The general fitness thread

Woldan

Yesterday night I went by foot to buy my mountain dew and doritos.

:lol: well the trip on foot should negate all the calories, you little health fanatic you

I hardly think so. I can only assume you've never drunk mountain dew. It's like consuming sugar-dipped loft insulation.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:lol: well the trip on foot should negate all the calories, you little health fanatic you

I hardly think so. I can only assume you've never drunk mountain dew. It's like consuming sugar-dipped loft insulation.

Yeah I agree, I was being sarcastic :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I once drank the Dew and felt all my teeth slowly rotting inside my mouth.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The only soda I can't ditch is ginger ale.  Tastes great cold and flat as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't drink soda. I drink maybe a can a month now. Feel better for it.

Actually, that's a complete lie. I drink soda and lime in the pub, to avoid alcohol. But that's relatively low sugar.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hell of a time just cutting back on soda

It's my worst habit and I'm just miserable after a week without and the longest I've managed is a month or so

Do it cold-turkey style and you're not going to miss it after only a couple of weeks. I remember when I quit soft drinks, It was pretty awful and pure water made me feel sick in my stomach, but now I feel so much better, especially my teeth. Also my headaches went away and I don't have odd fatigue attacks anymore. The body doesn't need all that blasted sugar. Who would have guessed...

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

It's my worst habit and I'm just miserable after a week without and the longest I've managed is a month or so

Do it cold-turkey style and you're not going to miss it after only a couple of weeks. I remember when I quit soft drinks, It was pretty awful and pure water made me feel sick in my stomach, but now I feel so much better, especially my teeth. Also my headaches went away and I don't have odd fatigue attacks anymore. The body doesn't need all that blasted sugar. Who would have guessed...

Very true. I only have a sugary soda maybe every fortnight. They're fun. But you don't need more than that.

-Elwood Blues

On the other hand you could do it gradually, like a patch. Cut down the number of sodas per day you drink, try to replace them with healthier alternatives and see how your body responds. Also, stop buying sodas.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

My experience is that doing it gradually just prolongs the problem.  Of course everyone is different, but when you're addicted to the caffine or sugar and you're getting a little bit but not enough it just seemed to drag on whereas going cold turkey would be a miserable few days but after that it would veer greatly upward experience wise.

At least that's what I had when I tried quitting sodas and eventually did quit.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The problem is that some people cut down on one thing, supplementing it with another. Fact is you can eat whatever you want, as long as its in the right proportions or if you are willing to work out to get off the extra and there is a simple measurement of your success to know if you are doing alright or deluding yourself. First the mirror(stand sideways) to see if there is extra hanging, and mostly the weight scale.

• Like 1

-

My experience is that doing it gradually just prolongs the problem.  Of course everyone is different, but when you're addicted to the caffine or sugar and you're getting a little bit but not enough it just seemed to drag on whereas going cold turkey would be a miserable few days but after that it would veer greatly upward experience wise.

At least that's what I had when I tried quitting sodas and eventually did quit.

Thats exactly why I prefer to stop doing / consuming something cold turkey, IMO its less awful if you stay away from it completely instead of torturing yourself with small doses. Completely avoiding exposure to whatever you want to quit taking or doing is in my opinion and experience -contrary to the general opinion- the best and easiest way, but as always, YMMV.  (There are addictions that can and will kill you if you quit immediately, but I guess we're not talking about hardcore drugs here.    :blink: )

Edited by Woldan

DerAc9f.gif

Would post this in funny thread but it is more relevant in here.

Just a little thing to add, being fit =/= being "pumped". You don't need to be a jock, and spend hours each day in the gym. Just have some basic self respect/control. For example both of my parents in their late sixties and do 4km fast walk at least once a week.

Also at risk of sounding like a fortune cookie: The first step is the hardest, but its getting easier with time. Also finding someone to support or work with you will be huge bonus(even better than music).

• Like 1

I am annoyed when people look down on this, or suggest that some people shouldn't bother, to me fitness is not different from basic hygiene i.e. integral part of you life.

I'm guessing that's exactly the kind of arrogance that leads others to react with hostility ("looking down on it", as you put it). :p

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

What is she doing with her left hand.....?  :shifty:

Anyway, that pic perfectly demonstrates why a man should exercise, you're not going to get a look like that with a beer belly and scrawny shoulders. :no:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

What is she doing with her left hand.....?  :shifty:

Anyway, that pic perfectly demonstrates why a man should exercise, you're not going to get a look like that with a beer belly and scrawny shoulders. :no:

Unless you compensate with money.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.