What are you playing now?

Gorth

Picked up Dark Souls

You didn't already have it?

Okay, that's it. Show of hands, who does not already own this game?

We aren't allowed to be friends.

Hrm. Friends with Tale... not driven insane by the torture that is Dark Souls...

I think I'm good on that choice. Too frustrating for me. :)

I also have my doubts around if I can handle Dark Souls, I don't have patience with games that force repetition on you or don't allow reasonable save progress so if you get killed you don't have to go back too far. But I need to at least try the game before I'll comment properly :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

When you start as a new character, do you lose the character creation extras (eye color, skin color, hair color etc) you've bought previously or the main menu character editor?  I've been tempted to start over from scratch but don't really want to lose the character creation options (anyhow not restarting entirely until I've finally taken death out).

I lost the main menu editor. I don't know about pigments, I should expect them to be handled the same way.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I also have my doubts around if I can handle Dark Souls, I don't have patience with games that force repetition on you or don't allow reasonable save progress so if you get killed you don't have to go back too far. But I need to at least try the game before I'll comment properly :geek:

Its a well made game, at least.  I can recognize that.  But the frustration factor to me was in the stratosphere.  I went back and tried Demon Souls but same thing.  I think the game just was designed for a different type of gamer than me - but hopefully you'll like it.

Tale - thanks for the information; I thought that'd be the case.  Still might be fun to be a low level trainee again (particularly since I understand the classes a lot better).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

dark souls is only occasionally frustrating to me, but it definitely requires a certain type of gamer.  it plays like a modern albeit slowly paced dungeon crawler type thing, but it hearkens back to the NES days of memorizing enemy layouts and attack patterns to proceed safely

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Picked up Dark Souls

...busted a controller tossin' it (always aim fer the couch, but in me rage tossed high an' hit the wall instead...wife was gonna kill me) an' damn near sent me entire PS3 through the wall a few times playin' this damnable thing...finally beat 'er an' ain't loaded it up since; one o' the few games I's e'er played that I dunna beat at least twice...PS3, nor me marriage, would survive it... :banghead:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

... there is no forced repetition and the game autosaves all the time so you can always quit anywhere and you will be able to continue from there. Everything else is the player's fault.

Edited by Majek
  • Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I've seen Dark Souls dirt cheap a bajillion times over the past year or so.  The reason I don't have Dark Souls is GFWL, and, to a lesser extent, how crappy a PC port it is.  The crappy port I could get past since the modders have, for the most part, rescued it.  GFWL is a deal breaker.  I know it's a great game, I know I'm missing out, but I will never buy it as long as it's attached to GFWL.  I will never install that piece of malware on my system ever again. Not for any game ever.  I guess I'll just have to wait for Dark Souls 2.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Picked up Dark Souls

Hrm. Friends with Tale... not driven insane by the torture that is Dark Souls...

I think I'm good on that choice. Too frustrating for me. :)

I suggest using a trainer then.

The amount of grind and memorization the game expects is enormous otherwise.

Dark Souls' notoriety seems... exaggerated. There's going to be some trial and error, but simply being cautious should get you through half the game.

It's not even as hardcore as games like Baldur's Gate II, where you have to have entire spell sets ready for particular fights. There's no needing +3 weapons to damage a particular boss or spell breach.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hasn't GWFL been discontinued?

I've been wondering what would happen if I ever reinstalled Fallout3 (not New Vegas). GWFL was a major reason for it staying off my hard drive.

Edit: Just checked, it goes offline July 2014. So it will still pester the world for another 6-7 months.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

... there is no forced repetition and the game autosaves all the time so you can always quit anywhere and you will be able to continue from there. Everything else is the player's fault.

The most repetition you get is really having to run back to the boss fight rooms if you die during the fight. Quelaag was the worst for that because of running through the swamp, though the fight itself wasn't that bad.

I started two new dark souls character in as many days. Started a dex based fighter though I'm thinking of going dex/int and playing around with sorceries with him. Second character is caestus only. Not having a shield requires a completely different play style than I'm used to. I like sitting behind big shield and big armour in Dark Souls. Having parry be the only method of blocking attacks and relying on dodge rolling in light armour is going to be interesting. I think I'll be going after the ninja flip ring soon. I've gone through the parish and done everything except ring the bell.

My main hand caestus has been upgraded to +5 and it's doing some decent damage though the inability to stun anything, the short range and oddly long attack time are some pretty big drawbacks. The huge mass of hollows on the second floor of the church was a pain in the ass. Even more so when I accidentally dodge rolled off the ledge and agro'd the baldur knights too.

Character is up to Level 31 in Dragon's Dogma.  Minor complaint is I've yet to find a decent looking armor for my character.  The ones I've found/bought in stores all look like rags a beggar wears.  So I've taken to wearing a hooded robe for some cult faction I found in a random chest.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Uninstalled Skyrim yesterday.

Why? I am really looking forward to my first play through of Skyrim. I have loads of Mods I'll be using but I'll only be playing it in when I'm on leave in December and January :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well it's been two years and I finished up everything with my third and last character.

Makes sense. Imagine my excitement as I'm about to only begin my journey in the world of Skyrim :)

John Milton 

The most repetition you get is really having to run back to the boss fight rooms if you die during the fight. Quelaag was the worst for that because of running through the swamp, though the fight itself wasn't that bad.

I started two new dark souls character in as many days. Started a dex based fighter though I'm thinking of going dex/int and playing around with sorceries with him. Second character is caestus only. Not having a shield requires a completely different play style than I'm used to. I like sitting behind big shield and big armour in Dark Souls. Having parry be the only method of blocking attacks and relying on dodge rolling in light armour is going to be interesting. I think I'll be going after the ninja flip ring soon. I've gone through the parish and done everything except ring the bell.

My main hand caestus has been upgraded to +5 and it's doing some decent damage though the inability to stun anything, the short range and oddly long attack time are some pretty big drawbacks. The huge mass of hollows on the second floor of the church was a pain in the ass. Even more so when I accidentally dodge rolled off the ledge and agro'd the baldur knights too.

It's still better than going through the whole of Blighttown again isn't it? By the you reach bosses, you always have shortcuts open and can usually run past monsters if you don't want to deal with them, since you know where you're going.

Well since you don't have and intention of PVP ( and GWFL pretty much ruins most of the trying anyway) your DEX/INt build can be a normal DEX build for NG and you only go DEX/INT for NG+ :D.  Also try bleed weapons on bosses like Asylum demon, even a simple dagger works fine. :grin:

Cestus only seems too masochistic even for me. Especially because you basically must create a what i call a weapon master build ( 40 str/40 dex ) to get full damage from it, even then you don't get more than 336 damage, not to mention you can't 2H it.  But if you're set in that path, you might as well get Dragon Bone Fist made from golem's soul and master that R2 attacks. Also pick up a Dark Hand in New londo, so you have a shield that's not actually a shield. :grin:

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Well it's been two years and I finished up everything with my third and last character.

Makes sense. Imagine my excitement as I'm about to only begin my journey in the world of Skyrim :)

Word of advice:  Forget about the main storyline and just go do whatever it is that strikes your fancy at that moment, it's MUCH MUCH better that way. Of course, if you've played a Bethesda game before then you already know that, in which case, forget I wrote anything.

;)

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Or perhaps do , but no further than getting to a certain step-spiralled peak.

In my first play through I played with no mods whatsoever. And that was alright (apart from game-breaking quest bugs I had to correct with the console). But with several mods, expect even more bugs, so try out your mod set-up awhile first. Obviously, Skyrim with mods that you like are much better than with no mods at all. Also, don't forget to pick the mod which show you which books you haven't read. Very neat, indeed.

For everything else, see Keyrock's advice. Just go crazy or sneak around like you are a fugitive. Most stuff works.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, the game is definitely more fun if you don't release the Kraken dragons.  It's not a big deal if you do, they're not that much of a nuisance.  Like any Bethesda game, the story is completely throw away, so no hurry to complete it.  Bethesda's strength has never been writing or quest design.  Their strength is making big, lovely sandboxes to **** around in.  Also, making buggy game engines, I guess.

Like any Bethesda game, I highly recommend mods that change character models/textures.  Not necessarily the ones that turn all female characters into sex bombs and/or nudie mods, though, if that's your thing, then go hog wild, but something to make Bethesda's notoriously ugly faces a little easier to stomach. As Indira mentioned, adding mods will make Bethesda's already buggy game even more buggy, so don't get too carried away.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah that's true, I played almost and entire game without doing the main quest, it was a lot better actually. The dragonborn abilities are way way too powerful.

And then you get to be a powerful Vampire or Werewolf on top of that..

Fortune favors the bald.