Dragon Age: Inquisition

It seems to be a lot of tinseltown animations and annoying timing - it's a bit like arcade games and Kingdoms of Amalur. I can't say I'm very excited about this development, especially for a party-based game. I didn't play DA2, and this doesn't bode well combat-wise.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

'Cept in Highlander, it's all over if you head's separated from you neck :p

Not true, if someone calls your name out really loud, you'll come back good as new. It's a Zeistian thing

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guest Slinky

Worst moment was probably when he launched the whip/chain thing at nothing. Some intelligence at guessing what the player is attempting to do would go far.

Wasn't the video from some pre alpha far-from-finished test mode thingy? While I do love a good thrashing, maybe we still should wait for the real thing :p

or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

Truly the words of a Bioware's fan.

I'm very disturbed by that, but not surprised at all.

Worst moment was probably when he launched the whip/chain thing at nothing. Some intelligence at guessing what the player is attempting to do would go far.

Wasn't the video from some pre alpha far-from-finished test mode thingy? While I do love a good thrashing, maybe we still should wait for the real thing :p

Nope, just like we have to bitch about Sawyer ruining PE without knowing for certain what the mechanics are.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How did dog have an 'interesting' personality? Zevran's personality equaled  slit throat, and Sten was a one dimensional loser with no depth.

Also, anyone who think mages do all the work in DA obviously don't know how to play the game.

I could beat the game (easily, mind you, far easier than any other make-up) with four mages.

Also, what was that pic about on the previous page, Sawyer said that in what context exactly?

I've been saying for a while now that tactics requires thinking, there's no such thing as 'fast paced tactical combat' because fast paced implies, 'you have no ****ing time to think' and tactics come about without thinking (the last thing you do is in an action game is think). Nevermind that a game that is fast paced usually means enemies fall over quickly. If your enemies die quickly, what tactics must you employ to succeed? It'll always be easier just to sit there and take it, or at best, we've just made kiting the most effective strategy to beating the game.

If by tactical gameplay, they mean, "Use these spells against these enemies oh and use that chain whip thing to stun people a lot" then it's just an action game. You can't call an action game tactical/strategic, because that's not what people mean when they call a game tactical/strategic.

You can't make round/turn based combat "look" fun to people who have a stigma against it. I get it, RPGs are still viewed by the masses as "slow and dull" but going full action game isn't the solution, it's avoiding the real problem. And since DA3 is now just a full-on action game, it is going to be closely competing with other action games in 2014, like, Dark Souls 2, ot whatever. It needs to be as good or better than those next-gen titles a year from now. If DA3 doesn't sell well, I think we can pin some of the blame on this factor, that DA3's experience isn't unique enough to drive sales. Which, I guess, to Bioware/EA, might be a better explanation than, at least in their minds, "Well, roleplaying games just don't sell anymore."

Edited by anubite
  • Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

How did dog have an 'interesting' personality? Zevran's personality equaled  slit throat, and Sten was a one dimensional loser with no depth.

Also, anyone who think mages do all the work in DA obviously don't know how to play the game.

I could beat the game (easily, mind you, far easier than any other make-up) with four mages.

I thought that there were only 3 possible mages?

Although you can beat the game with only 2 easily, let alone 3. Hell with Arcane Warrior, mages were better fighters than Warriors. Bio really screwed the pooch with balance there.

The combat looks so incredibly boring.

I have to say, action combat always gets boring as hell after a few hours.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought that there were only 3 possible mages?

Although you can beat the game with only 2 easily, let alone 3. Hell with Arcane Warrior, mages were better fighters than Warriors. Bio really screwed the pooch with balance there.

I let that slide because it ties with the in game concern people show with mages being dangerous. I'd say that what made warriors redundant was their inefficiency at controlling aggro, warriors were poorly done in DA:O. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Also, what was that pic about on the previous page, Sawyer said that in what context exactly?

It's a slide from a speech held by Josh Sawyer at 2011's Games Developer Conference wich was named "The Evolution of RPG Mechanics". 

At that point he talks about randomized accuracy and criticizes it as a form of mechanical chaos. You can find a pretty good summary of his conference at that link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36637/GDC_Europe_Obsidians_Five_Hard_Lessons_Of_RPG_Design.php

Have they really not stressed "cinematic" yet? I am surprised.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I like those screen shots.

I've been saying for a while now that tactics requires thinking, there's no such thing as 'fast paced tactical combat' because fast paced implies, 'you have no ****ing time to think' and tactics come about without thinking (the last thing you do is in an action game is think). Nevermind that a game that is fast paced usually means enemies fall over quickly. If your enemies die quickly, what tactics must you employ to succeed? It'll always be easier just to sit there and take it, or at best, we've just made kiting the most effective strategy to beating the game.

If by tactical gameplay, they mean, "Use these spells against these enemies oh and use that chain whip thing to stun people a lot" then it's just an action game. You can't call an action game tactical/strategic, because that's not what people mean when they call a game tactical/strategic.

You can't make round/turn based combat "look" fun to people who have a stigma against it. I get it, RPGs are still viewed by the masses as "slow and dull" but going full action game isn't the solution, it's avoiding the real problem. And since DA3 is now just a full-on action game, it is going to be closely competing with other action games in 2014, like, Dark Souls 2, ot whatever. It needs to be as good or better than those next-gen titles a year from now. If DA3 doesn't sell well, I think we can pin some of the blame on this factor, that DA3's experience isn't unique enough to drive sales. Which, I guess, to Bioware/EA, might be a better explanation than, at least in their minds, "Well, roleplaying games just don't sell anymore."

I don't necessarily agree that faced paced combat is devoid of tactics or strategy. Games like Ninja Gaiden require you to be tactical in your positioning, which enemies to take out first, which attacks are most effective against what enemy types etc. I am more concerned that it won't work in a hack and slash party setting. I remain optimistic though. I think a really good overview camera will alleviate a lot the frustration I had with DA2. 

• Like 1

"I'd say that what made warriors redundant was their inefficiency at controlling aggro, warriors were poorly done in DA:O."

No. They were poorly done in BG more likely but the fanboys just can't see it and are delusional.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'd say that what made warriors redundant was their inefficiency at controlling aggro, warriors were poorly done in DA:O."

No. They were poorly done in BG more likely but the fanboys just can't see it and are delusional.

This kiddies is a red herring, where the poster purposely ignores the main point in his/her response and starts to wax poetic about something completely irrelevant in order to support his post.

We are arguing Dragon Age Vol, not Baldur's Gate.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Guest Slinky

Does complicated characters mean characters with lots of complexes?

Hmm, let's see:

Even so, Dog's personality was just your typical loyal pet. Now, if he had betrayed you for the Darkspawn because they gave him better doggie biscuits that would have been a sweet twist... or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

Yes Drudanae, I believe it does mean that.

9553522539_53bb6a1181_b.jpg

^ Rogues seem to be getting a lot of love this time around.

The website was updated:

"DEEP AND COMPLICATED CHARACTERS Lead a party chosen from nine unique, fully-realized characters – each of whom react to your actions and choices differently, forming complex relationships both with you and with each other."

Nine companions. I'm going to guess there will be an extra DLC companion announced closer to launch date. Hoping they come free with pre-order or CE. 

NEVER,

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Does complicated characters mean characters with lots of complexes?

Hmm, let's see:

Even so, Dog's personality was just your typical loyal pet. Now, if he had betrayed you for the Darkspawn because they gave him better doggie biscuits that would have been a sweet twist... or if he had raped Sten (or Morrigan) in the camp.. that would have been different.

Yes Drudanae, I believe it does mean that.

Fetish != complex

Edit: Nice looking artwork

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

The way they are posed I can't help but see that as from some weird boy band concert. Nice hat though, if impractical.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I bet if I had wrote Dog murderiong Sten or Morrigan, you sickos wouldn't even blink.

"This kiddies is a red herring, where the poster purposely ignores the main point in his/her response and starts to wax poetic about something completely irrelevant in order to support his post.

We are arguing Dragon Age Vol, not Baldur's Gate."

yet, you have no issues when others bring non DA games up. Bottom line is that DA has more strategy, tatics, and options than most RPGs even (espicially) the precious BG.

P.S. That character looks stupid espicially the hat.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guest Slinky

The website was updated:

"DEEP AND COMPLICATED CHARACTERS Lead a party chosen from nine unique, fully-realized characters – each of whom react to your actions and choices differently, forming complex relationships both with you and with each other."

Nine companions. I'm going to guess there will be an extra DLC companion announced closer to launch date. Hoping they come free with pre-order or CE.

Nine? Okay, now I very very much doubt they are going to be anywhere near being "deep", unless the word means the companions have a impressive set of mental defects.

I'd personally take 4 well written, dialogue heavy companions than nine who have about 10 lines in the entire game which is about what I'm now expecting from DA:I.

The way they are posed I can't help but see that as from some weird boy band concert. Nice hat though, if impractical.

Wasactually thinking the same thing :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif