Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Y'all miss the memo about Dragon Age Keep? If they are willing to set up something like that, "default" should play a considerably smaller part in the future than it has.

Hadn't forgotten, but I'd question how many people would use it. The 'default' character set ups for both DA and ME (ie human male fighter/ soldier) saw far more usage than custom ones, and that process is actually integrated into the game seamlessly. The keep will get used by die hard fans and people who want to play through 7 times with different characters just to make sure they hate the game, and I think it's a good idea, but I don't see the typical player using it much to generate different 'backgrounds'.

Well, obviously they think that enough people will use it for it to be worthwhile to set up a system like it. Would be a colossal waste of resources if it wound up not having an impact on the game.

And, as they've said, this allows them to overcome issues like Conrad Verner's bad flags in ME2 due to being more adaptable. So, obviously, this is a major project for maintaining game-to-game continuity and, well, I can't believe they'd do it just for cosmetics.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I guess that's better than comparing it to Skyrim and the Witcher.

I'd rather it be compared to Skyrim or the Witcher since at least those are fantasy RPGs.

Or are they? :p

Besides, Blood Dragons were first in DAO, so in a way... Never mind. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You could do worse than a medieval FarCry IMO. All I want is for Bioware to be honest about the type of game they're making. They are the kings of misrepresentation when they try to be all things to all gamers.

If DA3 is basically a souped-up action RPG with romances and lots of cut-scenes... why not just say so?

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

What is your objection to a qunari Inquisitor?

Why? Aside the fact that the history and political climate means Kossiths are not only distrusted, but them gaining a position of such pwoer and influence as a Inquisitor would NOT go well.

Immagine a ex-natzi leading an army loyal to him to "free" france from its' civil war. That would go over soooo well.

And IIRC; a Kossith wasn't even supposed to be a playabale race initially. That would mena this feature was tacked on due to popular demand. And tacked-on features in general tend to suck.

To put it simply, a "one size fits all" approach just doesn't cut it when the races are so different. Each race would practicly need it's own game.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

You could do worse than a medieval FarCry IMO. All I want is for Bioware to be honest about the type of game they're making. They are the kings of misrepresentation when they try to be all things to all gamers.

If DA3 is basically a souped-up action RPG with romances and lots of cut-scenes... why not just say so?

A medieval FarCry sounds interesting, closest I've seen to that was Mortal Online.

They won't say the truth because no one in publicity ever says the truth, after all is their job to sell you their game.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What is your objection to a qunari Inquisitor?

Why? Aside the fact that the history and political climate means Kossiths are not only distrusted, but them gaining a position of such pwoer and influence as a Inquisitor would NOT go well.

Immagine a ex-natzi leading an army loyal to him to "free" france from its' civil war. That would go over soooo well.

And IIRC; a Kossith wasn't even supposed to be a playabale race initially. That would mena this feature was tacked on due to popular demand. And tacked-on features in general tend to suck.

To put it simply, a "one size fits all" approach just doesn't cut it when the races are so different. Each race would practicly need it's own game.

People and ideologies are not the same thing.

You can be an ex-nazi, but not an ex-german. The Qunari Inquisitor will be unaffiliated with the Qun. I theorize we'll have a superman kind of deal, where he/she was raised by another race.

Also, apparently the Dwarf Inquisitor is from House Cadash. 

Edited by NKKKK

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Everything about DA:I is 'due to popular demand.'

It seems to be BioWare going to a segment of their audience and saying 'We know we pissed you off so here's a giant ice cream sundae with as many of your favorite toppings as we could possibly fit on it.'

That said, you're overstating how much people hate the qunari.  The Llomerryn Accord (peace treaty) was signed about 150 ago. No one living in Ferelden or Orlais has been at war with the qunari. They mostly interact with kossith who have rejected the qun and work as mercenaries. 

It's important to note here that the PC will not follow the Qun. While humans might view you as odd, you're not a heathen, so we won't see the sort of anger directed towards you that Sister Piatrace stirred up in Kirkwall.

We know that the PC can be a Dalish elven mage, so I'm guessing they've already come up with a rationale for how someone who normally would be shunned manages to create a powerful organization in the heart of the Orlaisan Empire. We know that there's currently a civil war going on as a Duke is leading a force against the Empress. I'm going to guess that we help crush the Duke so the Empress supports the Inquisition.

Edited by Maria Caliban
  • Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

There's a lot of fans that don't like all of what Bioware's done the last 1-3 games to varying degrees, but still want to buy/like Bioware games, or hoping the games go toward a direction they like better. I think if they advertised, "DA3 is basically a souped-up action RPG with romances and lots of cut-scenes," it'd get a batch of critics and discourage customers. I don't like Bioware's marketing, or most game marketing in general, but I wouldn't expect much otherwise.

Also, you can technically be ex-German. Expatriates and all that. Unless you're referring to culture/origin of birth.

And just checking: Kossith is the term for the race as a whole, then?

I find it funny when people take the lore so seriously.  I've read all the books and played all the games, but this isn't Tolkien.  There are really too many cooks in the kitchen to expect an ironclad universe without plot holes.  Better to just enjoy it as a good popcorn flick than expect more.

I honestly can't believe ANYONE follows or cares about the lore in dragon age.   from a storytelling and worldbuilding standpoint, its like an almost-mediocre fantasy series where the author keeps throwing ideas into the pot instead of fleshing out the best ideas they had when they started.

demons exist, and the biggest ones are dragons

dragons are demons

and monsters

and stupid like an animal

but important because they symbolize stuff

:banghead:

edit:  please, for the love of all that is good in this world, do not try and explain the lore to me.  i don't care, and am sick of reading about it.  

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I honestly can't believe ANYONE follows or cares about the lore in dragon age.

Pretty much the entirety of my time at PAX was chatting with fans that gobble up Dragon Age stuff.  Had a couple people that were more clearly less impressed with BioWare's direction as of late, though it was literally only 2 (that bothered to talk to me about it, in any case).

• Like 1

(that bothered to talk to me about it, in any case).

Poor Allan. Well, if you ever have a showing in Dallas, I'll be sure to harrangue you about something. Like the possibility of bromances, blood dragons, the hints in the setting that magical aptitude is more widespread than believe and whether or not that's intended or accidental, or if you personally got to meet Claudia Black (OMGOMGWHAT'SSHEREALLYLIKE).

No no, don't spoil it by answering any of that now.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I honestly can't believe ANYONE follows or cares about the lore in dragon age.

Pretty much the entirety of my time at PAX was chatting with fans that gobble up Dragon Age stuff.  Had a couple people that were more clearly less impressed with BioWare's direction as of late, though it was literally only 2 (that bothered to talk to me about it, in any case).

Did those 2 gave an actual valid critique or was it just a matter of personal taste? and more importantly; are you allowed to talk about it?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Is there any lengthy publication I can read that expresses BioWare's design policies at length? Like, a game design book or something that (pretty much) encapsulates what everyone over there is on the "same page about"? I think it would help in making discussion and criticism less "charged". A lot of us are on the 'receiving end' so we probably are missing a lot of the thought processes that lead to critical decisions.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I liked the feel of the culture in DA:O but the fine grain detail washed over me completely. I got this faintly Celtic vibe, loved the music, thought the ambiguity of the religion and exclusion of clerics sort of neat. I was also vaguely aware that the Qunari were like 15th Century Turks.

Apart from that, seriously, I couldn't tell you much about Dragon Age and it didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the game. Which I think I gave a solid 7.5 or something out of 10.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I thought demons were just the spirits in the fade that represented the selfish aspects of mortals, hence Desire, Hunger, Pride and Rage demons. Dragons just seemed to be natural animals though with some relationship to the Old Gods.

Yeah that hasn't been explored yet. Although the Antivan witch of the wilds hinted that there are more to them. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Did those 2 gave an actual valid critique or was it just a matter of personal taste? and more importantly; are you allowed to talk about it?

It was the standard complaints.  Both had some things to say about the ending of ME3, and one in particular was quite against the idea of not having it on Steam/having it on Origin.  But it wasn't really anything I hadn't already seen or heard before.

Poor Allan.

Haha, for the most part people were happy to talk my ear off.  It wasn't really a lack of talking with people, it's just that only two people spoke up in a decidedly more clearly negative perspective.

So, because you've "heard it all" before, they're not valid criticisms? 

Let's not start something - but I think it's the case of Alan having taken the criticism and already decided what was valid and wasn't wasn't. In a state like that, what else can you do? Once you've made up your mind about something, hearing the same ol' from somebody else isn't going to sway you or stimulate any further development.

• Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go: