The general fitness thread

Woldan

Anyone here doing close grip trap shrugs? Did them yesterday, 140 kg 8 reps 5 sets, in combination with standing military presses. Killer exercise if you want a strong neck for dead lifts and rows.

If you have high blood pressure the last thing you need is high degree phys.

I shouldn't jump on you, though. I'm really just concerned given that we have so many depressed people on the forum. It's a grave error to assume that because you don't feel like going to a gym you can't do any exercise and make any improvements. ANY exercise is an improvement. And even very little exercise does you a world of good.

Exercise works better against depression than any meds. Exercise also has no adverse effects, dramatically improves your health, makes you feel and look better. Its the best thing a depressed person can do. Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Anyone here doing close grip trap shrugs? Did them yesterday, 140 kg 8 reps 5 sets, in combination with standing military presses. Killer exercise if you want a strong neck for dead lifts and rows.

I shouldn't jump on you, though. I'm really just concerned given that we have so many depressed people on the forum. It's a grave error to assume that because you don't feel like going to a gym you can't do any exercise and make any improvements. ANY exercise is an improvement. And even very little exercise does you a world of good.

Exercise works better against depression than any meds. Exercise also has no adverse effects, dramatically improves your health, makes you feel and look better. Its the best thing a depressed person can do.

Considering that a common cause of death among exercise enthusiast is heart problems due to overexertion, I wouldn't go as far as saying that it has no adverse effects. Everything in moderation even the excesses. Other alternatives to fight depression are arts and crafts or just getting a hobby.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Considering that a common cause of death among exercise enthusiast is heart problems due to overexertion, I wouldn't go as far as saying that it has no adverse effects. Everything in moderation even the excesses. Other alternatives to fight depression are arts and crafts or just getting a hobby.

Well duh. I'd say excessive gaming is at least as dangerous as excessive exercising, both will kill you if you go crazy about it. Remember that reports of people dieing from exhaustion from playing too much WoW?

Well duh. I'd say excessive gaming is at least as dangerous as excessive exercising, both will kill you if you go crazy about it. Remember that reports of people dieing from exhaustion from playing too much WoW?

Yes, they were Asian and also the one about the couple that let their baby die because they were playing WoW.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Exercise has the advantage of applying a direct biological change to your brain chemistry. A hobby has the advantage of being easier to start and maintain when you're depressed. When I'm feeling depressed I find the prospect of going to exercise tantamount to flying by force of will alone.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Exercise works better against depression than any meds. Exercise also has no adverse effects, dramatically improves your health, makes you feel and look better. Its the best thing a depressed person can do.

I'm siding with Woldan on this one. Of course there are examples of people dying due to cardio training when they sick or having undiagnosed heart problems and that leading to heart attacks when training but end of the day cardio and fitness training can only improve your overall wellbeing. Its a silly argument to make that enhancing your fitness is in anyway a negative thing

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVC:

I think that when you reach a certain level of fitness getting gains becomes a very involved matter, which is for the expert who has the knowledge of how to achieve said gains. 
For the common man who is only trying to maintain their figure or complementing a diet with some exercise, I don't think that overexerting themselves is going to get them very far. I guess I'm trying to warn people who hit a plateau on their training regime to not get overconfident and realize that just because they can physically push themselves to the limit on a regular basis it means that they are healthy. 

village_idiot.gif

Exercise has the advantage of applying a direct biological change to your brain chemistry. A hobby has the advantage of being easier to start and maintain when you're depressed. When I'm feeling depressed I find the prospect of going to exercise tantamount to flying by force of will alone.

Funny how different people are. Or its simply a matter of perspective? When I started lifting I was lethargic and had suicidal thoughts all the time. I was one depressed SOB.  Lifting gave me the opportunity to vent all my anger, frustration and bad thoughts and use that energy to do something useful and beneficial to me. I could lift like crazy, the worst thing for me were exercise breaks (They still are). I have changed but I still vent my anger in weight lifting. It works wonderfully and its the best motivation there is to get physical. In fact it works so well I have to be careful not to get over-motivated sometimes.  :p 

@BruceVC:

I think that when you reach a certain level of fitness getting gains becomes a very involved matter, which is for the expert who has the knowledge of how to achieve said gains.

There are many ways to defeat plateaus without overstraining your body or having to consult an expert. Switching exercises, drop sets, forced reps, supersets all work and they don't ruin you if not done excessively.

Of course you'll hit your genetic limit someday, but 99,99% of people who exercise will never come near it because they're simply not determined enough. The danger of hurting yourself with normal exercise is really low.

IMO the biggest danger when hitting a plateau is succumbing to the temptation of power enhancing drugs, those CAN and DO kill and sadly many people cant resist.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

3tvtzy.jpg

Do you guys think that's a real picture? If seems far too out of proportion to be real...

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is unfortunately, there's some people that favor targeted exercises only. You end up with things like chicken legs and those arms.

village_idiot.gif

Look what I've found, a one-repetition max weight calculator, and its pretty accurate, at least for me. It also shows your fitness levels in the specific exercises (taking your body weight -size- into account).  In case you don't know how much weight you can lift in kg, one sack of potato chips weighs approx.0,2Kg.  :p

Pretty cool, huh? 

According to the test I'm sadly only intermediate level in squats and dead lifts but almost ''elite'' level in overhead presses and bench pressing.

Edited by Woldan

Well, due to a lot of computer work, I'm having back problems. So I'm doing back excercises.

The doc did say that heavy lifting is the no1 cause of spinal pains and injuries.

I know a few body builders who now have intense back problems because of that.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

That guy either has world record biceps and forearms or someone 'shopped the hell out of that photo. Take your pick.

Did any of you even bother to take a look at the door?

that is shopped.

However, THIS is not:

muscle-dog.jpg

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Well, due to a lot of computer work, I'm having back problems. So I'm doing back excercises.

The doc did say that heavy lifting is the no1 cause of spinal pains and injuries.

Its interesting you say that because that's one of the reasons I only do Cardio

John Milton 

Cannot agree enough. Look after your ****ing back and spine. You cannot possibly imagine what it's like when it goes.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Doc is an idiot. The No1 cause of spinal injuries and damage is sitting hunched over in an office chair for decades till your back is FUBAR. The No1 cause of exercise related spinal / back damage is caused by a bad lifting technique.

I know guys who have been deadlifting for 40years+ with weights beyond the 160kg (350lbs) mark, and they have no back problems whatsoever. However, I know guys who have been deadlifting for only a couple of years and ruined backs because they lift those weights improperly putting way too much stress on their spine. 

When deadlifting lift slowly, don't snatch, let the bar slide along your shins, always look at the ceiling when lifting the barbell because that keeps your spine straight. Lifting with a rounded back is what kills spines. 

And don't do good mornings, thats the exercise Bruce Lee killed his back with. 

I would think they mean in general terms, the highest number of injuries. Your average Joe Office probably doesn't 'put their back into it' for much of anything, or use the proper technique when attempting to. Until moving day, then I imagine those muscle groups buckle in a hurry, while the spinal column becomes a free-floating shock-absorber with no rebound and painful compression.     

All Stop. On Screen.

Did any of you even bother to take a look at the door?

that is shopped.

We thought that was his gravitational field warping space

• Like 1

village_idiot.gif

Finished my workout routine, my left testicle hurts and I have diarrhea. I feel the burn, yipee.

village_idiot.gif

Finished my workout routine, my left testicle hurts and I have diarrhea. I feel the burn, yipee.

Errrm.....I really don't want know what kind of workout you did. Did you try Ros' sex-tantra yoga?   :blink:

Today I got one step closer to my goal of shoulder-pressing my own body weight, I did 1 rep 86Kg, good form, didn't use a high barbell rack, picked up the barbell from the floor, snatched it, pressed it without using my legs and I could almost do a second repetition. 

Still +10Kg to go. 

Edited by Woldan

Yesterday night I went by foot to buy my mountain dew and doritos.

:lol: well the trip on foot should negate all the calories, you little health fanatic you

John Milton