be part of the game. Combats will occur as part of Crisis gameplay

I decided to go for Turn-Based, because I am big fun of PnP gaming, and I prefer combat style introduced in games like ToEE over BG, though I love both games, and would not want PE to go TB...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

This is lol. People are so butthurt, as always.

I feel a bit sad for inXile, because it doesn't matter what they do, people will be whining and calling names.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I love turn-based battle systems. I have high hopes that PE will make RTwP not suck, but generally it's only been good in RTS games, where having a high level of granularity over individual units actions would be tedious, and battles tend to move slow enough that you avoid the sloppy imprecise feeling of IE/Bioware combat.

To me it just seems wrong to sell something as a spiritual successor to PST and then want to go turn-based because you are already developing a game that is turn based.

The combat in PST was something that wasn't great but it was part of the game and it wasn't bad because of RTwP.  I'd be pretty sure that PST would have a completely different feel if it was turn based and not necessarily better, I probably wouldn't have even played it if it was turn based.  I liked Fallout 1 and 2 but to be honest turn based always felt slow and boring to me.  

If the bad combat in PST is a reason to consider something different then InXile's desire to use Wasteland2's combat system is something to consider too.  That alone might end up making TToN's combat just as bad as PSTs.

InXile should consider giving Obsidian a call and seeing if they can borrow the RtwP from PE if they really need to save some time.  This is the kind of cross-company interaction that could benefit players.

It's more a situation of fans liking different things out of the original game.  Given that PST's combat was, in my opinion, quite poor, I am perfectly okay with them trying something different.  Heck, if it's what they want to do, I say go for it since it's better to have devs exploring features they want.

I could maybe see reservations with Eternity, but I admit I am a bit surprised at how many have dug their heels into their ground over this particular aspect of the game.

• Like 1

when I voted my vote made things exactly equal. I wonder what it is at now.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

when I voted my vote made things exactly equal. I wonder what it is at now.

RTwP 5113

TB 5191

Indifferent 573

And counting...

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I was indifferent, but after reading this:

We’re planning for Torment’s combats to be hand-crafted and relatively few in number. We will be emphasizing quality over quantity and “trash mobs” won’t be part of the game. Combats will occur as part of Crisis gameplay

I decided to go for Turn-Based, because I am big fun of PnP gaming, and I prefer combat style introduced in games like ToEE over BG, though I love both games, and would not want PE to go TB...

Yeah, that turned me from somewhat pro-RTwP to TB please. If a game is combat heavy then I would very much prefer RTwP, otherwise the combat would bore me to death way before the end. But when there aren't constantly hordes of annoying filler enemies at your throat every 10 meters, turn based could very well be more fun.

I voted indifferent. As a spiritual successor to PST it should be rtwp, but I do like turn-based

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg