RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

it's weird, because if Rockstar had said "when you start a new game you get to choose from 3 characters, each has their own unique skills and strengths!"  i would have been excited. 

But instead its:  "we made a super long movie with three characters in it, and when its time for the movie to change scenes, you will begin controlling whichever character that scene is about."

frankly, other than the last 30 minutes of RDR, i don't think rockstar is as good at making movies as they think they are.  so playing a twenty+ hour movie about three old retired gangsters sounds very different from my idea of a good time.

Agreed. Sounds ridiculously boring in typical Rockstar fashion. I have yet to finish GTA IV, La Noire and RDR. They're all more or less the same game with a different skin. I have yet to install Max Payne 3, but am hoping the more streamlined design actually makes the game more focused and actually fun to play. Edited by Blodhemn

I actually liked LA Noire, apart from the ridiculously borked interrogation system. OTOH, it's the only rockstar game I've finished apart from vice city.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I actually liked LA Noire, apart from the ridiculously borked interrogation system. OTOH, it's the only rockstar game I've finished apart from vice city.

Yeah, the interrogation system is just bad. Really, the main thing I like is collecting the cars at this point. Everything else with the game is too repetitive for me to really care about it.

Its amazing how we can differ on certain games but have similar views on others. I loved LA Noire and GTA4.

My only complaint about LA Noire is that there weren't enough incentives to explore the city and I enjoyed there rendition of LA in the 1940's

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Rockstar has said nothing about a PC version. 

Of course the haven't, silly. They don't want to jeopardize their console sales. People would just wait longer then. Rockstar usually always announces a PC SKU months later, after the console versions have shipped and sold 10 trillion copies.

That could be a valid reason and makes sales sense

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Rockstar has said nothing about a PC version. 

Of course the haven't, silly. They don't want to jeopardize their console sales. People would just wait longer then. Rockstar usually always announces a PC SKU months later, after the console versions have shipped and sold 10 trillion copies.

That may well be true, and I hope it is.  However, until Rockstar officially announces a PC version of GTA5, I'm operating under the assumption that it doesn't exist and never will.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bound By Flame trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYT4O6jiPY#t=73

I didn't get much out of that trailer other than BIG SWORDS! BLOOD! HUGE DEMON!

I enjoyed/am enjoying the 2 Spiders games I have played/am playing Mars: War Logs and Of Orcs and Men, but they both felt like they were not fully realized.  Hopefully this time around Spiders had both the budget and the time to leave this in the oven long enough to fully realize their vision.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's not the reality of game development. They are not releasing a PC version alongside the console SKUs because it simply isn't ready yet. Porting such a massive game to PC is technically challenging.

Like with GTA 4, and LA Noire, I presume an announcement for GTA5 in early next year, and a release in Spring or so. It would be stupid doing otherwise (money).

That's not the reality of game development. They are not releasing a PC version alongside the console SKUs because it simply isn't ready yet. Porting such a massive game to PC is technically challenging.

Like with GTA 4, and LA Noire, I presume an announcement for GTA5 in early next year, and a release in Spring or so. It would be stupid doing otherwise (money).

Yeah, well, I'm still waiting for a PC port of Red Dead Redemption, so...

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Is one sold console game more profitable for them than a PC one?

Though, nowadays even steam releases cost around 60€...

Not they don't.  They cost $14.99...

On a Steam sale...

6 months after release.

:p

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

console sales have to be worth a bit more than pc sales simply for the fact that casual pirates who really want to play gta 5 will buy the game on console 6 months before rockstar even announces that there will be a pc version

dedicated pirates won't care, but if Rockstar can get an extra few thousand sales by holding out on a pc version till the one year later mark then im not surprised they go that route

could be a million other reasons too though

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

That used to be accounted for by the price increase, though the big titles on PC tend to be the same price as a console release.

It's probably just more likely that consoles is where they will get a large swath of the sales, that economies of scale cover any difference and that it's best for them to focus on that title than to split their time somewhat.

If they are dedicated pirates then I'm sure they will just pirate it on the console

Also, I heard somewhere that they get a smaller cut of the sale on consoles than PC but I don't know if there is any truth in that or not

no doubt, a dedicated pirate is never going to be a customer for any game developer, and no thought should be paid to their kind.  But companies should always consider ways to discourage casual piracy, so long as their chosen methods do nothing to hamper the enjoyment of their paying customers.  A staggered pc release might be one way to accomplish that goal

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If the console game costs 60€ and the pc version 50€, then yeah. :p

Though, nowadays even steam releases cost around 60€...

A digital sale without the extra cost of production and physical distribution has got to be more profitable even with the lower overall price. I don't know how much Steam takes for themselves but I doubt more than retailers.

The only real reason I can think of is fears over piracy, justifiable or not.

Steam takes 30% of the sale, which is why they should sell DD exclusively through Rockstar Social Club and keep 100% of the money for themselves!

Plus, it would generate hilarious butthurt and I like hilarious butthurt. Unless it's my hilarious butthurt, of course.

• Like 2