What you did today

Rosbjerg

Azdeus: My hand is numb from the pain. I not only cut myself, I chopped off a little bit at the very top of the finger.I tried using the keyboard and even if I never use my thumb to type, it hurts.

Something similar happened to me two years ago, peeled a potato, slipped and chopped off the top of my left index finger down to the bone. It looked beautiful at first, the cut flesh looked like a polished ruby. The piece was pretty large and fell to the floor, it bled the whole night and in the morning my arm looked like a volcano with blood streams running from my finger down the whole arm. The scary thing however is that that the cut off piece grew back perfectly, even my fingerprint regenerated absolutely seamlessly. And I expected to get a nasty scar.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Aw crap, my master plan is now in shambles. How am I now supposed to sneak into Obsidian's office, steal Pillars of Eternity prototypes and not leave fingerprints. I'll try mess up the other thumb a bit more severely. 

My mother burned all her finger tips when she was a kid, her finger tips are completely smooth so she wouldn't leave any fingerprints! Too bad I can't get her into starting a second career as professional criminal. All the wasted potential....  :getlost:

Edited by Woldan

This happened at work. During lunch, a kid asked me if I could cut his apple. So I did, only problem was that the top of my finger decided it wanted to part ways with me. As soon as I felt the pain, I knew what had happened and calmly walked away, covering the blood with my other hand. I then bandaged the wound after making it stop bleeding for 15 minutes. Stayed at work, went home and took some painkillers and that was that. Feels a bit better now. Doesn't constantly hurt.

Scared the crap out of the children with a completely different story.

You did better then my mate that got the "****, cut myself" reaction and flicked his hand in pain. The hosts were quite perplexed how all that blood got onto the roof. :p

Good to hear you're feeling better though!

Something similar happened to me two years ago, peeled a potato, slipped and chopped off the top of my left index finger down to the bone. It looked beautiful at first, the cut flesh looked like a polished ruby. The piece was pretty large and fell to the floor, it bled the whole night and in the morning my arm looked like a volcano with blood streams running from my finger down the whole arm. The scary thing however is that that the cut off piece grew back perfectly, even my fingerprint regenerated absolutely seamlessly. And I expected to get a nasty scar.

Hehe, thank you for that description, it was good enough to make me throw up a bit in my mouth and tear up a bit, remembering when I jammed a splitting knife into the bone in my index finger with a splitting knife that broke and I had to tug it loose... :x

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Pretty apt topic there, Nep. I'm considering a job change to a more stable better paid position elsewhere in teh country. But I haveto say I just think everyone at the new place looks miserable as ****.

I'd like to point out that my current issues are due to myself attempting precisely that. Apart from the better paid... :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

So my ex contacted me and asked if I wanted to meet. We parted on fair enough terms, but haven't kept contact in the year since our break up.

Should I avoid it? My guts says it'll be important for both of us, but at the same time I'm getting serious with the girl I'm seeing and that could be a strange signal to send to her. Hmm

Fortune favors the bald.

We finalized the sale of our company today. I guess bittersweet is the best word. But it was a nice check to deposit. I'm starting a new venture I guessing most of you will get a kick out of. Especially if you were around in the 80's. Plus I signed a one year consulting contract with the new company so at least I'm not out of work.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So my ex contacted me and asked if I wanted to meet. We parted on fair enough terms, but haven't kept contact in the year since our break up.

Should I avoid it? My guts says it'll be important for both of us, but at the same time I'm getting serious with the girl I'm seeing and that could be a strange signal to send to her. Hmm

:lol:  This sounds eerily familiar! I'll give you the same advice you gave me, do it with no expectations other than tow old friends meeting and see what happens. It was good advice by the way.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

packed for our trip to hawaii. gonna stay on kauai for all ten days this time.

aloha

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Went to the annual Christmas party at my company this Friday. Started with lunch at a really nice restaurant/conference place (idyllically placed near a beautiful lake), followed up by a 4 hour conference that was strangely amusing. It ended with our CEO opening a bottle of beer in front of everyone in the Swedish company (around 120 or so people) and, speaking very slowly, saying "I'll just sip on this for a bit" and then downing the beer. Everyone cheered.

Then it was two hours free time before obligatory dinner. I spent my two hours in the lakeside sauna and diving into the ice covered lake, while the ice-cold storm winds whipped snow all over my semi-naked body (unisex sauna so we had to wear bathing shorts). It was awesome to dive into the raging black waters with the wind howling and only the stars in the sky as a light! Scary too. And cold.

Then we had dinner. Everyone were randomly placed at different tables. I ended up sharing my table with the CEO and three women, none of them particularly cute. Which was annoying since we have a lot of seriously cute ladies in our company. But the food was nice, there was a.. show (if you can call it that) by some of my colleagues and me and the CEO were drinking shots like mad men.

By the time dinner was done, I was already drunk. Then they cleared the middle of the huge room and opened the bar. The bar was maybe 20 meters long all in all and opposite it was a wall made of 5 meter (or so) high windows and a little stage. A live band entered the stage and started playing and after that the party was on full blast!

I danced for nearly 5 hours, drank a lot of unidentified drinks/beer/whisky, took some blurry pics, and generally had a lot of fun. I also finally got to dance with the cutest girl in the company (according to me) that I've been lusting over for a year or so. Lots of weird things happened and everyone was just so happy! It was awesome!

When the bar finally wanted to close, our CEO didn't like it and took the bartender into an adjacent room. After a few minutes he came back out with a champagne bottle in his hands and said, "It's all taken care of" and then the bar stayed open for another couple of hours. Pretty cool. We had gotten drink tickets from the company that we could use up until then, but after this we didn't need them anymore.

When the band finally gave up, I somehow got back to my room and fell asleep with my clothes still on. Even my shoes. 3 hours later my alarm went off and we had to get on the bus for the airport and the plane to take us back home. I was not Tarzan at that point. In fact, I think I was sick until Sunday..

Worth  it.

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

packed for our trip to hawaii. gonna stay on kauai for all ten days this time.

aloha

HA! Good Fun!

That is very cool. I just took my GF to Kauai for a week a few months ago. We had a really great time. It is y favorite of the islands so far.

Thomas Sowell

Sounds like a good party. For ours it just descended into a bunch of lushes arguing about our crackhead mayor after I left (they hit up a bar as well..we were only permitted one glass of wine :lol:)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, one of my friends is going to a "Charity Curry and Pub Quiz Night" event later this week, and apparently I'm to be dragged along to it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Did'nt you say you had your birthday around christmas aswell, or did I remember wrong? Edit; Was on the previous page even, yay me.

Twin?

Also; 200 euro? O.o

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hehe, thank you for that description, it was good enough to make me throw up a bit in my mouth and tear up a bit, remembering when I jammed a splitting knife into the bone in my index finger with a splitting knife that broke and I had to tug it loose... :x

Aeeaouch. Bone stuff always hurts like a b*tch. ;(   Back in my moms school days she once worked on one of those electrical sewing machines, guess what happened. She accidentally got her hand under the needle which then penetrated the nail of her thumb, the flesh, the bone and before exiting it snapped in half making a pretty big wound.

She had to go to the hospital for a minor surgery removing the needle pieces.

Did'nt you say you had your birthday around christmas aswell, or did I remember wrong? Edit; Was on the previous page even, yay me.

Twin?

Nope, my sister and I were born only 4 days apart. She is 6 years older than me but she was born the day after christmas and I was born 2 days before new years eve. Imagine how hectic everything gets between christmas and new year every year. (I celebrate new years eve like a maniac with LOTS of explosives, so thats a lot of festivities for just one week. :wowey: )

Also; 200 euro? O.o

Yeah. *hangs head*

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

And I just ate... >.<

And I just ate... >.<

Well, you got to see the good in everything, you've just made place for another tasty meal! Eating like the rich-romans. :w00t:

By the way, Azdeus, isn't it like 4 AM now in Sweden? You eat at 4 AM? 

Edited by Woldan

Speeding ticket... Apparently "60 MPH" in a 45 MPH zone (could swear I was doing 55 max).

Fortunately California law does allow me to go through a "Trial by Written Declaration" which so far as my research has told me means I needn't waste too much time going to court to defend myself and I stand a good chance of getting my case thrown out (it means additional paperwork for the officer, who doesn't get overtime pay for it). That said I must come up with a reasonably good written defense.

How does "No previous traffic infractions as well as no alcohol and substance-related charges nor any other criminal history* makes me predisposed to prudent driving as opposed to the recklessness claimed by the officer" sound?

* = It's true, honest!

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Speeding ticket... Apparently "60 MPH" in a 45 MPH zone (could swear I was doing 55 max).

Fortunately California law does allow me to go through a "Trial by Written Declaration" which so far as my research has told me means I needn't waste too much time going to court to defend myself and I stand a good chance of getting my case thrown out (it means additional paperwork for the officer, who doesn't get overtime pay for it). That said I must come up with a reasonably good written defense.

How does "No previous traffic infractions as well as no alcohol and substance-related charges in my history* makes me predisposed to prudent driving as opposed to the recklessness claimed by the officer" sound?

* = It's true, honest!

That's not going to work.  If you contest the ticket, you sometimes get out of it just by showing up to court, since the officer won't show unless it is serious.  If you want to argue the case, you need to have specifics about that ticket, they don't care about your history.  Were you tagged with radar or that light gun thing?  You were going over the speed limit, so I'm not sure what your case is.

I'd recommend paying the fine, take the online class, and moving on with your life.  It will take less time and it's an easy process.  Contesting it still means you might end up paying more in court fees and still have to deal with the infraction afterwards, if you are found guilty.

• Like 1

How does "No previous traffic infractions as well as no alcohol and substance-related charges nor any other criminal history* makes me predisposed to prudent driving as opposed to the recklessness claimed by the officer" sound?

* = It's true, honest!

OMG  Agiel !!!!

I never thought you were such a criminal, what's next? Are you going to join a Mexican cartel...you do realize that to break the speed limit is a criminal offense, I can't believe you are so nonchalant about such a serious infringement :p

In South Africa everyone gets speeding fines, its normal and expected. I pay my fines online. At the moment I have about 12 fines in my name. If you pay these fines online they generally give you 50 % discount. What is a problem is that the Traffic Police have these random roadblocks and if they scan your registration plate they can pull you over and demand the money for outstanding fines. So my advice is "pay your fines and move on" :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

How does "No previous traffic infractions as well as no alcohol and substance-related charges in my history* makes me predisposed to prudent driving as opposed to the recklessness claimed by the officer" sound?

* = It's true, honest!

That's not going to work.  If you contest the ticket, you sometimes get out of it just by showing up to court, since the officer won't show unless it is serious.

This is one of those things where I just can't believe how different two systems can be. Contesting a ticket around here is probably the dumbest thing you can do, since it invariably means a full investigation by the police, a day in court where the nice officer will show up in full uniform and polish to say that "yes, the system was calibrated - see the certificate attached - and no, if there had been in doubt, he wouldn't have given you the ticket over the red ferrari you swear just passed you"... Winds up costing more every time, forces you to deal with a grumpy judge and prosecutor who think you're just wasting their time etc. :p

I won't take any traffic cases that don't deal with a suspended license that's necessary for work...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

How about not speeding in the first place? Speed limits exist for a reason.

I really can't feel sad for people who get fines for that or die in car accidents if they were speeding and lost control over the vehicle. It just sucks donkey balls if other people are dragged into this, only because some idiot overestimated his driving skills... Which happens often enough.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

How about not speeding in the first place? Speed limits exist for a reason.

I really can't feel sad for people who get fines for that or die in car accidents if they were speeding and lost control over the vehicle. It just sucks donkey balls if other people are dragged into this, only because some idiot overestimated his driving skills... Which happens often enough.

Yes but we aren't necessarily talking about speeding, we are just talking about going maybe 15-25 km  over the speed limit. I don't see why you should get fined for that ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela