What are you playing now?

LadyCrimson

The [H] guys have the best review of TressFX settings in Tomb Raider. Enable FXAA and TressFX, you'll get playable framerates at 1080. It's the combo of SSAA and TressFX that is reserved for mondo GPUs. Her hair still clips occasionally, but it doesn't break immersion, for me, and looks a hairjillion times better. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I noticed Gray Matter on GamersGate for the price of a cup of coffee.  It's the only Jane Jensen game I haven't played yet, and should do nicely until Moebius gets here.  It's installing on my lappy right now.

/rubs hands together

Edit:  Well, I haven't played Cognition yet either, but Jane only consulted on that game, so it's not really a Jane Jensen game.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The new Tomb Raider would be a far better game if it didn't have Uncharted rip-off sequences and nonsensical combat sections where you keep mowing down Russians that spawn out of nowhere.

The moments where the game focuses on a more stealthy approach are good. And then you jury rig a rifle into a grenade launcher.

But ideally there wouldn't be any human enemies at all. Just have that Asian girl disappear suddenly and go look for her in the ruins.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

But ideally there wouldn't be any human enemies at all. Just have that Asian girl disappear suddenly and go look for her in the ruins.

My thoughts exactly, hence my immense frustration with the game.  The entire time I was wishing I was doing anything but mowing down dozens upon dozens upon dozens of crazed cultists, but it never relents.  Rest assured, you will be mowing down many more crazed cultists to come.  That, unfortunately, is the bulk of the game.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut. The game has lost much of its initial charm with time. It's still good, but it's not a game I can see replaying for a third time, not even for New Game+.

On to Memoria.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My typing isn't as good as I thought it was. I'm pretty good at typing out things that I decide that I want to type out, but not nearly as good at copying something else.

This is what I have learned while playing Typing of the Dead.

Max Payne 3. The amount of cutscenes or times the game causes Max to switch to the pistol is a bit irritating. Still is fun to play, is satisfying to see the entry and exit wounds of your shots.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I got far cry 3 at gamersgate for 15 bucks, and while I should be able to run it smoothly on ultra, somehow it still has a crappy framerate at low graphical settings. Still a tremendously beautiful setting and an entertaining game with frustrating crash to desktop bugs and other weird issues. (like seeing threshold height objects as high enough to stop me)

I gotta say, the low framerate makes combat all the more interesting, and by interesting I mean frustrating. especially sniping.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Hit a game breaking bug in Memoria. So I've stopped playing it until someone e-mails me a new savegame.

Finished Tomb Raider. I'm giving Crystal Dynamics the benefit of the doubt considering this was supposed to be an "origin story" and not going to call it Tomb Raider in name only yet.

EDIT: my only regret is not having unlocked Explosive Arrows before having to wade through those 7,000 zombie samurai.

Edited by Drudanae

I'm going the other way and assuming the follow up will be another Gears of Lara until I have definitive proof to the contrary.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Started playing The Pitt.

Wow, the first hour was better than anything I have seen in Fallout 3 vanilla!

The Pitt was very decent (and I loved the DLC taking place in the swamp lands, I just can't remember it's name) :)

If somebody could patch out Little Lamplight and more importantly, the need for GFWL (or whatever that thing is called), I might have reinstalled Fallout 3 and given it a second go. Never did complete it.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Pitt was very decent (and I loved the DLC taking place in the swamp lands, I just can't remember it's name) :)

If somebody could patch out Little Lamplight and more importantly, the need for GFWL (or whatever that thing is called), I might have reinstalled Fallout 3 and given it a second go. Never did complete it.

I thought GFWL was dead and thus all games ran in offline mode now? As for Little Lamplight, this thread links to a mod that skips it but you need to create a Nexus Mods account. 

Agreed. I think on my next playthrough I will breadrcrumb supply caches into the caves, in order to lure in raiders and slavers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So I got to play a bit of Assassin's Creed (2, I think, it was all Italian and stuff) at a buddy's house.  I came to the realization that I have been looking at the game in the wrong way.  Sure, it's a game about stabbing people, but you also get to do a lot of jumping on rooftops.  I freakin' love jumping on rooftops, hence my love of Mirror's Edge.  Jumping on rooftops is my jam!  I have spent dozens upon dozens of hours in Elder Scrolls game jumping on rooftops (Oblivion was the best in that regard), and those weren't even games specifically built around jumping on rooftops.  Now I want to get an Assassin's Creed game sometime in the future when they're uber cheap on a Steam sale or something so I can jump on rooftops in the comfort of my own home.  Sure, I'll probably have to stab a few people along the way so that I can progress the story and open up new areas for me to jump on rooftops, it sucks, but hey, what can you do.  Still, as long as that leads me to many more rooftops to jump on, I'm willing to pay that price.  So, my question is this:  Completely disregarding combat and story (some Templar vs. Assassin bull**** from what I gather), which I don't care about one bit, which game in the series is the best from a purely jumping on rooftops point of view?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Keyrock, that really depends on what type of rooftops you want to jump on.  :)

Seriously though, I'd say the original AC2 is a good jumping off point.  It will probably pop up in the Steam winter sale for cheap too.  AC1 is cool because you get to jump around amazing historical sites like Jerusalem and Acre, but most people prefer AC2.  

I'm currently playing AC: Revelations, which is like AC2 part 3 or something.  But it takes place in Constantinople and I'm in love with the city itself.  

• Like 1

Assassin's Creed II is fantastic. And Brotherhood is a great sequel to it. And that's the entirety of my ability to recommend that franchise.

Keyrock, that really depends on what type of rooftops you want to jump on.   :)

Seriously though, I'd say the original AC2 is a good jumping off point.  It will probably pop up in the Steam winter sale for cheap too.  AC1 is cool because you get to jump around amazing historical sites like Jerusalem and Acre, but most people prefer AC2.  

I'm currently playing AC: Revelations, which is like AC2 part 3 or something.  But it takes place in Constantinople and I'm in love with the city itself.  

Hmm, well I'm not really partial to any one type of rooftop, now that I think about it.  They need to be close enough together that I can for the most part remain on the rooftops without having to resort to climbing down too often, but otherwise, I don't much care whether they're ceramic shingles or wooden planks, or baked mud brick, or copper...  Well maybe I am kind of partial to copper roofs, those look super duper cool.  Anyway, I guess, rooftop quality being equal, it comes down to coolest looking cities for me to look at while I'm jumping on said rooftops. 

Assassin's Creed II is fantastic. And Brotherhood is a great sequel to it. And that's the entirety of my ability to recommend that franchise.

So the other games don't have cool rooftop jumping?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

None of them improve over the rooftop jumping of 2 and Brotherhood, let's put it that way. While also seeing the rest of the game fail to be as good.

• Like 1

None of them improve over the rooftop jumping of 2 and Brotherhood, let's put it that way. While also seeing the rest of the game fail to be as good.

Gotcha, so assassin rooftop jumping technology did not advance any after 2 and Brotherhood while the rest of the game, which I admittedly care little about, deteriorated.  I'll likely scoop up one of those when uncle GabeN makes them super cheap in a month or so.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Good to see Max is an idiot in Max Payne 3, two instances of cutscene stupidity so far.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

First AC is the best, platforming wise and combat wise. Later games just keep adding a few gimmicks and the combat turns more and more into Arkham Asylum the more you progress through the series.

It also avoids the terrible conspiracy storyline until 99% into the game. Also, best protagonist without a horrible fake Italian accent.

• Like 1