New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let me ask a question that keeps popping up in my head:

So Mars is the new hotness, now everyone and their grandmother, from national space agencies around the globe to private enterprises, are all super interested in going to Mars.  One thing we are not seemingly interested in, that I think we should be, is building an outpost on the moon.  Why build an outpost on the moon?  What are the benefits?  

There are several.  

It's an exercise in building something on an extraterrestrial piece of rock.  Eventually, we're going to send people to Mars and we're going to build something over there.  Now, the challenges to building on the moon and building on mars are not exactly the same, but there will definitely be many of the same problems to face, namely radiation.  We can simulate concepts of radiation shielding on computers, but that's not the same as doing it in practice, and what better place to practice than right in our own back yard (galactically speaking).  Other challenges include protecting the outpost from meteor and comet strikes (Mars, unlike the moon, has an atmosphere, but it is very thin) and the effects of low gravity over prolonged periods of time on people.  If we face all these challenges for the first time on Mars and something goes wrong then the people there are SOL because help is at best 7 months away, likely much further (depends on how the orbits line up).  If something goes wrong on the moon we at least have a chance to save the people.  Mars is going to present its own unique problems but some of this stuff we encounter and overcome on the moon will be applicable.

A base on the moon can also be used as a staging and refueling station for missions into our solar system.  Eventually maybe you could actually build spacecraft there and just start the journey there.  Some of the biggest hurdles to space missions are getting through the Earth's atmosphere and escaping its gravity well.  We burn the majority of fuel in our current spacecraft just getting off this planet.  If we refuel the spacecraft on the moon we're already past the atmosphere and a good chunk of the way out of the Earth's gravity well (the moon has its own gravity well but it is quite small comparatively speaking).  We would use a fraction of the fuel to take off from the moon and get into deep space than what we use to get off the Earth, leaving that much more fuel to go wander around the solar system and take pictures and probe, or whatever.

So my question is, why are we not trying to build an outpost on the moon?  This to me seems like the clear next logical step.  It seems a lot of people are wanting to skip this step and go right to Mars and I think that's a costly mistake (both in therms of money and lives).

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nazis are already on the moon, we can't get there anymore

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Nazis are already on the moon, we can't get there anymore

Nazis and lizard people...  Lizard Nazis!  Oh crap!  :blink:

Edit: I didn't even know about Elon Musk talking about building a base on the moon, I just saw the story on that just now.  I've been thinking about this for a good while now.  It just seems like the next logical step.  Great minds think alike, I guess...  :shifty:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So my question is, why are we not trying to build an outpost on the moon?  This to me seems like the clear next logical step.  It seems a lot of people are wanting to skip this step and go right to Mars and I think that's a costly mistake (both in therms of money and lives).

It's an enormous expense for very little gain.

You are right about it being logical next step tho.

I think it's just the coolness factor. Manned space "exploration" has primarily been an exercise in national prestige. We've already been to the Moon and there's nothing cool about being the 13th person to land there.

Scientifically though, there's a lot of excellent reasons. Unfortunately, it's just too darn expensive to fund purely science missions to the Moon at the moment.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

well even from economical point of view it makes a lot of sense to create base here, as someone already pointed out most of the fuel used is taking off the earth. If someone get 'factory'on the moon which can produce fuel and maybe assable ships there it makes so much sense to build a base there...

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

well even from economical point of view it makes a lot of sense to create base here, as someone already pointed out most of the fuel used is taking off the earth. If someone get 'factory'on the moon which can produce fuel and maybe assable ships there it makes so much sense to build a base there...

Moon has hardly appropriate resources even for rocket fuel let alone ship construction.

Never-mind lack of business case of going beyond earth orbit.

And it would take trillions to extract them while you can do it on earth for far less.

If there was profit in space mining people would be doing it right now.

Technology improves and becomes less expensive over time, so just because it seems like a profit losing endeavor today, does not mean it will stay that way tomorrow.

It also comes down to motivation. China had a massive fleet of ships a full century before the Age of Exploration that were superior to the caravel ships used by Columbus. But they saw no profit in it and had no need for more resources and land. The Europeans, on the other hand, were being squeezed out of the trade markets by powerful Muslim empires and were desperate to find ways to expand. They were willing to take greater risks. That is what you will need to see happen for a decent boost in the space age.

Technology improves and becomes less expensive over time, so just because it seems like a profit losing endeavor today, does not mean it will stay that way tomorrow.

I'd agree if 'tomorrow' means 'not in our lifetimes'.

As is, we would need luck to even see asteroid mining happen.

I'd agree if 'tomorrow' means 'not in our lifetimes'.

As is, we would need luck to even see asteroid mining happen.

I'm not willing to take that bet, given the fact I had to dial home with a rotary phone as a kid and now my phone can basically access all of human knowledge. If it becomes a priority it will move very quickly. 

• Like 3