E3 Thread - 2013 Edition

C2B

GDDR5, technically, which is a variant of DDR3, just a lot more expensive (but has significantly more bandwidth). A source of confusion to many, GDDR4 and 5 are both DDR3 variants, GDDR3 is a DDR2 variant, and GDDR/2 is based on DDR1. Yeah....

That, and regular DDR3 has spiked in price anyway this year, due to one manufacturer (Elpida) shutting down last year. Note that the spike is due to companies who manufacture the actual chips, different to end-user facing companies that stick them onto, er, sticks (such as Patriot, G.skill, Kingston, etc). There are very few companies in the former category and they have historically engaged in cartel behaviour, and are by far the biggest driver of prices. The latter are small-fry and there are many of them. Anyway, prices have now stabilised at a high plateau, and the betting is that they may well stay there for a good while, potentially until DDR4 enters the mainstream.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

With that price Sony will likely go out of business, but at least they are throwing some sand in Microsoft's eyes.

This is what makes me suspicious too. The BOM for 8GB DDR5 RAM is something ~$120-145, compared to the ~$25 of 8GB DDR3 RAM.

MS certainly will have more latitude for price flexibility, that's for sure. And higher profit margins from Day1, unless the Kinect sensor really is such an expensive piece of hardware.

X looked fantastic

Wish I could have played Xenoblade.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This is what makes me suspicious too. The BOM for 8GB DDR5 RAM is something ~$120-145, compared to the ~$25 of 8GB DDR3 RAM.

It will probably cost less than that because large amounts of those stuff are being manufactured for Sony but 399 is still pretty shady. Sony is definitely doing some sacrifices.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

The WiiU has already dropped in price. If it gets at least a dozen or two decent games a few years from now, and drops more in price (to a realistic 200$ or so) - its going to be very much worth it. Currently, however, its not.

I really expected Nintendo use the year before the PS4 and XB launch to take the lead. They had the opportunity, but it just didn't happen.

And now Sony has trampled all over them with the PS4 pricing. The only 2 things the WiiU had going for it were the reduced price and Nintendo exclusives. The former has evaporated, the latter are nowhere to be seen.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Has anyone seen the gameplay trailer for Bungie's "Destiny"? Looks very much like Borderlands only with better visual design. I don't know what to think about it really, it was the visual design that caught my attention in the first place but on the other hand I don't want to play a grindy MMO shooter. I'm hoping its more than that. And for a PC version of course.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game

Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined (of course).

Hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/killer-instinct-is-a-fun-free-to-play-xbox-one-launch-game

Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined (of course).

Hah.

That's low even for them.

I wonder how many full games will it be possible to buy for the full roster of characters.

The WiiU has already dropped in price. If it gets at least a dozen or two decent games a few years from now, and drops more in price (to a realistic 200$ or so) - its going to be very much worth it. Currently, however, its not.

I really expected Nintendo use the year before the PS4 and XB launch to take the lead. They had the opportunity, but it just didn't happen.

And now Sony has trampled all over them with the PS4 pricing. The only 2 things the WiiU had going for it were the reduced price and Nintendo exclusives. The former has evaporated, the latter are nowhere to be seen.

Big N's policy of not rushing their 1st party titles and only releasing them when they meet their stringent standards is definitely a hindrance sometimes.  That was partly the reason the 3DS launched without a single killer title and it was basically repeated with the Wii U.  I do admire the policy, though, as their track record of 1st party titles is impeccable.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dear Nintendo,

Consider releasing the following games and I might consider buying a WiiU in 2 or maybe 3 years:

-a proper Earthbound game, I don't care, let studio Studio Ghibli and Level-5 handle it.

-a Zelda game...with a an overworld...A PROPER ONE!

-a new F-ZERO game.

-a new STARFOX game, ships only! no walking around doing "puzzles", that sort of thing actually belongs in a Zelda game.

-a new No More Heroes Game.

-a new Conker game.

Edited by Astiaks
  • Like 1

Big N's policy of not rushing their 1st party titles and only releasing them when they meet their stringent standards is definitely a hindrance sometimes.  That was partly the reason the 3DS launched without a single killer title and it was basically repeated with the Wii U.  I do admire the policy, though, as their track record of 1st party titles is impeccable.

Yes but there are very few of them altogether. The core titles I mean, there is plenty of shovelware that follows them. Certainly not enough to justify buying the console.

Dear Nintendo,

Consider releasing the following games and I might consider buying a WiiU in 2 or maybe 3 years:

-a proper Earthbound game, I don't care, let studio Studio Ghibli and Level-5 handle it.

-a Zelda game...with a an overworld...A PROPER ONE!

-a new F-ZERO game.

-a new STARFOX game, ships only! no walking around doing "puzzles", that sort of thing actually belongs in a Zelda game.

-a new No More Heroes Game.

-a new Conker game.

I'd almost consider buying a Wii U for a new F-Zero alone.  F-Zero GX was so insanely awesome.  Why has it been so long since we've gotten a proper new game in the series?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'd almost consider buying a Wii U for a new F-Zero alone.  F-Zero GX was so insanely awesome.  Why has it been so long since we've gotten a proper new game in the series?

I also miss the old Turok games and Extreme-G...RIP Acclaim :(

What?

Earthbound's strengths don't lay (solely) in the visual category. So I have no idea why you would have level-5 of all people handle it.

So I have no idea why you would have level-5 of all people handle it.

Their games have interesting story and characters and they also make roleplaying games...good ones!

That's low even for them.

I wonder how many full games will it be possible to buy for the full roster of characters.

Don't you worry about that for a second. The developer is Double Helix, the maker of both Green Lantern and Battleship videogames. The amount of money you need to buy all the non-****ty characters will probably result in a cheap investment in the end

So I have no idea why you would have level-5 of all people handle it.

Their games have interesting story and characters and they also make roleplaying games...good ones!

What?

This is the first time I heard that opinion (It's yours though and writing is pretty subjective). But, I personally don't exactly hold games like White Knight Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy in high regard when it comes to narrative)