What you did today

Rosbjerg

The internet can be a very weird place.

On the other hand, I do know a few people who first "met" each other via some chat sites, and over time ended up getting married. Heh, one couple who started talking on the old WB Buffy chat site back in '98 or so, and they were on opposite sides of the Atlantic. I got invited to their wedding about 6 years ago.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hurlshot I have two words for you: Children's Benadryl. Problem solved! 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It beats a 5-gallon bucket filled with water. The wife'd never forgive you...and neither would the prosecutor.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

It beats a 5-gallon bucket filled with water. The wife'd never forgive you...and neither would the prosecutor.

Yeah they tend to take a dim view of that kind of thing!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I told you guys about my nephews career crisis (or lack thereof) a few weeks ago and that he was thinking of joining the Marines. I told him it was a good idea so long as he wanted to be a Marine. If he just wanted to join the military then he should look at all the other branches before deciding. He took my advice met with all the recruiters and ended up enlisting in the Navy. He's going in November. I think it was a smart move for him. Like I said back then, being in the Marines in not easy, you have to want it.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Store run to prep for the Red Sox/Yankees series. Hubby's gonna have to do without his BL2 most afternoons/evenings, until the WS is over.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Here's one for the hurt locker...I had an IRC friend who I spoke to for several years, soul mate stuff, towards the end when I started wanting to meet her it all fell apart quite horribly, I realised that I never had any proof that she was real.

Three years have gone by, I fired off a drunken email a month ago and we ended up chatting every few days, it was as if no time had passed and I thought "she" had changed for the better so I suggested we finally speak, she agreed but last night when I gave her my phone number she said I was pushing things and proceeded to fly off the handle, it's all gone to hell again and I'm equally bemused and broken :blink:

Obviously it's looking like I'm dealing with a fraud or at least a very damaged person who hides behind the internet, I got over feeling like a fool years ago so I'm not ashamed to ask for comments on this hilariously wrongbrained situation.

You are being Catfished.

Here's one for the hurt locker...I had an IRC friend who I spoke to for several years, soul mate stuff, towards the end when I started wanting to meet her it all fell apart quite horribly, I realised that I never had any proof that she was real.

Three years have gone by, I fired off a drunken email a month ago and we ended up chatting every few days, it was as if no time had passed and I thought "she" had changed for the better so I suggested we finally speak, she agreed but last night when I gave her my phone number she said I was pushing things and proceeded to fly off the handle, it's all gone to hell again and I'm equally bemused and broken :blink:

Obviously it's looking like I'm dealing with a fraud or at least a very damaged person who hides behind the internet, I got over feeling like a fool years ago so I'm not ashamed to ask for comments on this hilariously wrongbrained situation.

You are being Catfished.

Ha, yeah looking back it's obvious but damn...

Ha, yeah looking back it's obvious but damn...

There's a tv show about it where they follow people (usually the catfish) and eventually arrange a live meeting. Interesting and sad.

I'm watching the documentary movie now, I wish I had half the information this guy had, chances are I'd never be able to track this one down  :getlost:

It is a beautiful night. The stars are out, fireflies are flashing down by the creek. Owls, whippoorwills, you gotta love nighttime in the US South. I'm going to pour a double of fine 9 year old bourbon and take my XM radio out on the porch and listen to the football game. At least until 9 when the Rays/Angels game starts. See you guys tomorrow!

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

We have had a power outage the last 2 days where I live caused by striking workers from City Power who have intentionally damaged power stations.

Anyway they now have brought in contractors who are busy restoring the power in areas of Johannesburg effected. So hopefully I will have electricity restored today :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, one couple who started talking on the old WB Buffy chat site back in '98 or so, and they were on opposite sides of the Atlantic. I got invited to their wedding about 6 years ago.

Oddly enough this one's nickname is Buffy.

That should really have been your first clue, amigo.

I have an acute crisis when I realised that I only have one decent single malt in the house, and it's getting depleted fast. I had some 18yo Highland Park earlier this week in a pub, I'm thinking about grabbing a bottle to boost the cabinet. OTOH, I got a hot tip on Royal Lochnagar, but there's no way I'm going to be able to source that locally (or even from Finland at all...)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not necessarily. Just because she's cautious about meeting doesn't mean she automatically ain't real.

If I had a female friend who was thinking about 'converting' an online relationship I'd advise her not to, if you see what I mean?

So, I'd suggest you accept this has run it's course, and move on in a friendly way.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ever noticed how people tend to get cold feet when their fantasies are about to meet reality? We don't want our bubbles bursting.

If it's a girl, she's probably very comfortable keeping it online, because it gives her comfort and she feels validated - if you meet, you might not live up to her expectations or vice versa.. It would be risking too much.

It's unfortunately very common and one of the biggest problems with online/virtual/sms flirting.

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Heh, that reminds me of that old quote "real sex is like real violence. It's messy and the results usually end up smelling quite badly."

Urf, but its being a seriously grey and depressing day here so I'm trying to establish some get up and go to get things done.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

At this point I'm finding it hard to believe they were telling the truth, when I got back in touch she started reeling me in a bit too enthusiastically, I almost fell for it but as soon as I went near the subject of actual contact she became pretty damn malevolent and manipulative, after so many years you'd imagine a simple voice conversation wouldn't be such a big deal but it always ends up in ultimatums, she pretty much tells me to get back in my cage or hit the road  :disguise:

Regardless of the truth I'll put it behind me, it's not as though I'm lacking friends in the real world nowadays but it still stings a bit, I'm a generally good natured guy and part of me misses and pities whoever it is.

Ever noticed how people tend to get cold feet when their fantasies are about to meet reality? We don't want our bubbles bursting.

If it's a girl, she's probably very comfortable keeping it online, because it gives her comfort and she feels validated - if you meet, you might not live up to her expectations or vice versa.. It would be risking too much.

It's unfortunately very common and one of the biggest problems with online/virtual/sms flirting.

Your theory is impeccable, my young apprentice, but in this case, BUFFY, come on!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Looks like team morale is finally shattered at work, sure makes for a boring work day when everyone's overcome with apathy. :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tonight I'm staying at home and enjoying a nice stout.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

The good news is the electricity has been restored in my area, yaaaaaaaaaay

Unless you have experienced it before its difficult to describe the unbridled joy of driving down your street and seeing the lights on after being off for  48 hours :dancing:  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Looks like team morale is finally shattered at work, sure makes for a boring work day when everyone's overcome with apathy. :lol:

It is my considered opinion that your workplace is rife for a mutiny. Begin psychologically laying the foundations by wearing a powdered wig, and prefacing messages with "Mr Hornblower sends his compliments and asks..."

~

You know that incredibly sensitive part of the inner wrist, which can make a paramour tremble if kissed?

Well, I've just spilled boiling water on mine and it f***ing well hurts.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The good news is the electricity has been restored in my area, yaaaaaaaaaay

Unless you have experienced it before its difficult to describe the unbridled joy of driving down your street and seeing the lights on after being off for  48 hours :dancing:  :dancing:

I can really sympathize with you, I live in the boonies here in Sweden, and every two years or so I get power outages that are several days long. Real pain in the arse when it's below freezing in the middle of winter! :)

I'm really grateful for the wood burning stove and the fireplace at those times. ;)

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken