Dragon Age: Inquisition

Do any of you really think the negative reaction really stung through EA's thick leather skin to fan backlash to the degree that because of it they abandoned the idea of turning Dragon Age into a bi-annual franchise a la Call of Duty.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

We ended up transitioning from having to worry about that by expanding the number of projects that we work on, actually.

It was definitely something we wanted to do.  There's a lot of reasoning behind DA2's schedule (which I cannot discuss), although most of DA2's issues IMO (which I am more comfortable discussing) was that we weren't as committed to doing a shorter, more focused game (which would have worked for the time frame), and being caught in that middle ground hurt it too much.

We ended up transitioning from having to worry about that by expanding the number of projects that we work on, actually.

Good. Seriously.

It was definitely something we wanted to do.

You wanted to do two releases a year? That idea scares me for how impractical it could be.

Annual creeps me right the heck out. I know from prior discussions about TOR that Bioware was wanting a certain level of success out of a belief it would lead to some autonomy. If it's the same hope for annual Dragon Age, then looking at other annual franchises like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed point to the mistake in that line of thinking. And yet others, like Guitar hero, paint out the danger of investing too heavily in one thing and charging too quickly forward.

Every two years can be cool, but Dragon Age 2 didn't seem to target that with its time frame. The difference between Mass Effect 1 and 2 is one of 26 months and resulted in lots of positive reception.

although most of DA2's issues IMO (which I am more comfortable discussing) was that we weren't as committed to doing a shorter, more focused game (which would have worked for the time frame), and being caught in that middle ground hurt it too much.

That's kind of like what Avellone says about KOTOR 2. If he had to do it again, he would have made it more focused, cut out companions and other things. It would have made for a more solid product. Though that does have its own danger.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Are the events from Dawn of the Seeker considered canon?

Yes. Though I assume some things aren’t quite accurate. The part where a blood mage somehow conjures dozens of golems seems unlikely.

hmm, is it true that you actually will be able to pick a race for your main character? I thought that Bioware is sticking with voiced protagonist human only. was that just a troll rumor or something?

They originally were going to do human-only, but they managed to secure an extra year of development time and so will be adding in elven and dwarven PCs.

Would a 50% Origin sale suffice? :biggrin:

Depends, will the DLC still only be sold in monopoly money?

That's actually one of the big things turning me off to DA3. Legacy sounds cool, but nobody should have to put up with Bioware's purchasing system.

As I understand it, future BioWare titles will handle DLC the way ME 3 did.

Do any of you really think the negative reaction really stung through EA's thick leather skin to fan backlash to the degree that because of it they abandoned the idea of turning Dragon Age into a bi-annual franchise a la Call of Duty.

I don’t think EA intended for DAII’s development time to become the norm.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"You wanted to do two releases a year? That idea scares me for how impractical it could be."

Not impractical at all when you are talking the company the size of BIO. In fact, they've done it before. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You wanted to do two releases a year? That idea scares me for how impractical it could be.

We wanted to do 3, because it gives us more time per project.

What I meant by "what we wanted to do" was that fan outrage didn't crack an EA skin.  I actually had considered emailing Aaryn Flynn suggesting we push to 3 projects to effectively move to 3 year dev cycle, only to have him mention it at the following studio meeting.

Edited by alanschu

What I meant by "what we wanted to do" was that fan outrage didn't crack an EA skin.  I actually had considered emailing Aaryn Flynn suggesting we push to 3 projects to effectively move to 3 year dev cycle, only to have him mention it at the following studio meeting.

Are you confusing bi-annual for biennial?

Or do I not understand the math for how releasing every 4 months gives you more time per release? However that works out to a 3 year cycle, I am happy to hear. But also very curious as to how.

Yeah, that part was a bit confusing :)

I can understand having 3 years per project if you have 3 projects and release one product annually (while 2 are in the works).

Edit: On the other hand, it could be "EA Math" and explain while they feel they are under some scheduling constraints :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

BIO has hundreds of employees. They can handle 2  projects a year while still giving each game multi year development time - espicially when you throw in expansion packs or smaller games. Again, they have released games in the same year before. Not a biggy.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, that part was a bit confusing :)

I can understand having 3 years per project if you have 3 projects and release one product annually (while 2 are in the works).

Edit: On the other hand, it could be "EA Math" and explain while they feel they are under some scheduling constraints :p

Ordered sets, you cannot complete a project in less that x amount of time no matter how many people you throw at the problem. In fact a lot of people working on a project is a management problem. To put it in context, animators cannot start their work without the models.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Or do I not understand the math for how releasing every 4 months gives you more time per release? However that works out to a 3 year cycle, I am happy to hear. But also very curious as to how.

Errr, we wanted to do 3 projects, so that we can roughly release one a year and take 3 years to make each one.  I thought it was inferred when people were talking about "annual releases." (which would mean one BioWare game a year)

It seems I misunderstood you.

EDIT: Yeah.  Since in my mind we were talking about "1 release per year" I totally read your "do two releases a year" as simply "work on two projects at once."

Edited by alanschu

I'd be totally for 3 projects at once so we can get a new BIO game a year with a decent dev cycle. As long as one of those is another Jade Empire game.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Again, never played the DA franchise, but didn't health used to autoregen after each encounter and you couldn't really die (just take a knee), like they are now doing in PE? I wonder why they changed that model. Can you die now in DA?

That's how I remember DA, no real death unless the whole party is defeated. But are you sure you can't die in PE, that concerns me :unsure:

IIRC, death in PE only occurs with certain option boxes checked, otherwise you take a knee except in cases of a TPW. I know Ironman offers permadeath and only 1 save that will self delete but I think the one setting down from that (Trial of Iron?) also offers death but you can reload. There is no resurrection magic in PE so death is permanent.

And that is how a game should be designed. If players want permadeath, give him checkbox, if player wants health-regen, give him that option...

I just refuse to believe, that implementing one variable for health/mana regen ON/OFF would make the game go over the budget...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

No my complaint extends to Varrics dress code as well, his sturdy buff coat needs to be done up not left open like an idiot. As for Conan the legendary Cimmerian usually dressed in appropriate harness for the region and circumstances he was encountering, such as the heavy mail he wears throughout Queen of the Black Coast and the full plate harness he dons when leading troops in Hour of the Dragon.

My analysis is not based on gender but rather verisimillitude, i'm not a fan of style over substance.

Edit: And i'll state for the third time that a woman does not need to be half dressed to be overtly sexual, especially if her choice of clothing would mean she'd freeze to death and die for the sake of appearing sexy, to think any woman would be so idiotic as to do so is a massive disservice to women if not downright insultive.

Believe it or not, I met many women going around in winter with naked waist (not sure if this is the right english word for the body part...) and have absolutely no clue, that it could permanently damage their kidneys... all they care about, is that it makes them more sexy in winter.... and I am talking about winters with temperatures fit for snow...

/sigh

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Errr, we wanted to do 3 projects, so that we can roughly release one a year and take 3 years to make each one.  I thought it was inferred when people were talking about "annual releases." (which would mean one BioWare game a year)

EDIT: Yeah.  Since in my mind we were talking about "1 release per year" I totally read your "do two releases a year" as simply "work on two projects at once."

As long as BioWare has a large enough team that they can work on 3 projects concurrently and not spread themselves too thin, then it sounds like a solid plan.  That was my fear when I heard about the turn around time on DA2 following DA:O.  My fear was, they're working on ME3, they're working on SWTOR, and now they're also working on DA2, all at the same time?  I'm scared the quality will suffer on at least one of these projects.  And, well, in my mind, at least, my fears were confirmed.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Thanks for clarifying. And thanks for being informative, Allan.

As long as BioWare has a large enough team that they can work on 3 projects concurrently and not spread themselves too thin, then it sounds like a solid plan.  That was my fear when I heard about the turn around time on DA2 following DA:O.  My fear was, they're working on ME3, they're working on SWTOR, and now they're also working on DA2, all at the same time?  I'm scared the quality will suffer on at least one of these projects.  And, well, in my mind, at least, my fears were confirmed.

While still technically BioWare, the Austin studio is effectively a different studio.  Outside of lending a hand from time to time, it'd be akin to worrying because DICE is making Battlefield the same time we're making DAI.

• Like 1

While still technically BioWare, the Austin studio is effectively a different studio.  Outside of lending a hand from time to time, it'd be akin to worrying because DICE is making Battlefield the same time we're making DAI.

Gotcha.  Thanks for clarifying.  

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So what happened to the one title per year schedule?  There's no BioWare release this year, and only Inquisition for the next little while (unless the new ME game is set to be released in 2015).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Would a 50% Origin sale suffice? :biggrin:

zzzzzzzz

i forgot origin existed.  so bioware is really giving up on steam completely?  sounds like a bad call to shut out that many customers.  i guess i could end up buying it on disc, but then it will probably make me use origin anyway so whats the point

i guess somebody wake me up when it hits 75% off on origin  (so around the time dragon age 4 gets released?)

............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.