Hurlshot's Summer RV Trip 2013 Edition

Hurlshort

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sorry mkreku, my wife said no to the bikini pics. :p

Day 4 - I apologize for the socks, I've never owned a pair of ankle socks in my life.  We took a shuttle to Zion, passing some towering sandstone mountains.  I'd really call it a red version of Yosemite, they are very impressive.  Today we kept it simple and hiked to a place called Emerald Pools.  Logan was being pretty difficult about it.  I actually have a backpacking carrier for him but he refuses to sit in it.  He wants to be hand carried.

ch2j.jpg

It was very misty up at the pool, which was great in the heat.  

cb1j.jpg

He calmed down and walked all the way back though, stopping regularly to throw red dirt around.  It was only about a mile and a half circuit, although it was a decent climb.  When we got back down we took off our shoes and walked along the Virgin River.  

2ie1.jpg

We ended back at the lodge and ate lunch on the lawn.  It was an excellent father's day.  Now I'm enjoying a Zion Canyon Amber Ale and BBQing some chicken for dinner.

y8ty.jpg

I'll post some more impressive park shots tomorrow, when we attempt to walk along the Narrows River trail.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

Sorry mkreku, my wife said no to the bikini pics. :p

Oh.. it's no problem.. it's OK..

..WHEN YOU POSSESS SUCH LEET PHOTOSHOP SKILLZ AS I!!

aaaa2_zps67b701b1.jpg

The rest of you perverts can thank me later.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Somehow I always had Mkreku pegged as one of those expensive socks douchebags. I mean, they're socks. Who in the hell cares.

That said, white tennis socks are probably the worst way you could go. They look horrible and as an added bonus they make you sweat more.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Made me recall this store - http://www.harryrosen.com/eng/categories/accessories/socks

*snort* $30 for a pair.

Anyway, cool photos and looks like everyone's having fun despite all that sun :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Somehow I always had Mkreku pegged as one of those expensive socks douchebags. I mean, they're socks. Who in the hell cares.

That said, white tennis socks are probably the worst way you could go. They look horrible and as an added bonus they make you sweat more.

I walk almost everywhere so socks and shoes are my biggest extravagance after booze.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Day 5 - Today we hiked the Narrows, and it was easily the best hike I've ever done with the kids.  We hiked about a mile in the shade of the canyon wall to an area where the trail ends, and then we started hiking in the river itself.  Logan had it pretty easy. 

myfg.jpg

At one point it got pretty deep and I had to carry my daughter, it was about mid-thigh high.

bq2x.jpg

We covered about half a mile down the river before stopping at a sandbar and relaxing.  There was a great little runoff coming down the walls.

wpe7.jpg

Logan just wanted to play in the sand.  He was actually the only one that got to stay dry during this hike.

w9ul.jpg

When we got back to town we stopped for a much needed refueling break.  Logan doesn't look happy about being stuck with water.

ii27.jpg

• Like 1

Well DAD

You got four glasses of BOOZE! Why can't I have a SODA!?

/8 year old logic

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Narrows hike in Zion is awesome.  I did it when I was 14 or so.  Do they still have a big "Flash Flood Danger Level" sign that you walk by at the start?  Nothing makes for a fun afternoon quite like the fear that a wall of water is going rush around the next bend at any moment, drown you, and wash your corpse out into the Pacific. 

I just got back from the other end of the alphabetical list of National Parks-- Acadia, in Maine.  Lots of hopping from rock-to-rock along a scenic coastline. 

• Like 2

Logan doesn't look happy about being stuck with water.

Cruel and unusual punishment?... :p

Awesome pics Hurlshot.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Awesome pics, Hurlshot. I've gotta show hubby those and tell him we have to do the Narrows. Looks like just the thing to do on a hot summer day. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm of the opinion that the Rolls Royce of sock technology does not differ radically from the budget version.

It's a sock.

I'm currently wearing merino wool bridgedales with about 15 patches of special macguffin on them. It's like having my feet in the mouth of God.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Day 6 - After hiking the last two days, we decided to take it easy today and explore the town of Springdale outside of the park.  We had a tasty lunch and bought a couple gifts for folks.

3mhz.jpg

Logan and I got kicked out of this store a few minute later for 'browsing too roughly'   :rolleyes:

gw88.jpg

Tomorrow we drive out to an animal sanctuary.

You son is really cute, do you pull his cheeks?

I grew up in a family of massive cheek pulling. And all my younger siblings had chubby cheeks when they were your sons age so having your cheeks pulled was common :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why would anyone do that to a child. Except for grandparents wishing to instill fear and obedience.

I grew up with my cheeks being pulled as did all my brothers? Its cute especially if your cheeks are a little chubby like my families were when we were young.

I would think cheek pulling is normal?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why would anyone do that to a child. Except for grandparents wishing to instill fear and obedience.

Fear from that ? Mine used a walking stick or a thrown shoe, pah!

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My grandparents liked to frighten me with things like giant (to a 4 year old), battery operated walking dolls that walked upright while making horrible whiny mechanical noises, waving their arms up and down moving their head like in the Exorcist. I'm still scarred from that, scarred I tell you.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts